Author Topic: Lansaprazole details  (Read 1823 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Lansaprazole details
« on: 16 May, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »
Re Lansaprazole Gastro Resistant 30mg capsules.

I've been on these for a long time (though no longer take any every day).  A couple of things puzzle me - that I haven't remembered to ask doctors about.  I know I should ask my doctor, but I'm not going to make any appointments any time soon.

1. The leaflet with the capsules tells you not to "take it at the same time as any other indigestion medicine".  Why is this?  Because it could it just spoil the effectiveness; or because it could be too effective; or because some other bad thing could happen?  nb. I know that Lansaprazole is meant to be taken in advance to prevent indigestion in the first place (by reducing acid production) - but sometimes I haven't taken enough in advance in my attempts to minimise the usage for long-term health reasons.

2.  What does the "gastro resistant" mean?  Do they just take longer to dissolve than normal capsules, or do they pass whole through the stomach to dissolve in the bowel?

Thanks for any knowledge.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Lansaprazole details
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »
I believe you're correct about gastro-resistant - they're coated in something designed to pass through the stomach and dissolve in the bowel.  Important with drugs that don't react well to stomach acid.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »
Yes, the gastro-resistant means they get to the place they are needed before the coating is dissolved, or whatever, so the medicine is delivered in the right place.

I assume they say not to take them at the same time as other indigestion remedies (gaviscon?) as perhaps they interact in some way (perhaps the gastro-resistant thing doesn't dissolve if your stomach is full of chalk!)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:46:16 pm »
AIUI The stomach contents are acidic (full of hydrochloric acid, pH 1-2), the duodenum has an alkaline medium.
Gastro resistant capsules won't release content in acid but will in alkali.
Indigestion meds are often alkaline, so might cause your capsules to break open at the wrong time.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »
Interesting, thanks.  Would anything bad happen if the capsules opened in the stomach other than the drug not working?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »
I take omeprazole, which is essentially the same thing.

Doc told me that if I took it with food or on full stomach, it wouldn't be absorbed and wouldn't work properly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2012, 02:08:15 pm »
Interesting, thanks.  Would anything bad happen if the capsules opened in the stomach other than the drug not working?

Don't think so, but it's 'wasted'.

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »
LANSAPRAZOLE...ZOTON    proton pump inhibitor..used to treat stomach and duodenal ulcers

OMEPROZOLE...similar to above

both have tiny granules coated with `stuff` so they don`t get zapped by stomach acid(s)
for more details go to  www.netdoctor.co.uk  look under medicines A to Z