Author Topic: South Lakeland holiday (warning, lots of pics)  (Read 4021 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
South Lakeland holiday (warning, lots of pics)
« on: 29 September, 2008, 02:38:09 pm »
Tuesday, Freckleton to Arnside. (48 miles)

I like it when a plan falls into place. We had a week’s holiday and the first few days were already allocated to a trip to London and the Freewheel event. We both wanted to be back home for the weekend at the back end of the holiday so that left us with four days to fill in the middle. I had my eye on the Silverdale area of North Lancashire/South Cumbria as we could ride there and back rather than take the car. Whilst considering options of campsites and B&Bs on the net I stumbled on a great offer, three nights B&B with a double room for £100 at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks in Arnside. No contest there then, the camping gear would be staying at home.

We had just had three lovely sunny days in London but on the way home on the Monday the weather broke and rain came down, not a good omen for the rest of the week. However we woke on Tuesday to blue skies, light winds and a forecast of good weather at least until Friday, bingo. We were on the road by nine, cruising along with that lovely anticipation of a new adventure about to unfold.

There was a definite feel of Autumn in the air, Tracksters over shorts, arm warmers and windproof jackets being called for to keep the chill at bay. As we left Kirkham behind Robins were calling from the hedgerows with their distinctive herald of the end of summer but the cloudless sky suggested otherwise.

First breather of the day.

Passing through the pretty village of Roseacre we were greeted by the sickening smell of shit natural fertilizer, the worst I have ever experienced. I suppose the tractor driver spreading it must become immune to it but I didn’t envy him. A quick stop at Elswick to remove the first layers and a moments lack of concentration and we were on the wrong road already. (Mrs. TKP tried to suggest we were going the wrong way but I took no notice, I’m a man.)

Time to take they first layers off.

Instead of the quiet lanes to Great Eccleston we found ourselves sharing the A586 with rushing cars and lorries and the first gentle hills of the day. Sometimes however, the wrong road is the road to serendipity and we stumbled on the home of glass sculptor John Ditchfield and some magnificent pieces of his work in the fields around the studio.

Not what you expect to find by the roadside.

We left the busy road at Little Eccleston and dropped down to the lovely toll bridge at Catford, one of my favourite places on our local rides.

Parting with ten pence each to get us across, it was a lovely spot for a breather and the opportunity to get the legs out as the day was warming up nicely.

The traffic across the bridge kept the toll lady busy taking money, handing out tickets and giving directions to delivery drivers lost amongst the network of minor roads around this part of the Fylde. I complimented her on the wonderful flower display opposite the toll house but she replied rather grumpily, “They aren’t mine, they’re my daughters. Make the most of them because they’ll be gone next week.”

There were plenty of cyclists about too, from pootling retired couples to serious looking roadies, including one decked out in a splendid Lancashire Road Club two piece outfit. Fortunately he wasn’t going our way so there was no danger of us embarrassing him.  ;)

North of the River Wyre the landscape is pan flat and some of the roads, including the one we were now on, would do credit to any Roman route planner. Flat straight roads can get tedious, so it was particularly nice to stumble on this tea van parked amongst a gaggle of classic minis.

We couldn’t pass up the opportunity for a bacon barm and a cup of tea, and the opportunity to meet the beautiful Sasha and her owner.

(That’s Sasha by the way, not the owner)

We were allowed to use the toilets belonging to a small adjacent caravan site and despite the outside appearance of the portacabin I was very impressed by the facilities inside, especially the thoughtful inclusion of a print of Salvador Dali’s Metamorphosis of Narcissus. Very surreal.

Fortified and rested we headed north east into a moderate head wind, five miles seemed like ten but at least once we reached Cockerham there would be undulations to add variety.

Taking a rest in the sun after five flat miles into the wind.

