Author Topic: Garmin 705 additional mapas on sd disk  (Read 1986 times)

league

Garmin 705 additional mapas on sd disk
« on: 07 November, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

Help appreciated with Garmin 705 how many maps can you put on a sd card as I have tried copying another map from OSM to the card but unable to see the image file on the garmin.

I  read a post on this forum that additional maps have to be renamed to $NAME.img, 1st file being named gmapsupp.img although that did'nt work either.
The files were copied to the sd card directly no software used in case you have use software let me know which one.

I am using basecamp sometimes you can see it in basecamp but not on the garmin any help would be greatly appreciated

regards league

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Garmin 705 additional mapas on sd disk
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:39:23 pm »
Not a 705 user but I think you can name the maps anything - that is, anything.img - and load as many as you like.

To be sure I use names that are always 8.3 - eg gmapmaps.img, gmap_osm.img, gmapcont.img etc etc but this is probably overkill, but I have met other mapping apps where anything other than 8.3 is rejected.

All maps files MUST be inside a Garmin subdirectory - ie, in the GPS, or on the SD card, have a directory /Garmin/ and put your map files in there.  Nothing else will work.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2011, 12:01:49 am »
The 705 will only read maps contained in a file called gmapsupp.img (+ gmapbmap.img for the base map). You can have one gmapsupp.img on the SD card in a directory called /Garmin and one in the 705's internal memory also in a directory called /Garmin.

You can wrap up individual .img files into a single gmapsupp.img file using software such as GMapTool. Using this method you should be able to access any number of maps on the 705, space permitting.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »
The 705 will only read maps contained in a file called gmapsupp.img (+ gmapbmap.img for the base map). You can have one gmapsupp.img on the SD card in a directory called /Garmin and one in the 705's internal memory also in a directory called /Garmin.

You can wrap up individual .img files into a single gmapsupp.img file using software such as GMapTool. Using this method you should be able to access any number of maps on the 705, space permitting.

Correct. One interesting thing you can do is to have one main map (eg CityNavigator or a OSM routeable) on the SD card and a map only with eg elevation lines on the device itself. The main map then can easily be updated while the elevation line map stays 'forever'. The705 will show both maps at the same time.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
Resurrecting this thread somewhat after searching - am I right in thinking I can swap between maps with a second one installed on the SD card?  I'm doing a bit of riding abroad this year and was hoping I could leave the UK OSM map on the garmin and just chuck France or Spain onto the SD card to load up when there. I'm really cautious about this as when I tried to do this before by just replacing the unit base map (no SD card), the unit froze and had to be exchanged on warranty from Garmin when I tried to delete northern france and go back to the UK I had been using.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
Apparently
You can have one gmapsupp.img on the SD card in a directory called /Garmin and one in the 705's internal memory also in a directory called /Garmin.

Sounds from your experience that it would be a mistake to mess with the existing base map gmapbmap.img !!
There'll be a menu option somewhere (in Map Setup) to turn each map on and off.

Another thing you can do is simply have multiple mSD cards with the different maps you want on each, each stored as
[card]\Garmin\gmapsupp.img
good luck with keeping track of multiple mSD cards though! - maybe colour-code them.

Boot-up is a bit slow 1st time after you swap a card - that's all.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2013, 07:35:54 pm »
Well, all done, after replacing the battery I updated the existing UK&NI basemap and added the whole of France to the SD card. Fired up the unit and was only 1 map option on the menu - then checked the map and both UK and French maps are on there together, so that makes it a bit simpler!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)