Author Topic: Electric bikes for those with injured knees  (Read 5377 times)

Electric bikes for those with injured knees
« on: 20 April, 2011, 03:52:42 pm »
Anyone with experience of electric bikes? My wife is seriously contemplating getting one. Arthritis in her knees means she can't cope with:
A) Putting down one foot when she stops - so has be able to get both feet on the ground when stationary.

B) Pushing on pedals with any degree of force.

So she's contemplating something like a used Giant Twist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Electric bikes for those with injured knees
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »
My Mum's just bought an electric bike and she did try out lots of them.

She bought a Trek Valencia in the end - quite an expensive choice but she felt it was smoother and just better quality than the Giant and Raleigh she tried. That said, they weren't bad - if anything she thought they gave too much assistance, which might be a good thing, depending on your point of view!

She did also try a cheaper one in Halfords and liked it.

I'll summon Crystal Tips and see if she remembers more details of the search!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »
Cycleworks have a demo valencia, btw.

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »
When I worked for Company of Cyclists, we had a Giant Lafree, the forerunner to the Twist, and it was lovely, but I don't know how the more recent models compare.

Have you had a look through Electric Bike Magazine?  Free to read online, or you may be able to pick a paper copy up at Cycle Heaven, I think.

Electric Bike Magazine: the independent guide to power assisted cycling

(yes, I work for it, but I figure as you can read it free, it's ok to plug it...)

There are plenty of dropped top tube models, and currently you still have the option of pedal assist (where you have to be turning the pedals for the motor to work), and the throttle type where you can, if you wish, just power along without pedalling - the latter type isn't allowed in Europe, and legislation may well standardise in the UK too, although it's unlikely to be retrospective, so anything bought legally now will stay legal.

As with any bike, test rides are much recommended - there are the usual issues of fit and posture, and then there's the ease of use of the assist, how smooth the throttle is, how easy the battery is to charge etc.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »
mrs.jogler has a folding electric bike from

:: Juicy Bike :: stylish electric bikes and scooters ::

& WE ;D are very pleased with it

ETA this bike was purchased as a result of mrs. jogler having knee issues which required surgery,making a step-thru frame desireable.A folding model was chosen for the portability.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
Cycleworks have a demo valencia, btw.
Cyclesense at Thorp Arch have quite a few demo electric bikes too - mostly Kogas, but I think they do Giant as well.

I was going to plug Electric Bike Magazine on account of the fact that I sorta-kinda-work for it, but Arch beat me to it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »
A) Putting down one foot when she stops - so has be able to get both feet on the ground when stationary.

FWIW that sounds like trikes might also be an option.  They're conducive to twiddling, and the getting a foot down thing is a non-issue.  Can also be electrificationised, I believe.

Just a thought...

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »

FWIW that sounds like trikes might also be an option.  They're conducive to twiddling, and the getting a foot down thing is a non-issue.  Can also be electrificationised, I believe.

Just a thought...

OT a little: MFWHTBAB has a Dad who has a bike he never rides, and a little electric bike he never rides, and for some reason a hankering for an upright trike to never ride (he apparently reckons recumbents 'don't work'  ;D)  MFWHTBAB showed him a bunch of Velo Visions to explain what I do at work, and now he wants an electric upright tricycle (to never ride...)  I suspect MFWHTBAB has better things to do, but his love of tinkering will mean he does actually build one... ;)

Sorry, as you were.

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »
I have tried to convince her to look at electric trikes, but she ain't keen. A low top tube is only an issue in as far as it makes it easy to ride in a long skirt - she can lift her leg up easily, it's just pushing pedals around that's hard.

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »
I have tried to convince her to look at electric trikes, but she ain't keen. A low top tube is only an issue in as far as it makes it easy to ride in a long skirt - she can lift her leg up easily, it's just pushing pedals around that's hard.

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it on.

Glad to help. My mention of the low top tube BTW, was just because you mentioned her need to get both feet down when stopped - too high a top tube would make that less comfortable....

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:16:10 pm »
My wife likes the look of the Elios, sold here http://wooshbikes.co.uk/white-elios/.

She's realised that many of the ebikes just have electric assist; she knows that she can't rely on being able to pedal at all, so wants an e-bike that has a full-electric option.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:38:09 pm »
I can confirm that Cycle Sense at Thorp Arch *do* have electric bikes for demo purposes if you want to try a few out - they have 'proper' e-bikes as well as electric-assist bikes (and trikes too, of course)

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:44:46 pm »
Two types of bikes to choose from really

The first such as the LaFree requires pedal input and then subsidises this so you have to pedal.

The other has a throttle and you can Freewheel. The latter sounds more ton your needs

Note all of them need some speed before you can activate the motor -so pulling off will require pedal input

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »
What sort of riding will you be doing? For local runs, rides of up to - say - 15 miles they look useful. When you start to push the limits, you then have an even heavier bike to pedal. Been thinking of one for Mrs Ham for some while, so she could join me out riding for longer rides (20 - 30 miles ish) but I would say the technology is not there, yet. You will note from that I have no actual first hand experience, tho'

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
Transport - one side of york to another. Maybe 7-8 miles in a day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »
Right - work is offering B2W scheme, but only through Evans.

We are looking at the Claud Butler Glide I 2011 model. Anyone have any experience of these?
<i>Marmite slave</i>