At least that is what we thought. We planned to use the A588 all the way to Lancaster, unaware that there was a much nicer alternative. The A588 is a busy road with some narrow and nasty bends so we were very relieved when after only a couple of miles we spotted national cycle route 6 off to the left. In fact, so excited was Mrs. TKP that she promptly turned into the car park of the Stork Inn by mistake. (Well that was what she said). It was much too early for beer so we passed the inn by and joined what proved to be an excellent cycle path. Wide, flat and a good surface, not to mention stunning views across the Lune estuary.

Looking back to Glasson Dock across the Lune.

In October 2005 Lancaster and Morecambe were awarded Cycling Demonstration Town status and 1.5 million quid has been spent on routes, and jolly good they are too, mostly. Our route took us ten miles from Conder Green via the centre of Lancaster

The Millenium Bridge (yes another one)  providing pedestrian and cycle access over the River Lune in the centre of Lancaster.

Old and new lifting technology from the cycle path on the banks of the Lune.

to the village of Halton in the north and by and large the paths were as good as they get. If only they could all be like this.

The River Lune from the cycle path at Halton.

Using a map without contours can lead to very bad route choices and that is exactly what happened next.  I knew we wanted to go to Nether Kellet, how could you not want to go to a village with a name like that. What I didn’t realise is that of the two likely routes, one is over gently undulating terrain, and the other, the one we took, is along the country lane equivalent of the big dipper at Blackpool. Still, we needed the practice on the hills in preparation for the Pendle Witches ride, or that’s what I kept telling Mrs. TKP. It was one of those routes that enables you to check out your full range of gears, over and over again. They were all working, especially the granny rings.  ;D

Nether Kellet was supposed to be our beer and sandwich stop for the day but the pub didn’t look all that inviting so we pressed on to Carnforth. We were back on the Lancashire Cycle Way, that of our previous year’s holiday and it was nice to enjoy the memories, all be it in reverse order this time. A small herd of young cows gave us the evil eye as we invaded their territory but they lost their bottle and bolted as soon as we got too close.

The pubs in Carnforth were either spit and sawdust types, closed, or posh hotel types. Reluctantly we chose the posh hotel type and regretted it. The beer was at best, mediocre, the bar maid was rather dour and we couldn’t have a sandwich because there was no chef! I kid you not, it now apparently takes a chef to put a piece of ham between two slices of bread. If we had braved the rough looking pub across the road we could have had dinner for less than what we paid for two drinks and a packet of crisps but the nice chap in the local bike shop advised us strongly not to go there.

Never mind, the sun was still shining and it wasn’t far from here to our accommodation in Arnside.

Leaving Carnforth by a poor, glass strewn cycle path, we joined the minor coast road into Silverdale. This area is an absolute delight, if you have never been there, add it to your ‘do before you die’ list, you won’t regret it. The mixture of broad leaf woodland, marsh and coastal scenery is just so pretty and changes with every bend you go around. The hills are short and sharp but there is bird life aplenty to keep you company and the villages are of the chocolate box variety. We were so preoccupied with trying to capture some of the views on camera that we failed to notice that we had ascended the last chevron of the day and one more steady pull took us to the final descent into Arnside.

Morecambe Bay

It was at this point that I had to confess to Mrs. TKP that I had no details of the pub I had booked other than I thought it might be called The Three Cocks. No problem, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks was easy to find and they had a booking for us anyway, what a stroke of luck. While I did the administrative stuff inside the pub Mrs. TKP took the opportunity to take a couple of snaps of what would be our surroundings for the next three nights. Not bad eh?

The railway bridge over Milnthorpe Sands

Quite a tough day in the end, some of those little hills had certainly taken their toll so it was beer, bath, snooze, beer, dinner, wine zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

More to follow when I get some time.

Re: South Lakeland holiday (warning, lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:38:54 pm »
Where are the hills?!  :)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »
There are some good race circuits around Elswick and Roseacre - I have fond memories, brought back by some of these pictures.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2008, 06:04:46 pm »
Looks like a fine start.

