Author Topic: Goodness Gracious How Audacious  (Read 4781 times)

border-rider

Re: Goodness Gracious How Audacious
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2010, 11:07:49 pm »
You didn't notice the bit then where I said I decided to ignore terrain as I had no data?
I didn't really understand what you are comparing and don't have a spreadsheat application with which i can view your file. So ignoring terrain, what are you using to generate your difficulty index ? Please can you list the variables for me ?

At the present time the variables are total distance, total climb and min speed.  At a later date I could refine the model fto take account of terrain. (Possible by counting peaks and troughs from an elevation profile).
The ultimate aim is to have an easily calculated statistic which indicates the hardness of a ride. as far as it is possible to do so, in advance of the ride taking place.

But neglecting terrain removes the very thing that makes "hardness"

That you have no data on it doesn't stop it being the determining factor; that you do have data on it doesn't make overall climbing any sort of correlate with "hardness"

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:48:00 am »
my formula passes this test  ;-)
Chief cat entertainer.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #27 on: 13 March, 2010, 01:23:25 pm »
probably also depends what bike you're riding. e.g. "long and draggy" might be easier on a fixed whereas short and sharp might be easier on a geared, also climbs near the start are harder. Distance climbed in one continuous climb x minimum gradient (of that continuous climb) squared x distance from the start would be an interesting calculation.
e.g. a real steep bastard of a hill right near the end would get lots of points because the gradient is squared but also it's right near the end so you've got all the other miles in your legs already.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #28 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »
I've done some more work on this. This latest effort seems to deal with the points raised, terrain in particular.
http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/docs/hardness3.xls