Author Topic: Why UK Keyboard Not Working?  (Read 814 times)

Why UK Keyboard Not Working?
« on: 30 November, 2011, 12:03:41 am »
In the UK, on this Compaq Evo N620c running Vector Linux 6.0, I have a Compaq UK keyboard plugged into the keyboard socket, and it's working fine in terms of being QWERTY, but various keys do not correspond, most importantly when I want @ I get ", and vice versa.  Also, ~ gives me | and when I want to use a GBP sign, I get #.  The hash key, on the other hand, gives me \

I thought I could fix this by using VASMCC (like Control Panel on Windoze) to change the keyboard mapping to United Kingdom, but this makes no difference.

What do I do?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Why UK Keyboard Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:23:48 am »
It probably thinks that it has a US one plugged in.

We use three kind of keyboards at home and I keep on banging my head on the table as OSes seem to assume that people don't switch keyboards. I would try the vector linux forum, on Debian/Ubuntu it involves editing a text file (can't remember the name though).
Chief cat entertainer.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:27:01 am »
Might be the locale setting. At least it doesn't think you have a french or belgian keyboard.. That way lies madness, though a Turkish one was pretty bad. Having to remember the country mappings for a VT102 was also interesting - switching keyboard modes to get the characters you needed..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2011, 11:12:22 am »
What does this command show?
setxkbmap -print

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2011, 12:24:34 pm »
It's a local problem but local is set at two different layers, one for console and the other for X. Not familiar with Vector so I would ask on their forums about where exactly it is set.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
Partial workaround found by using

setxkbmap -uk

and now need to find, from VL boards, where to put that command so that it is executed at boot time, or find another way of resolving.

With Ctl-Alt-Del issues and my Linux machines, I ofter ask simultaneously on VL board and here, and usually get a much quicker answer here.  I think VL is mainly Canadian, so by the time they've woken up and scratched their heads ::-), you've got there!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help.