Author Topic: Camping ride this weekend in Wales/Cotswolds  (Read 2208 times)

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
Camping ride this weekend in Wales/Cotswolds
« on: 14 March, 2011, 03:18:56 pm »
Having recently started in the world of audax riding and with a couple of weeks of B&B touring in South Africa in December, I'd like to give a bit of camping touring a go and thought I might try heading off to Wales this weekend. I have all the kit I think I'll need including tent, sleeping bag/mat, small stove and a touring bike with racks/panniers.

The plan is to catch a train out to Cardiff from London and basically ride back over three days with two nights camping at campsites along the way:

Friday night - New House Farm in Powys (Campsite-New House Farm)
Saturday night - Hayles Fruit Farm in the Cotswolds (Campsite-Hayles Fruit Farm)

Apart from the fact that the weather might be nasty and ice/snow on the roads, has anyone used these campsites before?

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
Re: Camping ride this weekend in Wales/Cotswolds
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »
Well, I'll be staying at these places anyway, so will report back.

« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »
I have stayed at Hayles Fruit Farm a couple of times. Nice little site. If cafe is open they do some reasonably priced snacks.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2011, 09:51:22 pm »
And you need to tell us how did you get on? Ps Powys is breath taking.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »
It was stunning - pictures don't do it justice, nevertheless, here's some shots I took:

Wales - London 3-day Tour - a set on Flickr

The camping at the sites was very good - the New House Farm near Rhos-goch was totally empty and I enjoyed the whole place to myself - freezing cold in the morning, but the day warmed up nicely with no ice on the roads. The second spot in the Cotswolds was also empty except for a couple of caravans, but they were quiet.

This is the first time I've camped while touring - the first cycle tour I did was a few months ago in South Africa, but I was staying at B&B's and guest lodges. Got to say, I really liked camping and definitely plan to do more of it. The Beacons and Cotswolds were murder on the legs with all the extra kit and found afterward I could have taken about 10 pounds less gear - clothing I didn't use, things like bike locks and various bits I took as 'just in case'

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »
Very inspiring! What make of bike were you riding?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PH

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:05:20 am »
Looks like a great trip, another example of how much buitiful countryside is just out there waiting.
The Beacons and Cotswolds were murder on the legs with all the extra kit and found afterward I could have taken about 10 pounds less gear
It is a bit of trial and error to find how much/little is right for you, don't be too ruthless though, I've found it's easier to regret not having enough than carrying a bit too much.

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:17:20 am »
Very inspiring! What make of bike were you riding?

It's a German bike called a VSF Fahrradmanufaktur T400 - pretty heavy expedition bike, but it's very strong with Tubus racks, Magura hydraulic brakes and comes standard with a Shimano dyno-hub, which I'll be swapping out for a regular front wheel to reduce weight at some stage.

Looks like a great trip, another example of how much buitiful countryside is just out there waiting.

Yip, and I'm heading back to Wales in 3 weeks for the Elenith audax, but I'll be on a slightly lighter bike with just a saddle bag :)

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:18:35 am »
Very impressive. I'd never be able to be so organised. Glad to see the bog roll in pride of place in the first picture  :) And you brought a full size rubber hammer?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:22:11 am »
Bog roll AND Immodium.

Over equipped.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:30:34 am »
Haha - I took one look in my medicine cupboard and thought I'd be better safe than sorry - tipped the lot into a zip-lock bag! Yes, bog roll and rubber hammer...

Well, I know for next time.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:36:38 am »
Great pictures. I'm off to Powys next week, hope to have a good time like you.

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
How did the t400 behave? Fab photos btw.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »
T400 is a bit on the heavy side, but it's tough as nails and came back in one piece, so I'm happy with it.