Author Topic: Where to live in France?  (Read 5156 times)

Re: Where to live in France?
« Reply #50 on: 09 September, 2014, 03:45:35 pm »
I think the smaller nearby towns would be more to my liking, but Bordeaux definitely ticks many of my boxes!

That would be my suggestion but didn't suggest it as I like going to that area and not seeing Brits!

Great cycling in any direction and love the Aquitaine/Landes region; so nice to cycle down the coast.

Best of luck on your search.

« Reply #51 on: 09 September, 2014, 04:04:29 pm »
My in-laws used to live near Brive. Climate, housing and people meet all your requirements, but transport was a right bugger. Spectacular landscape, wonderful views. They had a large 4-bedroom house with multi-car garage, basement with huge workshop + climate-controlled wine cellar, outside kitchen (covered with cookers and bbq), pool with poolhouse and 5 acres of woodland. I think they sold it for about 400k euros.

I believe Cahors has decent air connections. That's not so far away.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #52 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »
Then look at Bergerac, Lalinde, Villeneuve sur Lot, Villefranche de Rouergue, Cahor, Sarlat de Caneda, Le Bugue etc. etc. All nice places.

I refer you to earlier in the thread!

TimC

« Reply #53 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
I do hope chez vous will have lots of camping space at the back........  :P

Quite possibly - but no-one ever came to camp at the current riverside chez TimC, despite a couple of acres of available camping space!

TimC

« Reply #54 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:49:34 pm »
I think the smaller nearby towns would be more to my liking, but Bordeaux definitely ticks many of my boxes!

That would be my suggestion but didn't suggest it as I like going to that area and not seeing Brits!

Great cycling in any direction and love the Aquitaine/Landes region; so nice to cycle down the coast.

There's only one of me, and I'm not very big. You won't notice I'm there!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #55 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »
I do hope chez vous will have lots of camping space at the back........  :P

Quite possibly - but no-one ever came to camp at the current riverside chez TimC, despite a couple of acres of available camping space!

We did try camping at your existing gaff but you was away!  But a French option sounds excellent!

« Reply #56 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:19:39 am »

Last time i was in Bordeaux some rock star was about to give a concert.  We were staying on the docks by the U-boat pens and there were 4 artics parked up with the name of the performer on the side.  British - are there any French rock stars who'd need 4+ lorries?

They illuminate the U-boats pens at night in a rather eerie red.  The acoustics inside are amazing. 

It's a very happening place and lots of utility cyclists despite the 'orrible tram tracks.  Driving is like Paris - no quarter given. Apart from the rock star we were the only Brits there.
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #57 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:48:19 am »
the 'orrible tram tracks

I forgot about that. The tram system is new since I lived there. Would have been very handy too, since the blue line has stops almost on the doorstep of where I lived and right outside the school where I worked.

I do remember driving in Bordeaux though. Not something you forget in a hurry. Yes, very much like driving in Paris.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TimC

« Reply #58 on: 10 September, 2014, 11:56:45 pm »
I don't anticipate driving in Bordeaux much, or even cycling. Whatever the delights of the city, I shall probably find them as easy to resist as I do those of London, which is less than 50 miles from where I now live. I will undoubtedly visit the airport, but that doesn't involve going through the city.

I'm now looking closely at the bastide villages between Agen and Bergerac. Apparently, cricket teams are legion. I don't play cricket, but I'm very happy to sup a wine or two while gently nodding off to the sound of leather on willow. And that's not a BDSM reference.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #59 on: 11 September, 2014, 01:19:00 am »
I was born in Levallois-Perret in the suburbs of Paris, as was 1905 Tour de France winner, Louis Trousselier. 

The similarity ends there.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #60 on: 11 September, 2014, 10:22:50 am »
I don't anticipate driving in Bordeaux much, or even cycling. Whatever the delights of the city, I shall probably find them as easy to resist as I do those of London, which is less than 50 miles from where I now live...

You need to be under 40 to really enjoy Bordeaux.  it has dodgy districts too.  We got a bit lost and ended up in the S. of the city and it was clear that we were objects of suspicion to the local capos.  Fortunately we kept the motor running.  I also into another area whilst cycle touring where cyclists were regarded as good targets; luckily the rain set in.  Not many campsites either.   
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.