Author Topic: around Ireland ?  (Read 1707 times)

around Ireland ?
« on: 13 February, 2011, 09:28:26 pm »
I've done a quick search , and not found anything ,
so , is there a tour route arround Ireland , thinking of a tour for next year , so Id'e better get planning

my name is McCarthy which apparently comes from the Cork area , so i thought i'de pop in

Ade

Re: around Ireland ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
You could visit all the bars call McCarthy's then write a book about your trip.  I bet you'd read it already haven't you. McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:36:48 pm »
I did a circuit last year, but didn't have time to do all the SW peninsulas. Jane also did a similar tour, IIRC.

Round Ireland - Wonderful. Finished. With more photos.

Different counties have different bike routes - most of which are scenic loops, out and back from a town.
I ignored them and just followed the roads pretty near to the coast.

It was a truly wonderful place to tour.

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »
thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:, err no  :facepalm: i have'nt read it , but i shall put in an amazon order lickity split  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
Stay away from the midlands, they can be boring, an example of a nice tour would start in Cork city for example and then follow the coast up to Sligo. You can take a ferry from Tarbert to Killimer to avoid the boring stretch around Limerick city, also the ferry is usually accompanied by dolphins.

I am from County Clare and spent most of my time riding from the town Ennis to the coast, and I love the Burren area. It is not the easiest place being quite bumpy and windy but it is beautiful.

rwa.martin

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:48:20 pm »
I've got a book - "Cycle Touring Ireland" by Brendan Walsh. Gives a round Ireland tour route. Dates from 1997 so not modern but you'd be welcome to borrow it. PM me your details and I'll pop it in the post.
Rich.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:35:41 am »
There's also Eric Newby's book - Round Ireland in Low Gear  (or something like that, Amazon has it)

Rob

rwa.martin

« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:52:07 pm »
CrazyGuyOnABike has this journal that may interest you.......http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=6864&v=12o

« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »
@ Gordy
 how did you find the going on your fixed bike ,

I might consider doing it on my 1934 raleigh  (when i've got it back together ) which has a sturmy archer 3 speed and drum brakes  ;)

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:53:22 pm »
@ Gordy
 how did you find the going on your fixed bike ,

It was a single speed i.e. with a freewheel for downhills.
I've done a fair deal of fixed touring in the past and now think it's silly.  ::-)

I'm quite content to walk and push as soon as it gets hard, so a single speed is fine for me. It would drive others crazy, I'm sure. I reckon it reduces my daily distances by 10%.

« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
fit a 20 tooth sprocket on the s/a and you should get up most hills in ireland :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2011, 12:57:43 am »
There's also Eric Newby's book - Round Ireland in Low Gear  (or something like that, Amazon has it)

Rob

Newby's book is entertaining enough, but gives very little route information.