I wasn't a cyclist when I was at college, so never explored the Fylde properly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2008, 07:02:46 pm »
I see that the DLWG was connected :)

GillP

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:18:58 pm »
I see that the DLWG was connected :)

It most certainly was, and Frenchie, the hills most definitely were there as my legs knew by the end of the day  :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »
Glad you enjoyed. Wierd seeing a photo of the "Lifting gear" in Lancaster as I live about 200 yards from it!
Might see you Saturday.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:56:52 pm »
Those rides north out of Lancaster & Morecambe are a delight when you get away from the cars.  The road to Nether Kellet is one of my favourite cycling roads ever, despite being the scene of my most embarrassing toeclip moments. :-[
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »
Day 2 Wednesday – Bike shops, lakes and stupidity.

The nearest we had to a plan today was to go to Wheelbase bike shop (warehouse more like) at Staveley as I wanted a handle bar mounted map holder and Mrs. TKP fancied a new pair of shorts. Looking at my 32 year old Ordnance Survey map (I decided a new one of these might be on the shopping list too) it seemed like Milnthorpe, Kendal, Staveley, Windermere would work and then a return via a slightly different route, about forty odd miles with a few small hills. (Remember this.)
After a fine example of the Full English Breakfast we got ourselves ready. I was determined to lighten my rack pack and so I emptied it out to find out why it was so heavy. I decided the front light, along with spare batteries for all four of our lights were the main culprits so they were discarded along with a few minor bits and pieces. After all, we were only planning to be out until mid or late afternoon. The day had dawned bright enough but there was a little more cloud about than before breakfast, and the same nip in the air as yesterday, called for another start in longs and arm warmers. It was ten o’clock by the time left but we had plenty of time and we were in no hurry.

What a delight the first few miles were along the estuary, with views across to the South Lakeland fells and easy cycling on almost flat and quiet roads.

Looking west

Looking north east

Sadly, at one point along this fabulous route the stunningly beautiful views to the north were contrasted by the most hideous developments on the south side of the road. It is hard to imagine how any architect working in such a location could dream up such ugly constructions. I couldn’t bring myself to photograph them so you will just have to take my word for it. Just think inner city low rise, concrete apartment blocks and you will get the right idea.

We were travelling inland in an easterly direction and I couldn’t help noticing that the lovely blue skies around the coast gave way to rather gloomy grey ones inland. The east breeze was stiffening slightly and we joked about the fact that neither of us had even considered packing a waterproof. Still, look on the bright side we thought, we will just have to take shelter in a friendly hostelry if the need arises. We stopped in Milnthorpe for the loos and to find a new map. I was lucky to spot an excellent OS touring map covering the whole of the lakes at 1:110,000 scale which is perfect for cycling and has all the national and local cycle routes identified. A chap in the town made my day by commenting, “nice machine” as I wheeled my pride and joy away from the newsagents. It is usually Mrs. TKP’s Longstaff that gets all the attention.
We picked up national route 6 from Milnthorpe which was a typical Sustrans route, a quiet narrow lane that took no prisoners when it came to contours and was evidently popular with the local dog walkers. We were lulled into a sense of complete relaxation by the part tarmac, part meadow like nature of the road when we came face to face with a very large lorry which was literally brushing the hedgerows either side of the track and heading very definitely in our direction.

We had little choice but to turn tail and make a humiliating retreat to the nearest farm gate and as the lorry passed the highly amusing passenger leaned from his window and shouted, “there you go, a bit more exercise for you”.  Well we fell about laughing as you can imagine – smug git.

The tiny but decidedly undulating lanes took us towards Kendal and through a lovely village called Natland, sporting the fine church of St. Marks.

