Author Topic: Birmingham New Street question  (Read 1782 times)

Birmingham New Street question
« on: 14 June, 2012, 10:40:40 pm »
We've got not-yet-collected advance tickets to Porthmadog from Euston, changing from a Virgin train at BNS to an Arriva train.

I've just been reading a blog that suggests when you change at BNS they don't let you out of the station even if there is a wait between trains. The blogger was particularly put out because he had a dog that he'd have liked to take for a little walk in the interim and he wasn't allowed.

Is this really the case? It seems odd. We'll have the mutt with us too and I was hoping to use the half an hour between trains to expend some of her energy before subjecting her to a longer journey.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
Re: Birmingham New Street question
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:56:29 pm »
I've changed trains 100s of times there, been in/out loads of times, with/without a bike, long/short journeys, and never been stopped. Most of the time they don't even look too closely unless you look like a troublemaker. If for some reason you do get stopped you could always try the back entrance (at the B end of the platforms, but not on platforms 1 or 12). In fact if you're taking a dog for a walk that might be a better option as it dumps you straight outside and you can head up to Victoria Square/ Chamberlain Square/ St Pauls Cathedral. The main entrance is surrounded by a car park, taxi ranks, shopping centres, confused people, etc (the usual).
I am nothing and should be everything

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »
If in doubt, use the lifts (extreme 'A' end of the platforms).  They bypass the ticket barrier.

I don't normally use the back entrance, as it's steps only (I usually have a bike, and often have a knee), but I think they have electronic ticket barriers there.  The normal exit to the concourse has humans checking tickets.

There are a handful of shops and a pub inside the ticket barriers, but nowhere to walk a dog, and little in the way of seating.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:20:26 pm »
The humans don't check tickets all that carefully so it would be easy to use barriers.  Otherwise everything that Kim says, there isn't anywhere not-grim to go and probably no where dog-friendly :(

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »
I don't normally use the back entrance, as it's steps only (I usually have a bike, and often have a knee), but I think they have electronic ticket barriers there.  The normal exit to the concourse has humans checking tickets.
There's no barriers at the back entrance. Half the time there's no humans either.
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:25:32 pm »
Most of the time they don't even look too closely unless you look like a troublemaker.

Unfortunately the combo of large backpacks and mutt can sometimes make you look a bit like a hobo, which probably equals troublemaker in some people's minds (the blogger in question also had this combo).

If in doubt, use the lifts (extreme 'A' end of the platforms).  They bypass the ticket barrier.

There are a handful of shops and a pub inside the ticket barriers, but nowhere to walk a dog, and little in the way of seating.

This is very useful to know, and we'll have backpacks with camping gear so lifts will be most welcome anyway. Ta.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »
The lifts are mildly confusing, if you don't read the relevant signs: Only the lifts serving platforms 6/7 and 8/9 go up to ground level, where they emerge gracelessly by the bins.  The others just take you down into the bowels of Mt Doom, where a subway allows you to access the other lifts.  There's also a departures screen down there, which is handy.

More New Street access type things discussed here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58472.0

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2012, 09:39:05 am »
The lifts are mildly confusing, if you don't read the relevant signs: Only the lifts serving platforms 6/7 and 8/9 go up to ground level, where they emerge gracelessly by the bins.  The others just take you down into the bowels of Mt Doom, where a subway allows you to access the other lifts.  There's also a departures screen down there, which is handy.

More New Street access type things discussed here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58472.0

Which are usually obscured by a terminally confused family with 97 suitcases, who will fail to decide which way to go and then mill around blocking the entire corridor and the entrance to the lift you need, whilst shreiking at each other. ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2012, 09:45:16 am »
I think they aren't really passengers, but a street theatre troupe employed by Network Rail in conjunction with the Arts Council.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:05:29 am »
 ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
I've walked through the barriers at New Street with invalid tickets (with valid ones in my pocket) just to see how diligent they are at checking them. I have never been stopped, nor even had a ticket closely scrutinised...

As for dog walking, there is a lovely green field right at the back of New Street perfectly suited for such things. Now the reality! It's slap bang in the middle of Brum centre, so not much scope for dog walking and sightseeing combined. If you're feeling adventurous, you could exit at the back of the main concourse, then find and walk up New Street and find the entrance at the other end. You'll go past a Tesco Express half way up New Street where you can stock up on snacks and stuff much cheaper than the train too. The walk itself would take 10-15 mins at a stroll. It's signposted most of the way, but it might be a bit too adventurous if you only have half an hour between trains.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2012, 11:59:59 am »
;D

I wasn’t expecting anywhere particularly pleasant to walk the dog; it’s just that this is the longest train journey she’s been on (and I insist on her keeping quiet and fairly still on the train so she doesn't annoy anyone) so the opportunity to take her out for a sniff and pee before the longest leg will be welcome. The bins sound like they’ll be particularly interesting sniffing material! There will be plenty of beautiful walking at our end destination. We may not risk the Tesco Express as I have cheap advance tickets which are not flexible but it’s good to know about for longer stops.

Re families milling around, working in one of the most touristy areas of London ever means I am fairly adept at getting around them with varying degrees of politeness.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »
I really don't believe you'll have a problem.  But as Kim says, use the lift.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »
I cannot think of many places better for a sniff and a pee than Birmingham New Street.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »
And you're not the only one.   :sick:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2012, 11:32:51 pm »
Akcherly, the rear exit from the very end of the B end of the platform (signed Victoria Square) has no barriers and only seems to have a ticket check during the morning rush hour.  Go that way. [1]
But I still don't believe that they wouldn't let you out and in again on the main concourse.

[1] There's also a very good noodle bar opposite, if you've got the time. (If it is between 1 & 2, you won't have time.)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.