Author Topic: Difference between canti and V brake blocks?  (Read 5875 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Difference between canti and V brake blocks?
« on: 09 December, 2009, 10:43:35 pm »
...is there any?

Specifically, if I buy a couple rim-fulls of these, could I use them in V brakes OK or is it going to cause pain?

Cheers!

Re: Difference between canti and V brake blocks?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2009, 10:46:53 pm »
I thought the main difference was that V-brake blocks had bolts on them, but most canti ones had plain (ie unthreaded) mounts, and a clamp mechanism on the brake itself?

I can't see why these wouldn't work in V-brakes, they look pretty much like many other V-brake blocks, unless they've got the wrong picture there.

Edit: Sheldon says "...A recent variation on cantilever brakes is the V brake which dispenses with the transverse cable altogether. ...", so arguably V-brake blocks are canti blocks.
Actually, it is rocket science.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »
Right, I should have clarified: I do specifically mean screw-fitting canti blocks.

I just read that Sheldon article too, inspired by vorsprung's question on brake / level compatibility (I see he referenced Sheldon's diagram too)

On route I found this interesting page, which suggests that (a) my travel agent may catastrophically snap my brake cables (eek!) and (b) modern cantis like Onyx or Shortys are so good I should just be running these.

I take it that it's these modern "easy to setup" cantis that have the screw fitting blocks like V brakes. Which brings me full circle  :)

All very educational though. (Hmmm now, where can I find a canti cable hanger for a 31.8mm steerer tube, to try some of this out....?!!)

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2009, 12:29:54 am »
...is there any?

Specifically, if I buy a couple rim-fulls of these, could I use them in V brakes OK or is it going to cause pain?

Cheers!
Those will be fine.

Some cantilever brakes use post mount blocks which are no good for V brakes. Other cantilever brakes use the same type of block as V brakes.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2009, 06:36:34 am »
Oryx are horrid.  Plain-post cantis are also horrid.  Wide-profile cantis which take V-brake pads are good, although with straight bars V-brakes are best of all.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:16:12 am »
I haven't come across any cantis that take screw thread blocks.  I am assured there are some out there.  In the main, it's canti=post; V=screwed.

Cantis are best, of course ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:27:46 am »
The OP photo blocks can fit all types of canti and will work for a while but as the angles are wrong will wear out quicker in an odd shape....not cost effective at the end of the day :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:33:48 am »
cyclone, I have no idea how you would fit those to my cantis. ???

But I'd have to say that I've just changed from Clarks to Koolstop, and the difference is, well, scary, really.  The biggest problem with cantis is that a lot of shops (even supposedly decent ones) CBA to stock the blocks properly, so you're stuck with Hobson's Choice a lot of the time.  I would try hard to avoid Clarks blocks again.
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:38:14 am »
I would try hard to avoid Clarks blocks again.

Definitely.  Koolstop, every time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:51:21 am »
They do squeal, but they do stop you.  I used to be an Aztec fan, but they changed a couple of years back, and they're not tha same as they used to be.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2009, 10:30:54 am »
But I'd have to say that I've just changed from Clarks to Koolstop, and the difference is, well, scary, really.   I would try hard to avoid Clarks blocks again.
What do you expect - Hush Puppies provide much better friction!

Seriously, though, I agree that a bit of squeal from the brake blocks is far preferable to squeal from the rider.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Si

« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »
V-brake blocks had bolts on them,

Just to be awkward, I have Vs with the clamps on them (STX).
They are on the tandem and work just as well as the bolt on pad versions (if they can stop our tandem when loaded then they oughta be able to stop most things!).  On some frames (e.g. Dawes OneDown) they are better because the brake mounts on the fork are so far apart that using Vs with the bolt on pads means that they turn into 'A' brakes.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2009, 09:34:47 pm »
Thanks for the info folks, useful stuff  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2009, 01:26:44 pm »
I haven't come across any cantis that take screw thread blocks.  I am assured there are some out there.  In the main, it's canti=post; V=screwed.

I think it's some of the more recent canti brake designs that use the V-brake-style blocks. Paul's and Shimano's latest BR-R550, for example.

« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2009, 02:16:49 pm »
I think it's some of the more recent canti brake designs that use the V-brake-style blocks. Paul's ...

Oh, I like those.

Pauls have some interesting stuff on their site.  Their light mounts are quite neat, fairly simple, and obvious, but a bit of a bugger to build yourself unless you've got access to suitable engineering kit.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2009, 05:59:10 pm »
V-brake blocks had bolts on them,

On some frames (e.g. Dawes OneDown) they are better because the brake mounts on the fork are so far apart that using Vs with the bolt on pads means that they turn into 'A' brakes.

I'd agree insofar as v-brakes differ.   Stoker's 1Down originally had cheap v's which did resemble A brakes.   I fitted Avid Arch Rivals which definitely do not resemble A brakes.   The brake posts are set 80mm apart c-c on her 1Down fork, the supposed ideal spacing for v's.   

« Reply #16 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:14:17 am »
I think it's some of the more recent canti brake designs that use the V-brake-style blocks. Paul's ...

Oh, I like those.

Pauls have some interesting stuff on their site.  Their light mounts are quite neat, fairly simple, and obvious, but a bit of a bugger to build yourself unless you've got access to suitable engineering kit.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Paul's stuff. Simple but effective design, not stupid-light, and very high quality of manufacture. Not cheap, but you can see what you're paying for. I'm using those cantis on this bike and very impressed with them. I suspect some of the adjustment design might have been borrowed from the old Dia Compe 987, and nowt wrong with that.