Author Topic: Camping gear that sucks  (Read 10635 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Camping gear that sucks
« Reply #50 on: 29 September, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »
I was in Blacks at the weekend.  They're stocking a new range of sleeping bag which are effectively 'loose' mummy bags.  Shoulder area is 90cm across, instead of the usual 75-80cm, and the foot area is also a better shape and less restrictive than most mummy bags.

They only had the summerweight bags in but will be getting the winter weight ones when stocks become available.

Downsire is I can't remember for the life of me what the range was called...  :facepalm:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 29 September, 2010, 04:46:29 pm »
Fat Airse?
Getting there...

« Reply #52 on: 29 September, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »
I've got a couple of Marmot sleeping bags that are not restrictive, and I'm not an especially slim chap.  They are a USanian brand so may be cut for the fuller figure.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #53 on: 30 September, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »
Mummy-shaped sleeping bags.  All of them.  No matter how lightweight, warm or otherwise blingworthy.  It's no good if you wake up after two hours with excruciating back pain.

If I'd known you could have checked out my "Mountain Equipment" Sleeping bag.

I have similar issues with "Mummy" sleeping bags.

The ME Bags have a couple of nice features:

1) Foot-shaped foot space which means your feet don't get bent over. 

2) Elasticated middle section.  This is the genius bit.  They look like a regular bag but the middle section expands.  This means you can sleep on your side or front with a knee sticking out.  The elasticated bit also means it still hugs you and doesn't leave cold spots.  The ability to have a knee sticking out when sleeping may not be a big deal to most people but it helps me doze off.  It also means you can sit up in the bag a bit easier

It has all usual features, shoulder baffle, drawstring hood and so on.

Possibly worth checking out the new range, mine is several years old now but I couldn't use a regular, restricting bag any more.

Agree with all this, my Mountain Equipment Bag (Dreamcatcher) is great. The middle section which doesn't constrict my legs works like a, well, dream.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #54 on: 30 September, 2010, 11:07:03 pm »
I still prefer Karrimats sometimes.  Much much lighter and you can sit on them on stony ground without worrying about punctures.
Indeed.

So light they may as well not be there
So cheap they may as well be free
Tougher than old boots.  I'm sure I've got a karrimat that's outlasted my boots.