There were rain clouds on the horizon and indeed rain itself in the distance but if we rode slowly enough we might never catch it up, well that was my theory. The Virgin Pendalino bound for Glasgow sped through the valley below us, contrasting markedly with our somewhat pedestrian progress but I knew where I would rather be. Route 6 takes a lovely wooded path into the centre of Kendal which only serves to emphasise how busy the town is as you emerge into its chaotic traffic congestion. We were in search of a café for tea but were distracted by Bruce’s bike shop. Bruce was very helpful but didn’t have map holders in stock. He did however have a very pretty, powder blue, Claude Butler, lady’s road bike which instantly seduced Mrs. TKP. I’m telling you we were lucky to get out of there with our plastic still in tact. I was very  impressed that Bruce had no hesitation in recommending Wheelbase as a possible source of what I wanted as well as pointing out that there is a great café right next door to the megastore. Nice chap, Bruce. So off to Staveley we went, but not without first negotiating traffic mayhem which rivalled some of our experiences in London the previous weekend.

Wilf’s café at Staveley was excellent, the cake was so good that it had been consumed before I could even think of taking a photograph, so the best I can offer is a post cake picture.

After tea and cake we were ready to face ‘the biggest bike shop in Britain’, strangely, and illogically, this would be the second one we have been in. It was indeed a very, very big bike shop with a huge range of products but sadly, as is so often the case Mrs. TKP found the selection of women’s clothing rather disappointing. I was happy though, I got my map holder and plenty of time to drool and wander round the shop imagining what I would buy if money were no object.

This retail development in the small village of Staveley is also home, rather incongruously, to the Hawkshead brewery. Sadly, they only do tours on Sundays and as their bottled beers were £2.50 each, we didn’t even enquire as to the price on the hand pumps. Besides, we really hadn’t earned a beer yet, the day was still young. We had stayed in Staveley much longer than intended but at least, as we left, the skies were clearing and the day was taking a very promising turn for the better.

I know the road to Windermere well as a motorist and I was therefore relieved to find that a good cycle path has been created alongside of it. It’s a very fast and meandering road so I had no desire to share it with the thundering trucks and speeding tourist buses. I had been wondering how a Sustran’s route, as marked on the map, could be shared with this main artery into the Lakes, the shared use path explained it. I have always loved The Lakes as a walker and occasional climber but this was my first time entering as a cyclist and it was a real buzz. To see the mountains creeping closer, and then to get the first view of Windermere, whilst travelling at a speed that enabled us to really take in the scene was thrilling.

Pausing to admire the stunning view we considered the rest of the day and the possibility of changing our plans. Maybe we were intoxicated by our surroundings but for some reason we both felt like extending the day. My new map suggested that Ambleside might be a good point at which to turn back south and we could then make our way down Coniston Water to return to Arnside by a rather more circuitous route than originally anticipated. We swooped down to Windermere and then were forced onto the main road for Ambleside. Fortunately the gradient for the first part of this road is such that we could easily keep up with the flow of traffic and as the road flattened the shared use path provided escape from the busy road. We glimpsed the rugged outline of the Langdales through the trees, a classic Lakeland view and one which has always given me a tingle of excitement on past climbing and walking trips in this area. Real mountains at last.

We were thinking in terms of a pub stop when I suddenly remembered a favourite old haunt, the Drunken Duck Inn at Outgate. Of course, what I had forgotten was the climb from Ambleside to get to it. It was worth every pounding heartbeat and gasping breath for the view alone, not to mention the beer.

The pub had changed beyond all recognition since I was last there, it is now a gastro pub, Cumbria restaurant of the year 2007/8 no less. There was a bewildering choice of beer but all from the same source. I didn’t recognise the brewery name; Barngates was new to me and I speculated as to which part of the country it might be in. It was only when I read some of the certificates on the walls of the pub, acknowledging the beers, that it became clear that the brewery was in fact very close indeed. That is, in the yard at the back of the inn! We took our drinks outside and sat looking at the stunning view of the Fairfield Horseshoe above Ambleside whilst the couple on the next table concentrated on their game of scrabble, apparently immune to the vista all around them.  ??? The RAF played tag in the valleys below us, only serving to put the grandeur of the mountains into even sharper perspective. The planes resembled tiny children’s toys as they were swallowed up by the scale of the peaks above them.

