Author Topic: Food and drink - from the Lab  (Read 3419 times)

Food and drink - from the Lab
« on: 08 March, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »
One for all of us who have worked in laboratories or similar (schools, factory quality control etc. etc.)
Prompted by a post made by Ian in another thread, I'll kick the ball rolling.

Having worked with radiation most of my life - in high energy physics labd and medical physics, I read somewhere  that rather ordinary whisky can be aged into something tasting like malt whisky by irradiating it. Sadly I have to admit that I've never tried this - on the very good grounds that it is illegal, and probably not a little dangerous.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19621018&id=xHAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2csEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7380,2048698

Maybe not a food and drink tale, but the Halloween where I 'borrowed' a gallon of liquid nitrogen, and took it over to the Postgrad club for the party was memorable. Probably doesn;t work as well as real dry ice, but sloshing it around the bar to produce smoke vapour was fun. Hate to think of what would have happened if I got caught...

ian

Re: Food and drink - from the Lab
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2010, 05:53:06 pm »
As mentioned, there are few drinks not enlivened by a few pellets of dry ice. (Not strictly food related, but if you drink half a bottle of coke, bung in several pellets of dry ice, and seal it tightly, be sure to throw it quickly before the resultant sticky armageddon consumes you). Liquid nitrogen can be used to make very good vodka cubes. With a little addition of pure ethanol and a bit of craft (it's a two step process to create the required alcohol gradient), you can make burning frozen vodka cubes. Not strictly useful, but quite literally hellishly good fun. They also slide really well along benchtops. Drinking lab alcohol is naughty of course, but burning it is perfectly fine.

Arabidopsis is a good substitute for mustard cress, works well in omelettes, salads and sandwiches. Remember to label the radiolabelled stuff well though, unless you want to scintillate. We never tried screening mutants for taste. For some reason, the damn grant people didn't want to fund that one.

Drosophila don't taste of anything. Which is good, because the little buggers tend to get everywhere.

There were always tales of lab rat BBQs and the like. But frankly, the only people stupid enough to do that were medical students, which is why they have to be segregated from the general population.

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »
We occasionally use liquid nitrogen. The delivery guy brings a 25 litre dewar and fills it from the tanker, producing 'dry-ice mist' right across the public road he stops on.  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:45:12 pm »
ISTR that some loonbucket turned up with a pannier full of dry ice before one FNRttC...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »
I went to a press party thrown by the Nat Geo channel a while back where they had various sciencey demonstration things laid on for our entertainment, one of which was making instant ice cream with liquid nitrogen. That was fun. And tasty.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:02:07 am »
My wife does that each term for her kids science club.  With what's left she does the smashing of  bunches of flowers and the freezing of a banana and using it to hammer nails into wood tricks.

We have a large Dewar flask on wheels!
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:12:14 am »
Top tip: Be careful not to get a dry ice pellet down the front of your top.

(Don't ask how I know this.)

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:03:04 am »
We've made dry-ice ice cream at work after deliveries of samples.

You just need some flavoured yoghurt (we used Icelandic skyr, cream and fruit would probably work too), wrap the dry ice in a cloth and bash it into a powder, add a few spoonfuls of the powdered dry ice at a time to the yoghurt while stirring vigorously.  The dissolved CO2 seemed to give the ice cream a fizzy acid flavour (add extra sugar to counteract the acidity if you want).

Make sure there are no big bits of dry ice left before you swallow it!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:11:56 am »
I've helped make liquid N2 ice cream. Tasty and way quicker than making ice cream in the normal way. It's pretty much the same method as Bruce desribed above. Take you basic mixer (eggs + cream + flavouring), add liquid N2, stir like mad, add more N2, stir etc. until you get the smooth ice cream texture.

Prior to the Christmas party a few years ago we wanted to make mulled wine, but we didn't have a stove. However, in the lab were hot plates and beakers, which worked just as well.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:18:05 am »
Top tip: Be careful not to get a dry ice pellet down the front of your top.

(Don't ask how I know this.)

Eek!  I've burned my wrist with it on a faulty dry ice machine, and that was bad enough.

One of the best things abuot working at Sheffield City Hall was the close proximity of a fountan for the disposal of unused dry ice :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:16:06 am »
When I worked in Sugar factory labs, we used to make butterscotch on the night shifts - boil up sugar in a huge beaker until it starts to caremallize, stir in butter, pour out onto stainless steel tray that the engineers made for us.

One night we decided to do some rum flavoured butterscotch. We boiled the sugar up a bit darker than usual, added the butter, then poured in some rum.

As soon as the rum hit the hot sugar solution it went...

WHOOOMPH!

and sent up a mushroom cloud of steam.  :o :o :o

When we crawlled out from under the benches where we had taken cover, we looked in the beaker, to find it had all recrystalized into buttery, rummish, slightly burnt sugar.  :sick:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:44:43 am »
If ever invited to a party where Penniless Chemistry Student Oaves have been given the task of making the punch, drink anything but this.  Two quid a gallon scrumpy with twigs in it, Cinzano Bianco, advocaat1, Watneys Red Barrel, dead dog cordial, water, anything.  You will not regret it if you live.

1 - a drink made from distilled lawyers
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:44:33 am »

I always used to think that 'Space Dust' belonged more in a laboratory than a sweet shop.   ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:58:30 am »
Pies warm up very nicely in Gas Chromatographs.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:23:43 pm »
Chicken dinners do not warm nicely in autoclaves.   :facepalm:

But a fistful of dry ice is perfect for a cocktail punch.  Especially the kind you serve in a bucket, full of eyeballs...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:37:44 pm »
Chicken dinners do not warm nicely in autoclaves.   :facepalm:

Maybe not, but you've reminded me of that programme where they powered a family home with bicycles and roasted a chicken in a polystyrene box using two 60W light bulbs.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »
It's reminded me of the curious drop in autoclave temperature seen at about 12:30 every day at Lotus, until they discovered that the workforce were using it to cook pies and pasties as well as car bodies.

The Mgt was not impressed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:48:42 pm »
<No drama here>
Our chemistry teachers plied us with iced orange squash during our A Level chemistry practicals during the HOT summer of 1976 despite Rules about Food & Drink in Laboratories.
It was a nice touch which evokes fond nostalgia after many decades.

I admit to using the school chemistry lab as a puncture patching place.

« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:06:58 pm »
The ice machine in the Bacterial Cultures lab provided us with the coolant for our drinks for many a summer barbecue, and senior management had been known to throw the odd party in the Chem Labs (glass beakers make better drinking vessels than conical flasks, and round-bottomed flasks are just dangerous).

Otherwise I didn't eat much in the labs - I kept ferret food in the Entomology freezer, used the incubator room to dry soggy cycle kit, and used the office for bike fettling when it was raining outside (the adjacent corridor was good for test-rides, though the safety officer had a word with me about that. Apparently, last time he'd ridden his bike indoors, he was so drunk he forgot to brake for the stairs at the end and nearly ended up in the basement with the electron microscope). 
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »
You boffins and your lab shenanigans makes me think of this pair: