Author Topic: New and existing audaxes - near York - July 14th  (Read 915 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
New and existing audaxes - near York - July 14th
« on: 27 June, 2012, 11:22:28 am »
The Three Bridges 161 audax is running again, this year it's on July 14th. It's the usual 100 mile loop, taking in the wolds and the Humber Bridge, a cafe stop at the bridge before heading home via Boothferry and Gunness bridges and another cafe stop at the waterways centre in Goole. There are usually a good couple of groups to ride with and the route is almost all flat, making this an ideal first imperial century.

New for 2012, the Bridges and Beaches 225 takes you through some of Clifton CC's favourite roads in scenic Thixendale before stopping for ice cream on the beach in Bridlington. From there it turns south along minor roads to the Humber, where it rejoins the Three Bridges route. The terrain is a little more varied than the Three Bridges and includes some climbs in and out of Thixendale, so this provides a good option if you'd like a challenge or if you want to ride a classic Audax 200+ km distance.

Both rides start from Stamford Bridge Scout Hut, Low Catton Road, Stamford Bridge.
The Bridges and Beaches 225 starts at 08:00 and the Three Bridges 161 starts at 09:00. The scout hut will be open from 07:30.

Entry is online, here for the Bridges & Beaches or here for the Three Bridges. Entry is open until July 4th, EOLs are fine but if you plan to do that, please bring a filled-out entry form with you to save time, and I'd also be grateful if you could drop me a line to say you're coming so that I can plan the food.  Feel free to ask me questions on here, but my internet access will be sporadic for the next few days as I'm going to watch some bike race or other in Liege.

See you in Stamford Bridge!  To whet your appetite, here are a few photos from yesteryear.

The slower of the two main groups, just out of Stamford Bridge, York

Quiet roads near the start

MSeries on the hilliest bit of the whole 3B route

Lance pays us a visit on the way home

Crossing the Humber (photo from a different ride)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: New and existing audaxes - near York - July 14th
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:45:05 pm »
I have an entry from someone who puts YACF as his club, but whose name I don't recognise.  Stranger, identify yourself!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:28:34 am »
It was a good ride Mr Bunbury, thanks for the effort in setting it up.

The route out through the Wolds to Brid was lovely, I enjoyed the moment I could see the sea in the bright blue sunshine.  Then the return leg to the Humber bridge took in some of the roads Mrs Shyumu and I have used when cycle camping in the area.  Essentially traffic free, and yet "proper roads" none of that Sustrans nonsense (yes route 74, I'm looking at you.)

Was stung by a bee.  Shouted "shut up arm" and carried on.

There was a Guinness Book of Records attempt to get one million karate kid look-a-likes onto the Humber Bridge which slowed the transit down a bit.

Easy to keep the pace up on the flatlands towards Goole and then, after refreshments in Goole had the pleasure of the quiet back lanes near York all the way to Stamford Bridge.  Although you had the route down as 225km, I managed to find some more and clocked 237km.

And you did sort the beautiful weather for us.

/s
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:34:55 pm »
Yes, a really great ride and well worth the long drive from the West Midlands, but why oh why were there only 8 entrants (for the longer ride?).

With heavy rain for much of the UK, it seemed that I was in the right part of the country for once and once over the Wolds, it was a pleasant ride out to Bridlington and the fiorst control.

I decided to take my own route from here to the Humber Bridge which went fine until a wrong turn near Wawne put me into the suberbs of Hull and some very busy roads with crazy motorists and wishing that I had stuck to the route sheet instead.

After the Humber Bridge I broke a spoke in the rear wheel (cassette side as usual) which put the wheel out quite badly and wondering if it would hold up for the remaining 60 miles or so. It slowed me down a bit, but the wind also appeared to drop in sympathy!  I arrived in Goole to catch the edge of a heavy shower, so used the opportunity to shelter at a bus stop and consume some much needed food and drink.  The rain stopped and I continued through Howden with very wet roads, but still dry myself! and the last leg on the B' road towards York finishing at 5.53 and having enjoyed the ride enormously.

I do hope that everyone reading this article will seriously consider riding this event next year (assuming it is on again) even if it is a little over distance.