Well, what goes up must come down and down it was for us. After a few false starts we finally began the descent to Coniston Water, and what a descent it was. The thrill of the freewheeling drop was only rivalled by the panorama opening up before us as first the Old Man of Coniston and then the lake itself came into view.

As we pedalled along the minor road that skirts the edge of Coniston it was impossible not to think about Donald Campbell reaching 300mph on that stretch of water before Bluebird broke up as he radioed “she’s going, she’s going”. There was no danger of us breaking any records, we were obviously still recovering from the climb out of Ambleside and the small undulations were proving a challenge. It is a long way down this lake, it certainly looks impressive on the map but to actually cycle down the whole length really makes you aware of just how big it is.
We passed by Brantwood, the former home of John Ruskin and we revealed our ignorance as we debated whether he was a poet or an artist. Of course we were both correct and you can add writer and influential social critic to the list of his many talents and occupations. Looking back occasionally, the view of the mountains was constantly changing through perspective and the shifting afternoon light.

We finally reached the southern extent of Coniston and this was where I foolishly made the first misjudgement of the day. The relief shading on the OS map becomes very subtle at the 600ft mark and it was easy to get the impression at a glance that the end of Coniston marked the end of the hilly terrain. Wrong. Sea level to 600ft can hide some serious small hills and estimates of how long we had to go to get back would be seriously challenged because of my oversight.

We made our way down to the horribly fast and busy A590 and due to a slight navigational error (I’m not looking good here am I?), we had to negotiate a couple of miles of this instead of a few hundred metres. Escape came in the form of the B road at Haverthwaite and that is where the atmosphere of the day began to change. We should have joined cycle route 72 here but frankly we were fading and this time I looked more carefully at the terrain. It was hilly. We both agreed that the B road might be an easier if slightly longer option and off we went. Mrs. TKP was setting a good pace and the slight undulations were of the variety that don’t sap momentum completely before the next descent. In fact, she was going so well that when I had a sudden and disabling mechanical she simply disappeared before I could even catch her attention. I had inadvertently tried, and succeeded, to engage the large front ring and rear granny gear simultaneously and the derailleur simply couldn’t cope. This had happened before but it had been relatively easy to free it. Not this time. Having wheeled the bike some way to get off the road I’m embarrassed to say that I faffed around for far too long before my brain engaged and I released the rear wheel to take the tension out of the chain. I was just about to get back on the bike when a rather agitated and very out of breath Mrs. TKP arrived having added a couple of more miles to her day’s tally.

At Cark, we checked the time and began to take stock of our situation. This was when I had one of those flashbacks as I recalled discarding the front lights and batteries this morning. It was one of those situations when the combination of facts gradually come together to create a less than favourable outcome. But hey, the sun was shining, the sky was now cloudless and we both agreed that we could make it back in the light if we legged it. Wrong! The reason there are no more photos is because we rapidly began to realise that we really should have picked up the train at Grange Over Sands and taken the single stop across the causeway to Arnside. Several times I looked at the views in the evening sun but there was no time to stop and capture them. We pedalled like never before but it was a futile race against the sinking sun. In any other circumstances it might have been one of the prettiest rides ever but as we momentarily lost the route in Levens, the real urgency of our situation began to sink in. We were now on the A6 with only rear lights, not good, but it just got worse. We picked up the pace, urged on now by the added possibility of missing dinner at the pub, but we still ended up racing at full pace in almost total darkness for the last five miles. Not clever, I know, and many motorists made their feelings clear with flashing headlights. I am ashamed of getting into such a situation but I have to admit, it was really rather exciting and we arrived back buzzing with adrenalin, totally knackered and horses of the scabby variety were in extreme danger.  ;D

The landlady of the pub was brilliant, insisting that we took our time showering and changing and assuring us that dinner would be no problem at all. (Or was she just thinking of the delicacy of the other diners?)

