Author Topic: Allan Ainslie Memorial Tibetan Tour 125k Sunday 21st March  (Read 1891 times)

Allan Ainslie Memorial Tibetan Tour 125k Sunday 21st March
« on: 16 March, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »
I have entered this event and have rec'd my route but no information about where the event starts or directions to the start. Anyone have any idea?

Re: Allan Ainslie Memorial Tibetan Tour 125k Sunday 21st March
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »
They normally start from Hawick CC's clubrooms which are here in Teviot Crescent just off the High Street down by the river.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »
And normally a cracking day out
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
See you there, bodach  :thumbsup:

Hawick CC events were always well run and well attended.  Now that they only do a 100k (or 125k this year) they attract a 'faster' type of rider (and me  :P) so you will have plenty of riding companions to hang in with.

Me, I may be tempted to ride this on single speed - after last Sunday I could use some extra training effort.

Rich753 - will you be riding?

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »
'fraid not - found out yesterday I've got a touch of pleurisy, so breathings a bit painful  (plus I haven't got the miles in  >:()

Single-speed eh!  Not completely converted then?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:02:00 pm »
  Many thanks for that all. As this is only 125k I will be making this my first ECE event if the weather looks favourable. I do like these quiet borders roads.

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »
I had the daft notion in previous years to do an ECE starting from Innerleithen and going to Hawick via Gordon Arms and Tushie'.

But, I think it was shorter to take the main road and now that the route uses those same roads I would be riding the same section three times in the one day.  :hand:

Tushie' to Roberton is one of my favourite bits of road and I wouldn't want to wear it out!

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
ECE events in previous years! I have always thought you were a man before your time Innesh.

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2010, 11:11:28 am »
Due to  a bit of foolishness on Tuesday I have to pull out of the Tibetan Tour. My cracked/bruised ribs from the tumble at the Dave Harris are very painfull so I will have to be sensible (very difficult) and rest for at least this weekend.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2010, 07:25:05 pm »
Bodach - your ribs seemed OK when you did the Saltire last Sunday, what happened to you on Tuesday?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2010, 08:33:34 am »
Foolishness was to try to keep up with Liz as she ran down to Linlithgow at 6am on Tuesday. The jarring brought on the relapse. The only time I had any pain on the bike was when I had to get out of the saddle on the hills. I am feeling very frustrated about this as I thought I was going a bit better this year. I will try a gentle spin on the turbo today to see what happens.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
Foolishness was to try to keep up with Liz as she ran down to Linlithgow at 6am on Tuesday. The jarring brought on the relapse. The only time I had any pain on the bike was when I had to get out of the saddle on the hills. I am feeling very frustrated about this as I thought I was going a bit better this year. I will try a gentle spin on the turbo today to see what happens.

You are going better than last year - this time last year (Port Navigation) you were behind me on the climbs. This year (Saltire) you're in front.

Git. ;)
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »
Valkyrie, I enjoyed your reply but it made me laugh which hurts! I promise to stay behind you next weekend.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:38:09 pm »
Due to  a bit of foolishness on Tuesday I have to pull out of the Tibetan Tour. My cracked/bruised ribs from the tumble at the Dave Harris are very painfull so I will have to be sensible (very difficult) and rest for at least this weekend.

Ah Bodach, an injury sustained not cycling - it sounds familiar.  I accepted a last minute invite to a game of a 5 a side football on Friday lunchtime which meant playing in my spd shoes [that I cycle to work in] and have managed to do some damage to most of my lower right quarter - from the gluteaus maximus (= buttock) right down to my anke.

Saturday morning was spent lurching about like quasimodo, Saturday evening spent sitting down drinking much Stella in Glasgow.  No cycling for a wee while for me either I think.  Ah well, Ive got next weekend off anyway.

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »
Remember the maxim "if you run you get injured". And football is even worse! Sorry to hear you're crocked G. Hope you are fixed soon. If I've not sufficiently recovered I could be available to assist this weekend.

« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:47:44 pm »
Well, I am blessed with good ribs, so I went to Hawick.

There was a really good turnout for this, just as Hawick CC deserve - their arrangements, catering, and route were all spot-on, as usual.  :thumbsup:  As you might expect at this distance, there was a strong smell of carbon at the start.  ::-)

I rode on single speed and it was nothing like as difficult as I might have expected, even with a Pompino made from wrought iron and shod with 32mm tyres on Sputnik rims.  I didn't build it as a climbing machine.  :P  It was a joy to ride: sure, a lighter bike would have been faster and easier on the many hills, but salar55 was keeping us company and dragged us up the hills.  Cheers Ronnie.

The route was a perfect audax route - Hawick, Newcastleton, Langholm, Ettrick, and over Alemoor to finish.  Next to no traffic, hardly any main roads, fantastic scenery, good controls etc., etc.

I'm really glad I went.  :)