Author Topic: The problem with LBSs...  (Read 4508 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: The problem with LBSs...
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I love building wheels. I find it quite therapeutic. It just works out more expensive.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »
my time is not infinite.
Time spent building a new wheel is time that could be spent working overtime, maintaining my car (which also saves money), or enjoying life by riding my bike, climbing, etc. Or, as in Kathy's case, studying for a professional credential that will presumably boost her income.  

My time isn't infinite either. That's why I very successfully try to avoid doing overtime. I can potentialy have lots more money than I have, but not much more time. I'd need to do about 2-3 hours of overtime to pay someone to do something I can do in about an hour, so I still say building my own wheels is much cheaper. Plus I'd have to travel to and from the bike shop which takes yet more time. And I won't have it ready that very evening and be able to go for a ride on it. (We'll just forget about the pair of wheels I've been meaning to build for my mountain bike for several about 7 months shall we ;))
So, it's true that I don't extend my scope for increasing my income. But on the other hand, I spend as little of my life as I can get away with clawing in enough cash to get by. Sure, I'd like more money, but to be honest, if I could do fewer hours at work and be a bit poorer, I would.
Time only equals money when you're getting paid. As you say, time is very valuable and limited and I personally can't put a price on my lifetime.

« Reply #27 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:24:50 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I love building wheels. I find it quite therapeutic. It just works out more expensive.  :-\

Part of the 'whole point of wheelbuilding' is reusing things that would otherwise sit in the shed getting dusty. Not all the parts in my wheel builds are new.
I also like building wheels  :)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:53:08 pm »
A set of handbuilt wheels even with medium quality hubs such as Shimano 105 will last more than two years, easily.

My time doesn't come into the cost calculation either. I don't get paid for spannering and I wouldn't be getting paid for doing something else while I am spannering. I enjoy it, it would be like paying someone to go cycling for me.

My attitude to home wheel building is that I enjoy it, I like the idea of doing it, and I can do it adequately, but it is a process where subtlety and experience play a big part in the skill of doing it, and someone who does it all day every day is always going to be infinitely better at it than I am. Not because they know more about it or because they know some secret I don't, that I want to someday find out, but just simply because they do it all the time. Consequently a wheel that a professional can build in an hour is probably going to be better than a wheel I could build in 3.
It's a bit like fixing your own car - it's something I like the idea of doing myself, but it's just one of those things that someone who does it all the time is always going to be better at.
That said, I probably will do it myself at some point in the future, and I agree that it is fairly therapeutic, it doesn't require a particularly intense degree of concentration, you can do it while listening to the radio or watching telly and just watch it get better and better as you twiddle the spoke key.

« Reply #29 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:03:42 pm »
YMMV. I don't think my professional wheels are any better than my homemade ones. Time isn't the issue, it didn't take me long.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:11:44 pm »
I've never had a wheel built by anyone else that stayed true.  Having said that, I've never had a Harry Rowlands or Pete Matthews wheel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:16:48 pm »
YMMV. I don't think my professional wheels are any better than my homemade ones. Time isn't the issue, it didn't take me long.

+1
I trust my own wheels better than my LBS. I've seen wheels from my LBS on clunruns, ridden by those who do muxh fewer miles than me and running slightly out of true.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:35:13 pm »
I am sufficiently cruel to my wheels during the build process that I *know* they will never suffer worse on the road, short of being run over by a bus.  The only set of wheels I had from our LBS (the boutique type that sells £4000 Pinarellos) pinged furiously the first time I rode them and had about as much tension as the elastic of my oldest underpants.  Needless to say, I had to rebuild them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #33 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »
I can't yet rebuild wheels and I paid someone to build wheels for me. (I did attempt it once.. I was very slow and ran out of time).

They are still true after somewhere between 4 and 6k on Manchester's potholed roads and one accident. They are bomb proof.

If I ever get the fixed recommissioned, I'll attempt a rim-job.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

If I ever get the fixed recommissioned, I'll attempt a rim-job.

Be sure to tell us about it please.Will it be posted in NSFW?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:50:43 pm »
I was going to say that 27 pounds to build a wheel at your LBS sounds a lot, but then I did the maths and allowing for UK average wages being about 4x Polish, it works out the same as the price mentioned in a Polish magazine article I read last month (where they did say the point of building your own wheels is not to save money, but gain satisifaction).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.