We sat in the dining room enjoying dinner and a bottle of wine and had to admit, despite the stupidity, it really had been one of the best cycling days ever. Seventy miles (72 for Mrs. TKP) of glorious scenery, a real taste of being in the Lake District and definitely a personal best for that last fifteen miles!

We considered a slightly shorter the ride the next day.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2008, 01:46:21 pm »
You could have a nice few miles around Kirby and the Sedbergh area,head towards Old Town theres lots of nice litte back lanes and a couple of decent tea shops in Kirby itself.

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »
Nice ride report, If anyone looking cafe in Carnforth try the tearoom at the Railway Station this open all week during the summer months and closes on Mondays during the Winter months. For flat route out of Lancaster follow the cycle path along the Lancaster Canal, at Crag Bank cross over the A6, then follow national cycle route 6 into Carnforth and if you heading towards the Silverdale/ Arnside there cycle bridge over River Keer near Hagg Wood which is worth taking!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2008, 04:52:53 pm »
Beautiful.
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:03:27 pm »
That's an excellent piece of journalism TKP.I reckon you should arrange for it to grace the pages of Cycling World.It is exactly in synch .with their type of publication.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:08:19 pm »
Nice ride report, If anyone looking cafe in Carnforth try the tearoom at the Railway Station this open all week during the summer months and closes on Mondays during the Winter months. For flat route out of Lancaster follow the cycle path along the Lancaster Canal, at Crag Bank cross over the A6, then follow national cycle route 6 into Carnforth and if you heading towards the Silverdale/ Arnside there cycle bridge over River Keer near Hagg Wood which is worth taking!
I should have mentioned that Southlakes. We used it last year when on the Lancashire Cycle Way and it was excellent. The egg and bacon barms come highly recommended.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:19:22 pm »
Day 3 Kirby Lonsdale – anyone for tea?

It was probably just as well that we decided to take it easy today, we found ourselves propping up the bar with the locals after dinner last night so the combined effects of yesterday’s ride and one for the road before bed has resulted in a ‘quiet’ start to the day. We were still determined to get out for a stroll before breakfast, as is our habit when staying in B&Bs, there is nothing like a brisk turn along the promenade to put an edge on the appetite. We crept out of the back door of the pub and crossed the road to be greeted by this sight:

Not a bad way to start the day, you have to admit. After a little exploratory walk around the back lanes of Arnside we were ready to tackle ‘the works’ to set us up for the day, albeit a rather lazy day.

Kirby Lonsdale looked like a good destination, not too far away, large enough to hold a bit of interest and conveniently situated to be part of a circular route from and back to our accommodation. On the strong recommendation of a reliable friend we also had to fit in a visit to the New Inn at Yealand Conyers for lunch and that seemed feasible too. A quick bit of fettling to fit the new map holder and we were ready for off.

We left Arnside by quiet lanes which by chance formed part of the Cumbrian Cycle Way, I’m not sure how long it has been established but the signage varies from
excellent new blue signs to old brown and white ones that have faded completely to reveal no clue at all as to their meaning.

Choices, choices

We stopped for a drink and to peel off an outer layer and listened to a shouting match between a couple of rooks. Cawwww. Cawwww. Cawwww. Cawwww. We left before it got nasty.

