Author Topic: car boot sales  (Read 1091 times)

car boot sales
« on: 05 April, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »
i was going to go to a big local one today, but it was closed.

the aim was to see if there were any cycling bargains to be had (especially classic old lightweights). anyone here go to these things regularly and, if so, are they a good source of bike booty?
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Re: car boot sales
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2010, 07:24:15 pm »
i was going to go to a big local one today, but it was closed.

the aim was to see if there were any cycling bargains to be had (especially classic old lightweights). anyone here go to these things regularly and, if so, are they a good source of bike booty?

One of the biggest here in Leeds has been closed because they, the law, was not able to stop people selling stolen and counterfeit goods.

Re: car boot sales
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:14:14 pm »
Friend of mine had their bike nicked and was advised by the Police to visit two local car boot sales, and ring them when he found it. Sure enough there it was....the guy had innocently bought it (and the other two which were also stolen) in a pub... Police knew he was lying, but couldn't prove it. Still bike was recovered.

Our local one is even funnier... Trading Standards let it be known that they would be visiting, an surprisingly there were far fewer cars there.

Funniest thing is that they had actually been the previous week, and were looking to see which regulars had avoided being there the week they were officially attending. They (along with the Police) then targeted these individuals and prosecuted about a dozen for counterfeit, unsafe or stolen goods. One was a local electrics firm shifting the stuff they couldn't sell in the shop as it was electrically unsafe.

Personally wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.