Author Topic: le tour du mont blanc  (Read 4731 times)

le tour du mont blanc
« on: 15 April, 2010, 01:03:34 pm »
This is bonkers! (clicky)
Neil,

border-rider

Re: le tour du mont blanc
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »
8000 m of climbing in 330 k.

Yep: bonkers :)

...but tempting

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:02:59 pm »
In under 19 hours!  Probably too tough for me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:41:45 pm »
Probably too tough for me too....but I have entered as I just happen to be returning from a holiday in Italy around then...so, why not.  It's 330km/8000m over 7 cols and I have a nice light (ex) racing bike with triple, on which I have ridden several Alpine/Pyrenneen sportifs. Sportif is a different mind-set and set-up to Audax, so I am hoping my body will be up to the following wheels and pacing up the Cols.  I shall be doing the Marco Pantani Sportif 3 wks beforehand and then finding some Tuscany training routes, whilst on a walking holiday.

Strangely my AAA count for 2008/9 was a grand 0.  This year I am 5mths into an AAARRTY.  So I found the TMB an ultimate challenge

I will report back
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »
8000 m of climbing in 330 k.

Yep: bonkers :)

...but tempting

It's a shame we'll be tapering for the Welsh Ride, isn't it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »
Hummers was muttering about an attempt at the Crackpot as part of that taper though...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:53:17 pm »
!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »
They are trying to to the Marmotte, and top the Marmotte they have. Whereas the Marmotte is possible for most people, this is bordering on the impossible for a lot of people, even with training!

PS Sign me up ;)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2010, 06:09:01 pm »
Maybe next year!

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2010, 07:13:52 pm »
Interesting to note that the last feed station is >100kms from the finish, and with 2 of the big 5 climbs left to do.  That'll sort the men from the boys.

btw I might be tempted to do this next year, but deffo not this year.  What price a YACF TdMB team?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »
Interesting to note that the last feed station is >100kms from the finish, and with 2 of the big 5 climbs left to do.  That'll sort the men from the boys.

Perhaps they expect the Broom Wagon to have swept up 1/2 the field by then.  Otherwise, it is a matter of stuffing the pockets and filling 2 bottles with the 'Go-faster' juice.

Hope I can make the 'Stuffing' option.

SteveP
SteveP

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:36:04 am »
I can safely say that I will never do this ride.  Don't have the mentality for it.  Would make a nice tour though.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:51:55 am »
I might be tempted to do this next year, but deffo not this year.  What price a YACF TdMB team?
next year is a PBP year

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:59:09 am »
Also tri-bars allowed, lights a requirement along with reflective jacket, spare inner tube, 50 Euros, Passport.
"Drafting" not allowed...If youre out of time, last control to shut at 11.30pm, to surrender the number to the officals in the broom wagon or in the control..
Just a little more climbing than the first day of the "new" Mille Cyrmru ;D

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2010, 01:01:25 pm »
Did anyone do this ride?  If so I'd be interested to hear how you got in.  I'm tempted for next year but recognise it's right on the edge in terms of feasibility.
TransAfrika 2016

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »
GPM10 who actually came up with the original route as part of their itinerary may be running it as a 2 day event in 2011 but they aren't cheap. Well-supported tho' and you get looked after which may not be the ethos of everyone on here

GPM10 Cycle Training, tours and Étape du Tour preparation in the Alps

« Reply #16 on: 27 July, 2010, 03:53:18 pm »
Noticed this in the Le Cycle mag (some great cycling mags in France) .   Was also run on 18 July inscriptions 80euros , paid  before 11 July.   Makes a change from £170 for the Etape entry only and the hassle of car parking etc  .  Also you only get the teeshirt if you finish .  Looks like you don't need a tour company to enter.

bazdunk

• Making a comeback soon.....
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2010, 08:14:10 pm »
This looks like the event for me next year as I was thinking about Marmont as a warm-up for PBP but this would be better!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »
The results for this year show that about 100 people managed to finish within the cut off time.  Does anyone know how many starters there were? 

I'm trying to gauge how feasible this is for me to complete.  I managed the Marmotte OK this year but think this one is very much harder.
TransAfrika 2016

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:27:10 am »
The results for this year show that about 100 people managed to finish within the cut off time.  Does anyone know how many starters there were? 

I'm trying to gauge how feasible this is for me to complete.  I managed the Marmotte OK this year but think this one is very much harder.