The route as suggested by the map went one way but the ancient signs suggested the other. We foolishly followed the signs and ended up on the A6 (again) instead of crossing it. No big deal, it was fairly quiet but our efforts of the previous day had obviously taken their toll as we were embarrassingly overhauled by a cycle tourist laden down with enough panniers to open a shop. He did say hello though, as he whizzed by. Of course we would have chased him down but our route took us off to the right onto another fabulously narrow and quiet lane. This narrow corridor of the north west carries so many routes running north south it’s like picking your way across a giant multi lane highway. The A6, West coast railway line, M6, Lancaster canal and A6070 are all negotiated in the space of less than three miles, it felt like we were really going against the grain. As we passed over the canal I recalled walking along it from Preston to the Lakes some thirty five years previously. Laden with an enormous rucksack I passed the time of day with a fisherman just outside Preston. The conversation is clear in my mind after all these years:

Where are you off to then with all that lot on your back?
Lake District
What walking?
Yep.
How long will that take then?
About a week or so.
You must be mad, there’s a bus every half hour from Preston.

Well some people just don’t understand do they?

We passed through the village of Farleton and headed along a forgotten little road towards Hutton Roof.

The name said it all, but of course, as is so often the case, the amount of effort required is directly proportional to the level of satisfaction the resulting views provide. In this case we were rewarded with a splendid outlook across the Yorkshire Dales to Whernside.

From Hutton Roof we plummeted in a series of drops to Biggins and over the A65 into Kirby Lonsdale. It’s a classic small market town and we even managed to arrive on market day itself. Turner, Constable and Ruskin all rated this place for the views of the surrounding countryside but we only had eyes for tea shops and cake. If tea is your tipple you could do worse than visit Kirby Lonsdale, we counted five tea shops all within tea bag flinging distance of the market square. Talk about spoilt for choice. We’ll never know if we picked the best one but the Lemon Drizzle and Ginger Bread cakes were divine and special mention has to go to the loose leaf tea and the rather natty little strainer that came with it.

We had a wander around the market and I contemplated buying a buffalo hide western style hat but Mrs. TKP pointed out that I would not be allowed to wear it until after the divorce came through so I put it back – shame. The town was full of interesting little shops and cosy looking pubs but we had a date with another hostelry so we saddled up and rode out of town. (I knew I should have bought that hat.)

We headed west and paused for one last look back over the Lune valley and the Dales and we were soon rejoining the Lancashire Cycle Way.

Mrs. TKP decided this deserted crossroads would be a suitably secluded spot for a call of nature so while I manfully wrestled with the cycle way sign to point it back in the direction of the route, she squatted discreetly behind a hedge. The roadie on his bike, and the lady in the Ford Fiesta coming down the hill, were greeted to the sight of a madman fighting a road sign and a lady pretending to be invisible in the corner of a field. So much for image.

The next few miles were full of memories from last year's Lancashire Cycle Way tour. Coming to the end of a hard day and not being able to find a camp site, and then suddenly stumbling on a lovely old caravan site where the owners were happy to let us camp, sold us a pint of milk from their fridge and generally made us feel more than welcome. Such are the ups and downs of touring I guess.

There was a nice sense of symmetry as we crossed the main transport arteries in the reverse order of the outward leg, albeit a few miles south of this mornings route. Whilst we toiled up a small hill a jolly nice chap on a couple of hundred grams of carbon flew passed us in a blur but with a very cheery hello, why can’t they all be like that. If you are going to be made to feel completely inadequate, it might as well be with a friendly greeting.

And so to Yealand Conyers and the New Inn. There didn’t appear to be a rear entrance but looking for one we stumbled on this rather intriguing watering can water feature. We couldn’t quite work out how it worked but water butts and pumps were involved and I’m sure it looks lovely when it is working. Sadly it was not, so you will have to use your imagination.

The pub didn’t let us down, great beer in the form of Hartleys and home made lemonade no less for those of a more temperate persuasion. The instructions to the chef on how to make a ham sandwich must have read: “Slice loaf of bread in half and place roast pig in between two halves. Serve with salad with lots of fruit in it.” It was very nice but we were glad that we had opted to share a sandwich rather than have one each. If you find yourself in this neck of the woods, give the New Inn a try, you won’t be disappointed.

