Author Topic: David Galle, bad accident  (Read 8053 times)

Martin

Re: David Galle, bad accident
« Reply #25 on: 20 December, 2009, 04:50:10 pm »
it doesn't matter if you don't know him that well; he's very keen to talk about cycling, was discussing the Lowlands 1200 (which hopefully will happen again after 2010) and HBKH with him.

just don't cycle down the main drive in this weather...

I believe Brian Howe is also of This Parish

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 20 December, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »
The main road is largely clear of SNO but the ungritted footways were a challenge for my wheelchair and pusher. We mostly stuck to the road.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 20 December, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »
The main road is largely clear of SNO but the ungritted footways were a challenge for my wheelchair and pusher. We mostly stuck to the road.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »
Saw David again today.
Slow improvement continues. Physios have had him standing, which he can now do without feeling faint as he's had medication to stop his blood pressure dropping too much.
He hopes to pedal a static bike in the gym tomorrow.
We rather surprised him when we told him we had no car.

bikebagg

« Reply #29 on: 28 December, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »
As my name has been mentioned in this topic it has resulting in correspondence from AUK members I have ridden with over the years.  I have been asked for the history and a progress report so I thought I would reply through YACF.

My condition, diagnosed as a stenosis of the spine, continued to get progressively worse from 2002.  I could ride my bike but I could not walk further than about 250 metres or stand for more than a couple of minutes.  To get beyond these parameters meant agonising pain down my left leg.

The only time I was without pain was when cycling.  With EL Supremos extraordinary, but normal, helpfulness and attentive care I qualified for PBP in 2003 and 2007.  I was successful in 2003 but brought to my knees by food poisoning in 2007.  At Loudeac I was only 45 minutes behind my schedule but when I reached Cahaix I had lost almost 3 hours and found it impossible even to drink tea.

Back operations were offered locally but with the threat of dire consequences and poor percentages.  I decided that whilst I was riding so well I would not have the operation because, it was suggested, I might not be able to walk, stand or cycle and that was just too much of a risk.  It was only when I went to Stanmore National Orthopedic Hospital that I found a group of people who where confident in their own skills and who offered a positive result.

I had my operation on the 15th of December and received visits from Dave Galle on a number of occasions.  I was released on the 22nd of December.

I have two incisions, one either side of my spine, through which metal rods have been screwed to fix three vertebrae.  Before the operation the “pinched” nerve, caused by the stenosis, was permanently trapped in position and I was all but completely disabled.  I was not able to walk or stand without considerable pain and rarely left the house after September.  This trapped nerve has been released and I believe two discs have been removed and replaced by metal cages which have been packed with the bone that was chipped away whilst releasing the nerve.

At present I am still somewhat sensitive from the operation but I have been for a couple of short walks of about 300 metres without any of the original pain so, this far, all looks good.

I have been told that it would not be advisable to ride my bike for at least a year and it could take two years before the bones, and metal, bond with maximum strength, but I will be able to walk.  As I have been unable to walk for almost 7 years I take this as a bonus and I am prepared to wait before I cycle again.

When last I talked with Dave Galle it was agreed that it is likely that neither of us will be riding PBP in 2011 so we agreed that we would be on the route somewhere manning a table and serving some good English tea and fruit cake.

Keep your eyes open, 24 hour service.

Brian

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #30 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:09:17 pm »
The success you have enjoyed with the Stanmore people bodes well for DG.
Hope your improvement continues as we do for DG

« Reply #31 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »
Saw David again today.
Slow improvement continues. Physios have had him standing, which he can now do without feeling faint as he's had medication to stop his blood pressure dropping too much.
He hopes to pedal a static bike in the gym tomorrow.
We rather surprised him when we told him we had no car.
:thumbsup:  I remember those sensations of not being able to stand without nearly passing out - so why are the physios so tiny, they'd not be able to catch me if I did pass out. It's a major milestone passed. Pedalling is another.  I don't know David and I doubt he knows my name but when I was in hospital it was heartening to know that strangers on line were passing on their regards. Please pass mine on to David.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 15 January, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »
Finally visited David today, after three weeks of Bank Holidays, sno, our central heating breakdown, partners back injury etc.
There was still sno on some of the verges, impeding my wheelchair progress in places.
David is continuing to improve and is now without a neck brace. He is regaining some useful lower limb strength but still has little strength or sensation in his upper limbs. He can feed himself.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
Went back to Stanmore today.
Met David in the café, where an Arun Adur rider was visiting.
David's condition continues to improve, but the rate of improvement is slowing.
He is able to walk short distances with a frame and has managed to climb very low steps.
Sensation and strength in his hands remain poor and pesky sachets defeat him entirely.
There's a provisional discharge date 5 weeks hence, but there are several aspects of self care for which he'll need assistance.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 10 February, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »
Saw David today.
He is making slow progress but seemed in good spirits when we saw him.
He'll have a day in a mock-up flat tomorrow, self-caring and possibly going out for a meal.
Walking is better but fingers are still rather disappointing.

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 10 February, 2010, 08:04:42 pm »
Saw David today.
He is making slow progress but seemed in good spirits when we saw him.
He'll have a day in a mock-up flat tomorrow, self-caring and possibly going out for a meal.
Walking is better but fingers are still rather disappointing.

I had an email from David; he is hoping to go home soon (he has a bungalow)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #36 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »
Thanks for the updates.

H

ed_o_brain

« Reply #37 on: 11 February, 2010, 12:07:35 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »
Returned to Stanmore earlier today.
David's walking is improving. Everything seems geared towards his return home on 8 March.
He's going back home for a visit next Wednesday when Stanmore therapists can meet and liaiise with district nurses and other professionals in Sussex.
Sensation in hands is still greatly reduced, as are grip strength and some arm movements.
Improvements continue but at a slower pace than initially.
David hopes to work on a belated edition of The Pedaller as soon as he is home...

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #39 on: 20 February, 2010, 01:17:02 am »
 Here is hoping his recovery continues swiftly.  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
Made what is probably our last trek to the Northern Heights today.
David should be going home on Tuesday morning.
He has done a workout on the exercise bike and managed to climb a flight of stairs!
There's still a long way to go with some personal aspects and his arms are still weak and numb.
Here's hoping for continuing recovery and adequate financial recompense...