Author Topic: Chariot skates: a new way to die horribly  (Read 3557 times)

Julian

• samoture
Chariot skates: a new way to die horribly
« on: 30 March, 2010, 11:32:26 am »
These were in the Metro this morning:

Chariot Skates

The guy who created them is a cyclist, skater and skier who wanted something new to commute on and came up with these.  They can do 40kph and look like a carbon-fibre way to break your neck.

I want. :D

Re: Chariot skates: a new way to die horribly
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:37:45 am »
Kudos to the couple in the picture for refusing to stare at 'em.   ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:52:47 am »
Revolutionary?  New?  ISTR there's a Victorian engraving of such a device reproduced in one of my books - maybe even Ballantine.

Stupid?  Yes.  New?  Way no, dude!
Getting there...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:55:54 am »
To stop, one grabs the wheels. Faceplantastic!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2010, 12:07:31 pm »
Not purely original but I'll bet they run a jillion times nicer than a pram-wheel and some clogs, which was the Vicky approach.

(why are threads like this flypaper for me?)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:26:38 pm »
Do not chariot wheels traditionally have scythe blades attached - that would help clear a path thro' gawking pedestrians.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »
Not purely original but I'll bet they run a jillion times nicer than a pram-wheel and some clogs, which was the Vicky approach.

(why are threads like this flypaper for me?)

I thought of you when I saw the article.  :)

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »
I saw these in the Metro today. Surely for stopping you could either have two brake levers on bicycle-style cables, attaching to hub brakes, or even have two ski poles attaching to the hubs, with hand grips and brake levers?
I guess with ski poles you would have to progress with a sort of skiing motion (natch).

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2010, 05:18:17 pm »
Can you get Marathon Plus tyres for those as my London commute is rather...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »
A braking hub would pitch the rider. Why not control speed like regular skates, as the guy in the video is doing? ???
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2010, 05:43:08 pm »
It's a novel idea, and with practice they clearly work very well.  The motion and behaviour of the users looks very much like normal inline skates, so I guess if you can use those, then it'll be an easy transition.

Braking does look "interesting", although I would imagine that if you can t-stop competently on inlines, then it won't be a lot different on these (my t-stopping is useless however!)

The price is what worries me.  From their FAQ:

How much will they cost?

We are still developing aspects of the design and manufacturing process so production costs are not yet finalized. However, a good indication of price can be drawn from a comparison with carbon fiber bicycle frames. A large pair of Chariot Skates has a total of nearly 2.5kg of carbon fiber (includes two large wheels and foot/leg supports). A quality carbon bike frame has around 1.2 to 1.6kg of carbon fiber and retails for around US$3,500 to US$8,000. Manufacturing products using carbon fiber is not cheap because, apart from the material cost, it is a very labor intensive process.

Which seems to be leading up to a price of several thousand dollars (if and when they ever appear on the market). :o

I think I need to pop over to Serpentine Road and see how scathing they are of them. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »
... I think I need to pop over to Serpentine Road and see how scathing they are of them. ;D

Hmm, only moderately scathing as it turns out!  Very restrained behaviour.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2010, 11:06:02 am »
I think they are a load of tosh, personally.  A solution looking for a non-existant problem.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2010, 11:58:16 am »
These were in the Metro this morning:

Chariot Skates

The guy who created them is a cyclist, skater and skier who wanted something new to commute on and came up with these.  They can do 40kph and look like a carbon-fibre way to break your neck.

I want. :D

I am shocked. You were reading The Metro?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »
I think they are a load of tosh, personally.  A solution looking for a non-existant problem.
Segway, pre-chopped carrots . . . shall we start a list?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2010, 01:59:18 pm »
10 speed hubs, Windows Vista