Author Topic: That BT Infinity Hallowe'en advert  (Read 2439 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
That BT Infinity Hallowe'en advert
« on: 09 December, 2012, 07:59:30 am »
1. That was six weeks ago, numpties.

2. Do the kids really have a house party and assume they can stream all the music from the Internet?  Isn't that a bit of a single point of failure?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: That BT Infinity Hallowe'en advert
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »
In answer to 2.

Well, er, yes!

What this shows me is that BT's market dept. is comprised almost exclusively of 45+ year old men.

Broadband: Students cut out food (as if they'd cut beer!!!) to pay for the fastest broadband they can lay their hands on. I don't know anyone from my class (2000-2004) who didn't have around 20Mb broadband in their student houses.

Also, FFS, has nobody looked at the message 'if you buy really fast broadband, tons of outrageously hot women will flock to your house.' >:( :sick:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
Also, FFS, has nobody looked at the message 'if you buy really fast broadband, tons of outrageously hot women will flock to your house.' >:( :sick:
An old friend of mine reckoned that was the message behind all advertising. "Buy this--get layed"

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »
Well yes. (although they also sneak in the more modern 'feckless male' stereotype so prevalent in advertising). Very stupid adverts, but no worse than most.

I still laugh at the last line in the spanish girls episode. I'm easily pleased :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

Re: Re: That BT Infinity Hallowe'en advert
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
In answer to 2.

Well, er, yes!

What this shows me is that BT's market dept. is comprised almost exclusively of 45+ year old men.

Broadband: Students cut out food (as if they'd cut beer!!!) to pay for the fastest broadband they can lay their hands on. I don't know anyone from my class (2000-2004) who didn't have around 20Mb broadband in their student houses.

As we didn't even have the WWW, I wonder what we did with our time.

Pub and many hours of pool or football, probably.  Not much studying, anyway.

John Henry

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »

:sick: and also hilariously over-optimistic.

There was no Broadband when I was a student. Back in the 90s we had other ways of not getting laid.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2012, 06:17:27 pm »
I'm just confused at why you need fast broadband for music? Youtube videos on low-rez, bish bosh done.  Amateurs.

Now get back to those zombie cheerleaders...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2012, 06:27:20 pm »
YouTube is mono.  I would walk out of such a party  :smug:

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
Er wouldnt they be using spotify or some such? For which they would need to be logged in?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »
See the musicing over the internet I thought a bit weird but my biggest bugbear with that ad is how rude the two girls are to each other. Just no need for such meaness.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2012, 09:05:03 am »
BT adverts have been shite for years. Think of Maureen Lipman, that Kris bloke and you get the picture.
The broadband ads just follow the usual crappy theme.
Any decent female  would have run a mile to get away from the broadband geek, never mind share a flat with him.
If BT saved the money and brought  their prices nearer the competition,  they wouldn't have to keep trying to win back customers that they have lost to Virgin, Talk talk etc.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2012, 10:15:34 am »
Think of Maureen Lipman,

You got an ology?  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
Who on earth creates a playlist and not transfer it to their portable players/phone?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2012, 02:25:10 pm »
Who on earth creates a playlist and not transfer it to their portable players/phone?

People who don't understand the technology.

Which, to be fair, does seem to be the main BT broadband customer demographic.

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »
3. Why are all the "students" 25 to 30 yrs old?  It's even worse than Fresh Meat, for that.

« Reply #15 on: 10 December, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »
Yeah, why aren't there any older guys and gals?   

I went to plenty of parties invited, and sometimes even dragged along by the young laydeez whilst studying for my LLB and my LPC, whilst in my mid-forties!   I had a fabulous time and it was totally awesome ...   8)  :P   

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 10 December, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »

I went to plenty of parties invited, and sometimes even dragged along by the young laydeez whilst studying for my LLB and my LPC, whilst in my mid-forties!   I had a fabulous time and was totally awesome ...   8)  :P

.... is how I first read your post PB. I thought you were being a bit smug bigging yourself up like that ;D

John Henry

« Reply #17 on: 10 December, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

I went to plenty of parties invited, and sometimes even dragged along by the young laydeez whilst studying for my LLB and my LPC, whilst in my mid-forties!   I had a fabulous time and it was totally awesome ...   8)  :P

You do realise that's now appearing on their CVs as 'while at university, undertook regular voluntary work entertaining the elderly'?  ;)

« Reply #18 on: 10 December, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »
I'm just confused at why you need fast broadband for music? Youtube videos on low-rez, bish bosh done.

That's what MFWHTBAB does for my annual Hootenanny over on Cyclechat. I post inanities about booze and cheesy pineapple on sticks, and he chooses the tunes on Youtube and posts links. Last year, he had two separate Youtube tabs open looking for the best vids, and the music was pretty much continuous...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: 11 December, 2012, 08:50:08 pm »

I went to plenty of parties invited, and sometimes even dragged along by the young laydeez whilst studying for my LLB and my LPC, whilst in my mid-forties!   I had a fabulous time and was totally awesome ...   8)  :P

.... is how I first read your post PB. I thought you were being a bit smug bigging yourself up like that ;D

One keyboard please my friend  :D   O:-)

You do realise that's now appearing on their CVs as 'while at university, undertook regular voluntary work entertaining the elderly'?  ;)

That's fine by me - jsut so long as they don't go into detail...