Author Topic: Heavy load  (Read 3641 times)

steveB

Heavy load
« on: 29 May, 2008, 05:05:43 pm »
I've just been getting my stuff together for eight days away touring, it weighs about 9-10 kilo's (not counting bags).  It seems a lot of weight to me.

I don't want to look like a tramp, nor do I want to take too much stuff.

Do you travel light or heavy?

Re: Heavy load
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:12:25 pm »
I think your kit is about the same weight as mine - when I just did the ACF Blue Moon ride and home (250 miles).   I'd hate to think how much I'd pack for 8 days!   The BEER fridge weighs more than anything I can think of at the moment, and where would I mount it???

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:18:17 pm »
I always pack too much.
10 kg doesn't seem like a lot to me.

You think manufacturers should put recommended weights on bikes? (Riders + luggage?)

Always been concious of overloading my audax bike when I go away for weekends.

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
Make sure you leave room for provisions etc... bottles of wine / pack of beer .
The bike certainly feels heavier once these have been added  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:23:48 pm »
Since I like to use my Carradice and QR Bagman I never take more than 10 kg (summer) for a few days away...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

steveB

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:26:02 pm »

You think manufacturers should put recommended weights on bikes? (Riders + luggage?)

I'm glad they don't - I wouldn't be able to carry any luggage at all!

I'm glad you all thing 10kg is a modest weight, I shall now put the unnecessary stuff I've removed back in. :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:26:04 pm »
Surely 10kg is nothing to worry about?

My son when he's on the back of my bike weighs about 16kg and sure, I notice the difference, but it's not too bad. The biggest difference is the handling, but that's because he's quite high up.

I'd always assumed that if you were touring you'd easily carry twice that amount...

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »
I carried 5Kg of stuff on the Severn Across 400 audax, and regretted it. Made the hills harder, and I'm fairly sure the additional weight contributed to the repeated attentions of the Faeries.

Touring is different though - and 10Kg doesn't seem unreasonable amount of stuff. As long as you have a bike that's rufty tufty enough, specifically wheels and tyres. Do you have a triple?

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »
I travel light, either when hiking or biking.  I chose my kit carefully, to maximize the weight:£ ratio and I also don't mind a bit of discomfort: when hiking I don't pack a change of clothes, for example.  When bike touring I wear 3/4 length baggies which I'll also wear when off the bike, just without the bib shorts on underneath! :)
My kit, without bags, including tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove and cooking utensils, waterproofs, tool kit, first aid kit, etc. weighs about 6kg.
B&B touring, I reckon I can get the weight down to 2-2.5kg.

What are you taking to get your weight to 10kg? :)

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:28:37 pm »
Dunno how much it weighs, but two small panniers (35 litres the pair, I think), saddlebag, tent, sleeping bag and thermarest is enough for me for a week or so for a summer tour in the UK.  I'd guess around 8 kg, not including food or water.

Remember: spirits are lighter than wine or beer, unit for unit.

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:29:54 pm »

Brown paper bag not included ;)

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »

Brown paper bag not included ;)

In fact, why bother with a tent and sleeping bag when a cardboard box and motorway flyover would do?

steveB

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:39:46 pm »
Touring is different though - and 10Kg doesn't seem unreasonable amount of stuff. As long as you have a bike that's rufty tufty enough, specifically wheels and tyres. Do you have a triple?

Oh the bike's fine for carrying the weight and the gearing is low enough for anything (not sure about the rider), and we only travel slow and steady with loads of stops for cake and the odd half dozen beers.

Anyway, 2 x 60 litre panniers (60 litre per pair), an 8 litre top bag, plus a bar bag - this should be enough space to bring home wine and cheese :)  

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2008, 02:47:21 pm »
Well for my weekend camping trip I is taking my trailer loaded with a 4berth tent, double air bed, and a couple of changing of clothes.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2008, 03:40:36 pm »

I'm glad they don't - I wouldn't be able to carry any luggage at all!

I'm glad you all thing 10kg is a modest weight, I shall now put the unnecessary stuff I've removed back in. :thumbsup:

I must go back and re-calculate how much I had on the bike when somebody asked me to take some weights to a keep fit session.   I put a complete barbell and dumbell set on the bike... which having browsed the Argos website  I guestimate could have weighed somewhere in the 35 to 50kg range :-\