Author Topic: Proof of Passage  (Read 4625 times)

DanialW

Re: Proof of Passage
« Reply #25 on: 24 March, 2010, 05:50:24 pm »
I've had a similar conversation with others recently.

As the regulations don't go into detail about what a brevet card actually is, I believe that a brevet card can take any form that is agreed.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #26 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
Yes, replacing receipts with an Organiser's stamp/sig in the appropriate boxes seems OK to me too.  I've done that before now.

As for stapling - well I'm afraid that's something of a rarity.

Most of my Perm riders provide numbered (Proof of Passage) PoP with detail transferred to Brevet Box.  I check these, sign in the box (to prove I have accepted PoP) and discard the PoP.  To keep PoP beyond here makes it messy as the Cards then go to Validation with SAEs and the bulk costs to post.  I am sure JW prefers to receive just Card and SAE and not an additional bundle of paper, stapled or not.

As Perms can start anywhere on route, time of passage may determine a garage/shop closed to some, so alternate forms of PoP are inevitable.  Photo evidence works fine (I use this on my Perms when I prove I am on Trike) and a GPS plot is also pretty conclusive.  Imagination and ingenuity will prevail!  Many riders also explain the origins of their PoP with apologies for nameless and 'wrong time' receipts.  I have often used the same outlets, so that will prove their honesty!

A completed 200k/14 hr Perm deserves a Brevet and I will not penalise an 'honest' attempt to provide PoP.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #27 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:47:44 am »
I was slightly concerned earlier this year when an organiser of a (BRM as it happens) calendar event took the receipts out of the card and threw them away, thus removing all evidence of passage at the three intermediate controls.

Phil was being discreet as usual - or else its my guilty conscience - but I suspect he was referring to the Willy Warmer. Following a  common practice I leave inkstamps or sheets of stickers at unmanned cafe controls for rider self service, and rely on receipts elsewhere (supermarket, ATM, etc) . Often smaller cafes tills do not generate AUK legal receipts and it seems inappropriate to force riders to use a cafe - it may be crowded, for example - so stickers seem a good compromise. At least riders are encouraged to visit the nominated control which I think adds to the event. Anyways, given that other controls are vouched by a sticker it seems a short step to replace receipts with a stamp in the brevet on return to base. More of a concern is reminding riders to fill in the Info boxes!

P.S., the Willy Warmer brevets have landed and will be in the post over the weekend. Sorry they've taken so long. I overlooked the fact that for BRMs the cards have to be sent to the validators, not just the finishers list, which rather delayed things. Orgs take note!

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:05:57 pm »
Often smaller cafes tills do not generate AUK legal receipts and it seems inappropriate to force riders to use a cafe - it may be crowded, for example - so stickers seem a good compromise. At least riders are encouraged to visit the nominated control which I think adds to the event.

agree completely about this; a willing cafe (which may well have hired extra staff for the event) with stickers / stamp is the best possible commercial control on many events and much nicer than a pavement-side paper cup of coffee (if that) so should be supported.

A special mention to Winnersh Sainsbury's whose cafe had closed but still allowed us to buy food from the store and eat it in the warm and comfort  :)