Author Topic: Exmouth Exodus 2010 - 26th June  (Read 5598 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
Re: Exmouth Exodus 2010 - 26th June
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »
What a fine ride, nice route (mostly), good finish with excellent service and mediocre grub (soaky black pudding, watery beans).  I missed getting a stamp at the controls, tough ::-)

Many people on this night ride, lots of fixed riders (even some cool 'urban fixers' - the ones showing their tattoos while enjoying a post-ride fag as opposed to uncool audax fixers ... I am one of the latter :'().

No honestly, a great ride and I can see this becoming the South-West's Dunwich Dynamo.

Thanks a lot to all the people who made this possible. Thanks.

PS: Front wheel did a great job...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2010, 02:31:17 am »
Meegat and Kim, did you get out of the Fractal Toilets of Taunton (surely related to the Roundabouts of Cumbernauld) okay?

Yep.  After eventually resorting to some strategic use of the bushes, and a couple of hours dozing on a bench at a bus stop (turns out we were going for the full mini-audax experience), the railway station eventually opened.  The first train back to Bristol turned out not to be crammed with cyclists as we feared it might so we got our bikes on with, well not ease exactly (real stroke of genius there by First, to have bike spaces that are too small to properly fit even our relatively small-framed steeds), but minimal difficulty.

My odometer ended up at 137km, of which about 112 was shared with Meegat, so she gets the metric if not the imperial century, and a decent introduction to night riding.  Hopefully next year she'll have a bit more stamina for climbs, and I'll remember to bring my cycling lungs with me.  Must remember to book that weather again - I did most of it in shorts and jersey without feeling cold until I stopped, and I quite like the option of functional braking while descending Cheddar Gorge.

The ride was excellent, and the big climbs aside, much flatter than I expected.  The awesome moon and spooky (but surprisingly non-cold) mist just added to the atmosphere - IIRC Meegat's comment was "It's all gone a bit Playstation 1" as we passed through a particularly thick patch of it.  As with everything, I reckon it would be a bit more fun as part of a decently sized slowish group.

The ranty letter to Taunton council about their general lack of toilet facilities, and overuse of recursive pointers to other closed toilets in explaining said lack, will have to wait until I've had some proper sleep.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
IIRC Meegat's comment was "It's all gone a bit Playstation 1" as we passed through a particularly thick patch of it.  

Late at night we can't afford the polygons, so we just turn up the Z-fade. ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2010, 07:53:55 pm »

Ah, I thought it was all those light-sources causing detail drop-off. :p

Sorry for bailing! OTOH probably better to quit with a feeling of 'I'm gonna do that again next year but with more spinach, damn it!' than finish at a slog, vowing never to ride it again. Of course, did ponder the wisdom of this slightly when on the tour of Taunton's finest closed lavatories.

Nobody told me it was bat country!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »
IIRC Meegat's comment was "It's all gone a bit Playstation 1" as we passed through a particularly thick patch of it.  

Somerset is so flat, the vistas extend for miles and the r-speeds become excessive.  You need more hills, or at least some random walls and wrecked spaceships here and there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »
Somerset is so flat, the vistas extend for miles and the r-speeds become excessive.  You need more hills, or at least some random walls and wrecked spaceships here and there.

A wrecked spaceships ride would be cool.  Might be a bit difficult though :(

« Reply #31 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:49:17 am »
Hmm.

SW15, Bristol, Exmouth, SW15 is just over 600km.

A DIY 600 is no good for next year's SR for PBP but I'll think about it for 2012.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:45:57 pm »
It's *likely* to be running in August next year...so hopefully will see some or all of you again.

There are some pics of this year's ride on my flickr account.