Author Topic: Tendonitis-Recovery time?  (Read 1162 times)

jimbhoy

Tendonitis-Recovery time?
« on: 08 October, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »
After a recent 400k i had severe pain at the back of the ankle, visit to the docs the next day and Tendonitis of the Achillies Tendon was diagnosed. A rest period of roughly 2 weeks was suggested and Diclofenac was given for the pain. A week later and the ankle feels ok, so should i go back to commuting by bike or take the full 2 weeks rest as suggested?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Tendonitis-Recovery time?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:19:49 pm »
2 weeks is not very long. Mine took nearer 4 months to settle but I didn't rest much and did my first 400 within a week of onset...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:30:24 pm »
Mine comes and goes.  It's an age thing.  Stretching sorts it out, if you can be bothered.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:32:37 pm »
Wot hellymedic says ^^^. You've done a LOT of miles recently, give yourself a break and take another week off. You've nothing to lose at this time of year, and you'll come back stronger and sooner than if you plough on regardless with a not-quite-healed injury. 
That's what I think anyway...

ETA: You're too young for it to be "an age thing".  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jimbhoy

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
4 Months ! crikey don't think i could face that long commuting by bus. Aye i should have rested after the 600K when it did feel quite bad but went on to do a 200k then a 400k. How about running, would that affect it, or is it complete rest? and does it completly heal with rest?

jimbhoy

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:37:53 pm »
Wot hellymedic says ^^^. You've done a LOT of miles recently, give yourself a break and take another week off. You've nothing to lose at this time of year, and you'll come back stronger and sooner than if you plough on regardless with a not-quite-healed injury. 
That's what I think anyway...

ETA: You're too young for it to be "an age thing".  ;)

Wise words Mr Org, but i'm a grumpy B...... when not cycling, but i suppose it's coming in to deepsest darkest winter and as you quite rightly point out i've nothing to lose.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »
IMO running's a no-no.
You can cycle with your ankle held rigid. (That's how I did my 400 & 600 3 weeks later..)

Running puts all your weight through the ankle and holding the ankle rigid is almost impossible.

Keep your ankle cool and raise it above the hip overnight.

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:30:19 am »
I had tendonitis in my left lower arm for well over 6 months.

Doc said rest (but keep mobilising gently) and take ibuprofen maximum strength every day.  I did this for a couple of weeks before getting bored the first couple of times, but eventually stuck with it and after about a month, it did seem to help.  Eventually fell out of the habit of the pain killers when it didn't hurt so much and it's continued to improve, but it took a Very Long Time.

Gentle stretching did seem to help, as did icing regularly.

I certainly wouldn't run on an achilles with tendonitis, that seems a really good way of upsetting it to me, but IAMNAD (though I was a nurse for a while). 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2012, 08:00:17 am »
My very first Audax (300km) gave me tendonitis behind a knee, due to a fractionally too high saddle. I'd rest for a week or more, get back on the bike before it was perfect and it would flare up again. It took perhaps 6 months before I let it finally heal completely. Stretching helps prevent it coming back.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
A basic trick for any overuse type injury is

<a href="http://[size=14pt]AVOID PROVOCATION![/size]" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://[size=14pt]AVOID PROVOCATION![/size]</a>

Simples and very effective.