Author Topic: Beeped twice - one good but not for me, one bad  (Read 1695 times)

Beeped twice - one good but not for me, one bad
« on: 07 July, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »
I was cycling down Shaggy Calf Lane in Slough one evening lately.

First, I heard a red van beep behind me. At the traffic lights I asked why. The driver said, "No, that was not for you. It was for the pretty girl on the pavement."

A minute later, I heard another beep behind me. This time it was a blue van. At the next traffic lights the driver left me with, "Use the cycle path, and if you're such an enthusiast, get a fucking helmet".

Bah. The nice beep was not for me. The bad one certainly was.

annie

Re: Beeped twice - one good but not for me, one bad
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:59:15 pm »
I was cycling down Shaggy Calf Lane in Slough one evening lately.

First, I heard a red van beep behind me. At the traffic lights I asked why. The driver said, "No, that was not for you. It was for the pretty girl on the pavement."

A minute later, I heard another beep behind me. This time it was a blue van. At the next traffic lights the driver left me with, "Use the cycle path, and if you're such an enthusiast, get a fucking helmet".

Bah. The nice beep was not for me. The bad one certainly was.

I didn't realise that those sort of helmets were available?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:58:11 am »
Did you not?

I think all men have them  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:52:32 am »
Phew, I was going to say mine came installed with one.

Pete

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:43:04 am »
I'm sorry to admit that, driving through Haywards Heath last Sunday morning, I hooted at a cyclist.  She was coming towards me, slightly uphill, struggling and wobbling a bit when signalling a right-turn, and just for an instant I honestly feared she hadn't seen me (no eye contact, you see) and was about to turn across my path.  It's so easy to let your little finger stray to the horn button, and I was having a bit of a (metaphorical) bad-hair day at the time anyway.  I shouldn't have hooted, I know, I should have made allowance for her.  At least I didn't cut her up in any way.  She looked daggers at me but didn't say anything.

If anyone on here was that cyclist (unlikely), sorry!  :-[

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:50:09 am »
What's wrong with that Pete?  If I thought an oncoming motorist was going to turn right across me, I'd beep them with my AirZound as well as slow down.  That's what the horn is designed for, surely?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pete

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:04:49 am »
What's wrong with that Pete? 
Nothing really, but the cyclist looked a bit wobbly and my hooting could have caused her to go down.  I would have done better to be just in a state of readiness for anything.  Anyway I feel a bit guilty about having momentarily strayed into the 'opposite camp'....