I packed the Tour de Mt Blanc at 280k/6000m in 15½hrs (of 330k/8000+m 18½hrs limit); I was at time limit and with 2 big climbs to go would have been a descent in the dark off Cormet De Roseland; that is about 5hrs for me in a fit state.  Also the Broom Wagon would probably have picked me off the hill.  So, recognising limit and approaching darkness and 2 hills, I opted to use a support vehicle home.  I was also feeling queasy and could not eat! Then on the journey, I fainted twice, was sick and generally in a state of heavy fatigue, probably severely dehydrated to boot (had been riding in mid-30s in the valleys).  They took me to a Dr who did a heart check (38!) and promptly injected a blood thinner and called the blue lamps for a Hospital dash to Grenoble.  A check-up and 24hr saline drip later found no residual problems and put it down to severe exhaustion.  If that is the case, then I am happy, as I find new levels.
My training had been several AAA rides (AAA-SR and maintaining AAARRTY actually) and the Marco Pantani Sportif 3wks before; for the TdMB you treat it like a Sportif.  A light bike, youth and strength on hills help.  A good check on suitability to do the ride might be a m/hr climbing test; At age 63, I was doing 640m/hr on the Gavia and 680m/hr on the Mortirolo.  I climbed Champax Lac at 690m/hr, Gd St Bernard at 590m/hr and Pt St Bernard at 535m/hr.  Returning home and on the same bike I climbed the shorter Gospel Pass 2 wks later at 730m/hr.  From this, I could deduce that to succeed at TdMB you need to climb at 750-800m/hr in UK and have a strong endurance capability. To relate to m/hr, you need to find something 10%+ that has no descents.
Whilst on the bike I felt fine and was fully conscious of the beauty and magnitude of the ride.  I just was not fast enough on the climbs to have time to spare.  The climbs were in heat, with no respite on the Cols; the descents were magic.  I plan to return in a couple of years to complete the Bourg St Maurice to Les Saisies route.
This was the 1st running with only 140 entries and there will be changes for next year.  I have half written an Article titled ‘Blue Lamps off Mt Blanc’.

SteveP
SteveP

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2010, 08:17:09 am »

Whilst on the bike I felt fine and was fully conscious of the beauty and magnitude of the ride.  I just was not fast enough on the climbs to have time to spare.  The climbs were in heat, with no respite on the Cols; the descents were magic. 

SteveP

3Peaker,

Interesting write up and congrats for achieving what you did.  Impressive by any measure.    Like you, I find the heat on the climbs to be the major challenge. Having done Etape and Marmotte in last two years, its the heat in the bottom of half of the climbs that does me in - at the top its all so much easier (apart from the fact that by then I'm knackered!). No amount of UK climbing can prepare you for this, tho' I take note of your m/hr guidance as a sensible benchmark.  Just by way of interest what is your height and weight?

For those who may be tempted to have a pop at this for 2011, what are the cardinal and differential (i.e. different from doing Marmotte) aspects of training for this ?  And did you have any of your own support on route - or is that not allowed?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #21 on: 14 August, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »
Quote from: ParrettPedaller
 Just by way of interest what is your height and weight?

For those who may be tempted to have a pop at this for 2011, what are the cardinal and differential (i.e. different from doing Marmotte) aspects of training for this ?  And did you have any of your own support on route - or is that not allowed?

I left UK at 73kg and 176cm.  I returned at 69kg which has levelled to 70kg.  My sportif bike is a Look with cf diamond and alloy stays and fork. Gears triple 30/40/50 + 13-26 rear.

The event is run as a sportif but in this case start and finish were in the dark, so lights f&r obligatory (extra weight!).  No need for your own support crew as event is followed by Broom Wagon and food tables strategically placed.

By the way, I have done several continental Sportifs: Marmotte x2, Etape (Ventoux 2000), Ariegeoise, Hubert Arbes, Fausto Coppi, Maraton dles Dolomites, Ventoux, also 3x Ventoux (Cingles); these all give the experience of 2hrs climbs of big cols.  In previous years my Audax was always enough but those other events were completed within 12hrs, mainly in heat and all daylight, so no lights.

While in Les Saisies, I heard a rumour that, next year, to develop the event, they might run a parallel event from Aosta to climb Pt St Bernard, Cormet de Roseland and Les Saisies; that's about 140km and 3800m, still a fine challenge for the 'normal' sportif rider.  I might need to resign myself to slower Audax. My own intention is to return to climb the Cormet and Les Saisies; then, I can wear my TdMB Jersey with justifiable pride!!

SteveP

SteveP

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #22 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:08:49 am »
I left UK at 73kg and 176cm.  I returned at 69kg which has levelled to 70kg.  

Presumably the same height  :P

PS: good going giving this a crack.  A noble failure.  Having recently done the Raid Alpine, I have a sense of how challenging the route you rode might be.

« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:28:40 am »
I managed to complete this ride a couple of weekends ago,  8000m of climbing certainly makes for a tough day out but I made it in about 18.5 hours, half an hour ahead of the midnight cut-off.  In comparison to previous editions we were very fortunate with the weather; no rain, little wind and moderate temps in the valley.  Consequently the completion rate was higher this year and I think about 2/3rds managed to get round in time.

I think there were just under 300 starters with a fair proportion of Brits / English speakers, with some from as far afield as Australia.

Unfortunately I picked up a virus a couple of weeks beforehand which put paid to my objective of getting round in 16 hours and turned the whole thing into even more of a sufferfest.  Very relieved to finally cross the finish line.  Would definitely recommend to those with strong masochistic tendencies  :'(

TransAfrika 2016