Author Topic: Whither the Fakenger?  (Read 6783 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Whither the Fakenger?
« Reply #50 on: 24 February, 2010, 07:51:19 pm »
Toe clips.  Why do they so often use toe clips?  They're not very effective unless you wear shoeplates, and if you do that then you need to enjoy the sensation of toppling over onto your side, since there's no way your feet are coming out unless you have half an hour's notice to reach down and loosen the buckle.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 24 February, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »
I was riding around on a Galaxy with panniers anna Brooks saddle on the other day.  With a messenger bag for my laptop.  And I was wearing some Rapha kit.

I'm some kind of half-breed, right?

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:00:49 pm »

Living in the Fens? Something like that ;).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:04:34 pm »
I know someone who lives in The Fens.  When the local landmark is "the big carrot place" you know you're a long way from The Smoke and fakengerdom.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »
I know someone who lives in The Fens.  When the local landmark is "the big carrot place" you know you're a long way from The Smoke and fakengerdom.

There's a Daily Mail Mirror-esque programme on tonight, about the Fens and jobs and stuff...

The Day The Immigrants Left, BBC1, 9pm - mirror.co.uk

</totally_off_topic_now>

« Reply #55 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
I was riding around on a Galaxy with panniers anna Brooks saddle on the other day.  With a messenger bag for my laptop.  And I was wearing some Rapha kit.

apart from the rapha kit and lack of beard, that's standard 'engineering department lecturer' look.  Is that a compliment?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #56 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »
Toe clips.  Why do they so often use toe clips?  They're not very effective unless you wear shoeplates, and if you do that then you need to enjoy the sensation of toppling over onto your side, since there's no way your feet are coming out unless you have half an hour's notice to reach down and loosen the buckle.

Wut?

Nice big toeclips hold random street shoes in place, stop 'em skidding off in the wet.  They're great.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

simonp

« Reply #57 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:16:32 pm »
You all used to seem so nice.  :P

I might be tempted to ride into work on the Pompino tomorrow.  With the panniers, without the messenger bag.

Or maybe with, I need to take swimming kit tomorrow so the panniers might be a bit full.

« Reply #58 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:49:16 pm »

Wut?

Nice big toeclips hold random street shoes in place, stop 'em skidding off in the wet.  They're great.

I suppose that compared with some flat pedals, which look as though they have been sawn off the business end of a monstrously large meat tenderising mallet, toeclips are ostensibly the more appealing option. I guess Fakengers are too metrosexual wimpy for the "chicks dig scars" thing.  :demon:

That said, the Shimano DX-style flatties on my commute/hack bike grip better than they look - the pins aren't replaceable though, so if I ever have too much time on my hands, I might get busy with a drill and a hole tap, and procure a handful of grub screws.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #59 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »
Those pins never engage well with my army boots.

Big-ass plastic toeclips and vile fluo nylon straps for the win.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.