Author Topic: Barbury Bash  (Read 3674 times)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Barbury Bash
« on: 01 June, 2009, 07:39:09 am »
Anyone done this before or doing it this year?

Re: Barbury Bash
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:08:46 am »
I'll be doing the 200k version

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:19:45 am »
Ahem:
Events organised by YACF members

Scottl' - have you entered yet? If not, PM me for EOL.

(Route-checked the 200 yesterday - 3 started, 2 DNFs ! Lovely ride, though.

Ross - the gauntlet is lain down. Will you be the only helper to actually complete the ride? I think there may be a curse on this event.)

Pumpe: just got your email. No problem, will reply later ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:17:24 am »
Ta, didn't realise it was your ride!  How much climbing is there?

(have also just entered Rural South 300 on saturday and am staying nearby)

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:46:00 am »
I shall be there doing the 100 so Ross won't get a chance to be surly at me  :) And because I'm rather out of practice.

Previous editions of the 200 have been slap on the suncream and drink lots of water.  It isn't flat but more constantly rolling than vicious if I remember.  A great ride all over the downs.

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

scottlington

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:09:31 pm »
Ahem:
Events organised by YACF members

Scottl' - have you entered yet? If not, PM me for EOL.

(Route-checked the 200 yesterday - 3 started, 2 DNFs ! Lovely ride, though.

Ross - the gauntlet is lain down. Will you be the only helper to actually complete the ride? I think there may be a curse on this event.)

Pumpe: just got your email. No problem, will reply later ...

Yeh, I did search but strangely didn't come across that...  ???

Mattc - I have entered - went in post on Saturday.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »

I think there's less than the Rural South :)

Actually, we don't have an official figure. Going by bikely, it's about average. But the last 30km is all downhill, so it feels kinda tough on a hot day until that point!

You will get deja vu when you meet PhilD at controls on both events.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »
I'll be being surly and unhelpful at the 150km control.  :)

Oooh! me too!!

Rode most of it yesterday with Matt. Felt like cr*p after about 80k -- couldn't deal with the heat and lack of a PhilD at 100k to give me a banana... Matt towed me to Pangbourne (165k), where I decided to get on a train ::-)
My head just wasn't up for it yesterday - though only having riden 70k in the past 8 weeks probably had something to do with too!

The views were lovely though :)

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »

I've just been looking at Tracklogs, which seems reasonably accurate if you keep out of the mountains, and it reckons the Barbury Bash 210 has 2733m of climbing (2006 edition), the 110 1371m and the Rural South (2008) 3896m.  All a bit hilly!

Nik

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2009, 06:34:15 pm »
I'll be being surly and unhelpful at the 150km control.  :)

Oooh! me too!!

Rode most of it yesterday with Matt. Felt like cr*p after about 80k -- couldn't deal with the heat and lack of a PhilD at 100k to give me a banana... Matt towed me to Pangbourne (165k), where I decided to get on a train ::-)
My head just wasn't up for it yesterday - though only having riden 70k in the past 8 weeks probably had something to do with too!

The views were lovely though :)
And now I feel like a complete sh!t.  On Saturday evening I was suggesting to Mrs D that maybe I'd drive down to Chute and dispense cold water (yes, maybe a banana, too) to any passing route-checkers.  But in the end we decided that the timing was a bit vague, and she really wanted to go to Mottisfont.........

Sorry.

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:35:34 pm »
And now I feel like a complete sh!t.  On Saturday evening I was suggesting to Mrs D that maybe I'd drive down to Chute and dispense cold water (yes, maybe a banana, too) to any passing route-checkers.  But in the end we decided that the timing was a bit vague, and she really wanted to go to Mottisfont.........
Sorry.

Oh dear! Sorry Phil -- didn't intend to rack you with guilt!! Checking out a control the week before an event really is above the call of duty!
The timing was very vague - we flew down to Barbury castle (8hr pace), and then crawled along to Chute. Think we were on 11.5 hour pace by then...
Don't beat yourself up too much (Matt's already done that in a ruthless bid to keep hold of his club Audax trophy...)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2009, 02:00:43 pm »
3 working days to go, thought I'd got away with it, but then:

Underpaid postage card on my doormat - £1.30 for the privilege of having that rider on my event. When I find out ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2009, 07:18:40 am »
I'm going to DNS this - I really don't fancy a horrendous wetting on what would be my longest ride so far this year  :(

That decision now made hopefully it'll brighten up for the rest of you  :thumbsup:

Nik

scottlington

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2009, 07:51:06 am »
DNS I'm afraid.  :(  Heavy rain this morning when I first woke up made that decision for me! If you do venture out, have a good ride! Apologies to the organiser.

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2009, 11:47:39 am »
DNS I'm afraid.  :(  Heavy rain this morning when I first woke up made that decision for me! If you do venture out, have a good ride! Apologies to the organiser.

Hope they appreciate our sacrifice - it stopped raining at 8am in Oxford and now I'm watching it steaming off the garage roof in the sun ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:05:22 am »
Weather sacrifices much appreciated chaps.

Most riders stayed entirely dry. A few 100k riders watched some raindrops from the Barbury cafe, but that was about it. (Mind you, there were a couple of people with puncture magnets fitted to their machines, which may not be unrelated to Saturday night's deluge.)

But who would have predicted that at 0730h?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:47:48 am »
A great ride... not a drop of rain, although there were ominous forces gathering in the skies above Didcot on my return.  Lovely, lovely route, one of the best 200s I've done, great mixture of rolling roads, lanes and satisfying hills with short one up to Barbury castle being the only breathless one.  Almost the perfect 200 I'd say.

Big thankyou to MattC, PhilD, RossBD and Dr Bru. Matt did an excellent job of organisation with no room at all for improvement.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:04:26 am »
(I got wet when I did the ride on Saturday and DNF'd after about 180km as the route got temptingly close to home.)

Aaargh! The curse continues!

(Still, one less bit of paperwork for me ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

scottlington

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:24:55 pm »
A great ride... not a drop of rain, although there were ominous forces gathering in the skies above Didcot on my return.  Lovely, lovely route, one of the best 200s I've done, great mixture of rolling roads, lanes and satisfying hills with short one up to Barbury castle being the only breathless one.  Almost the perfect 200 I'd say.

Big thankyou to MattC, PhilD, RossBD and Dr Bru. Matt did an excellent job of organisation with no room at all for improvement.  :thumbsup:

Bugger! I wish I had ridden this now! If only the rain wasn't quite so heavy when I woke up and if only the bed wasn't quite so comfy....  :-\

« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2009, 03:52:47 pm »
Given all the super comments about this ride (thought it looked a good route) I am just sorry I was unable to make it this year. PLEASE  :) say it will be on next year's calendar Matt.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.