Author Topic: Calderdale Road Safety withdraw "cycle helmets save lives"  (Read 1341 times)

Calderdale Road Safety withdraw "cycle helmets save lives"
« on: 04 February, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »
Along my commute some illuminated traffic information panels have started displaying road safety messages, including "Cycle Helmets Save Lives".

I complained about the accuracy of the message and received a response from the Highways Manager - Calderdale Council have agreed to withdraw the slogan  :D

Of course I am now kicking myself for not suggesting other messages that promote driver education, but it is excellent they have taken the time to review the complaint and evidence and act on the conclusion.

Thank you for your e-mail in connection with the above

The essence of your complaint seems to be that the message ‘Cycle Helmets Save Lives’ is not supported by conclusive evidence and as such should not be displayed to the general public as a statement of fact.

I have reviewed the information you have provided and concluded that the message is an oversimplification and potential overstatement of the situation.

Whilst cycle helmets will have actually saved ‘some’ lives, and in that respect the statement is correct, the inference conveyed by the message does perhaps overstate the position in respect of potential fatalities and the inference that lives will regularly be saved solely by the wearing of a helmet.

Although a large percentage of cycling fatalities present themselves with serious head injuries, it seems to be the case that it is seldom stated that those head injuries were in themselves fatal when assessed against the other injuries received by the casualty. In addition, there does not seem to be a reliable body of evidence that assesses the survival rates purely attributed to the wearing of helmets.

I believe that there is sufficient evidence to support a statement to the effect that cycle helmets substantially reduce the risk of serious head injuries and there is a subtle  interpretation of the ‘saves lives’ wording which conveys the message that the ‘quality of life’ for both wearer (and possible subsequent carer) is often ‘saved’ by the wearing of a helmet. However, that is probably not what the average reader will infer from the text.

In view of all of the above, we will be withdrawing the message ‘Cycle Helmets Save Lives’

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Calderdale Road Safety withdraw "cycle helmets save lives"
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »
:thumbsup:  That's progress from an authority whose cycling officer once advised against giving bikes as Christmas presents :facepalm:
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »
Nice work.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »
Success - well done, tubbs.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »
great result! Well done

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »
Good. Except this:

"Although a large percentage of cycling fatalities present themselves with serious head injuries, "

is wrong.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »
Result  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »
My feelings are kind of mixed about this. I am not sure that he has accepted the point. It seems more like the easier route to withdraw the ad than to argue what appears to him a fine point about saving lives versus saving injuries.

More of a feeling that he doesn't want the conflict than that he is convinced - so he feels that has met the militant wing of the National Cyclists' Front - which is not how I'd want to leave it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2011, 12:32:47 am »
My feelings are kind of mixed about this. I am not sure that he has accepted the point. It seems more like the easier route to withdraw the ad than to argue what appears to him a fine point about saving lives versus saving injuries.

More of a feeling that he doesn't want the conflict than that he is convinced - so he feels that has met the militant wing of the National Cyclists' Front - which is not how I'd want to leave it.

Fuck it. He's admitted he's sufficiently wrong to withdraw the public lecture.

Maybe he knows he's wrong but won't admit it?

Or maybe he'll think about it and come round over a few months ...

Pick your battles!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2011, 06:33:55 am »

What I was most bothered about was the retina burning message that was on display to thousands of motorists. There has been a recent slew of publicity about helmet laws and this sort of message adds to the insidious background noise on this issue.

If they have pulled the message that is good enough for me, although I do plan to go back with some suggestions about other cyclist related safety messages that they should promote, and see how that goes down.

« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
Congratulations.   The main point is that you did something about it and definately got a result.   All too often we see things that we disagree with but take the line of least resistance because we don't think anyone will listen to us.
I would like to suggest that the message you see in many other countries, "Give a cyclist 1.5 metres (yards) of room"is an idea worth promoting to the motoring public.   IMO one of the main deterrents to new cyclists is vehicles passing them with inches to spare at inappropriate speeds.   Earlier this week I was passed with inches clearance by a vehicle which was at least a metre inside the white line in the centre of the road and there wasn't even a vehicle approaching from the other direction!
As a near neighbour of Calderdale I wish you every success.

« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2011, 11:38:19 am »
"Give Cyclists Room" ?
Rust never sleeps

Nightfly

« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
The following saves lives:

Do NOT speed.
Do NOT dial and drive
Do NOT drink and drive

Use your indicators
Give cyclists and pedestrians plenty of space.

Perhaps you can suggest to the local authority that they put out these messages?

« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »
"Hey! Fatboy. You're dribbling."