Author Topic: GM Motors' anti-cycling campaign  (Read 4083 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: GM Motors' anti-cycling campaign
« Reply #25 on: 14 October, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »
Did you live in a palace? My rent didn't even come to 100 quid a month!
Er, no, I lived in a shithole. I'll take you there one day, if you're bad. The monthly rent was £520 and there were four of us with a bedroom each. Funnily enough, once I'd qualified and got a job, I was living in hospital accommodation and that was only £70 a month. It was really really really awful though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #26 on: 14 October, 2011, 09:54:17 pm »
Did you live in a palace? My rent didn't even come to 100 quid a month!
Er, no, I lived in a shithole. I'll take you there one day, if you're bad. The monthly rent was £520 and there were four of us with a bedroom each. Funnily enough, once I'd qualified and got a job, I was living in hospital accommodation and that was only £70 a month. It was really really really awful though.

MODS!!!!! MOVE THIS TO NSFW NOW!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2011, 01:11:54 am »
Back on topic and away from Kirst's s... :hand: 

In one of the Bill Bryson books where he "Does" America he points out that true poverty there is not having a car, never mind the rent etc.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #28 on: 15 October, 2011, 10:34:00 pm »
Aiming advertising for $30,000 cars at students?

Forget the message, it's the strategy that's insane.

Advertising isn't selling the product but the aspiration. Aspire to a 30k car, buy a used one and the chain percolates so someone can buy a 30k car.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #29 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:46:25 pm »
The only people I knew at university with cars were two rich bastards guaranteed a seat on the board of the family firm and one disabled person.

My rent was £18 per week at a time when the going rate was about £25.  You can imagine how good our house was.

we paid £7 a week in our final year :)

That really was a shithole.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #30 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:58:47 pm »
That wasn't me, that was Steph.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

« Reply #31 on: 16 October, 2011, 07:32:39 am »
That wasn't me, that was Steph.

I have a reputation to besmirch.... ;D

« Reply #32 on: 16 October, 2011, 09:38:00 am »

we paid £7 a week in our final year :)

That really was a shithole.

We were fairly similar. You had to jump across a gaping hole in the entrance to the house where the floorboards had rotted away. When it rained, the kitchen floor ended up under water. You had to remember not to wash up (hah! we were students!) when the washing machine was turned on, because some dodgy electrics meant you could get a shock if touched that and the steel sink. Beds were mattresses on the floor. One room had "Zob", a huge mouldy growth from a leak in next door's bathroom.
Obviously no heating, except an inadequate open fire in most rooms - which did little to counter the draughts from the loosely fitting windows or raise the temperature of big rooms with very high ceilings. And this was in Upper Bangor (you actually ride very close to my old house on the Irish Mail), so for much of the academic year the climate was cold, wet and windy.
But what we saved on rent paid for an awful lot of beer, which made the place much easier to live with. When we eventually all left, we borrowed a minibus from the SU to return our empty crates of Newcastle Brown. Over the years these had been used to raise beds from the floor, act as legs for worktables (with a piece of plywood put on top), chairs, etc. We had to make more than one trip, because we couldn't fit them all in  :)
If we'd been in a nicer place the landlord would probably have complained about all the bikes stacked in the house, or using the kitchen as a woodwork shop for making speaker cabinets for the student union PA system, or us keeping a rabbit in one of the rooms...

« Reply #33 on: 16 October, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »
One room had "Zob", a huge mouldy growth from a leak in next door's bathroom.
He lives in my house now, I didn't realise he had a name...
Should I be charging him rent?

red marley

« Reply #34 on: 16 October, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »
Oh dear, I seem to have stumbled into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch by mistake.

Sort of back on topic...

There's a great line at the start of the Hollywood remake of "State of Play" where a cop and reporter are investigating the shooting of two people, one of whom was on a bicycle. The dialogue goes something like

Reporter, looking down at dead body by bicycle: Who was this guy?

Cop: Vernon Sando. He's got an MBA from Duke.

Reporter: An MBA? What was he doing on a bike?

Steph

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »
Indeed. I give you the film "40 Year Old Virgin"