Our next stop was Leighton Moss bird reserve, in the stewardship of the RSPB. I wanted to know if the starlings still roosted in the reed beds and whether the spectacle of them wheeling overhead as they came in to settle could still be witnessed, as I had seen it many years ago. The man behind the counter was extremely helpful but alas the performance only occurs in late October and November so it would have to wait for another visit. We didn’t have binoculars with us so there was little point in going on to the reserve but it is worth noting that anybody arriving on foot, by bicycle or public transport can get free entry. Another time maybe.

It was late afternoon by now. We had managed to spin out our short thirty five mile day quite well and it only remained to repeat our route from two days ago to swoop into Arnside for a pint in the bar of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks. I wanted to know if the prominent peak visible across the estuary was The Old Man of Coniston but the barman hadn’t got a clue. He could remember climbing it as a youth and telling his mates that he had ‘been up the old man of Coniston’. Cue much schoolboy humour and red faced young hill walker. A local chap in the bar had overheard our conversation and was keen to confirm that it was indeed that peak. What is it about having to put names to things?

It was our last night before we cycled back home tomorrow. We were going to push the boat out in the ‘posh’ pub down the road and pray that our luck would hold and we could enjoy one more sunny day.

« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2008, 08:51:51 am »
I'll keep on reading tonight, but nice route and nice pictures.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #16 on: 04 October, 2008, 02:18:05 am »

Very nice report and pictures--I'm enjoying this.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:54:34 pm »
Day 4 – Getting home the happy way.

Going home on the last day of a holiday is often a miserable experience. Long delays at airports or sitting in traffic on motorways, whilst contemplating the return to work, does little for the spirit. Our journey home on the other hand is yet another great ride to look forward to. The scenery, the roads and tracks, the tea shops and pubs all hold the prospect of more fun and another memorable day on the bikes.

We woke to another glorious day and began the process of converting bedroom chaos into four neatly packed panniers and a couple of small bags. Over breakfast we both agreed that a fourth consecutive fry up might be one too many so it was just as well we were heading home today. Not that we didn’t clear our plates of course, fuel for the journey and all that.

When I plan a cycling route I’m generally looking for a circle to complete, if not, then something cigar shaped or a figure of eight. Our journey from home to Arnside and back fell into the latter category, albeit with a small amount of overlap south of Lancaster. It’s just more satisfying that way somehow.

We left on the same roads as the previous day and we were soon back in Yealand Conyers, passing the New Inn. It was far too early for beer or even the coffee and cake that the lovely lady by the side of the road implored us to stop for. It seems that they were part of a Macmillan fund raising event, trying to enter the Guinness Book of Records for the world’s largest coffee morning whilst raising funds. We exchanged a joke with her about how we hadn’t ridden far enough to earn a coffee but as we left her I felt bad about not offering a donation. Never mind, maybe next time.

Having climbed one 1:7 gradient I thought that was it for the day in terms of steep hills but leaving the village behind we puffed and grunted up an even longer one. Give me a long steady climb any day over these brutal short sharp inclines.

Struggling up the last few yards of the hill out of Yealand Conyers

Still, we were well and truly warmed up for the day now and the descent into Warton was fantastic. We would have flashed through the village like a break away in the Tour de France had it not been for the silly old codger in the Citroen Saxo who appeared to be window shopping by car. I nearly went into the back of him when something caught his eye and he slammed his brakes on for no obvious reason. Grrrr, it’s just as well that the weather was so nice, it was hard to get upset about anything really.

Everybody we met, dog walkers, cyclists and pedestrians seemed to have that glad to be alive feeling this morning and we exchanged pleasant greetings with all of them as we made our way into Carnforth and a comfort break at the station. There is an excellent café on the station and a museum which is worth a look if you like old railway memorabilia. The famous curved platform was also the setting for one of the most famous goodbye scenes in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8DAJlWxlaE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-8DAJlWxlaE&rel=1</a>

I left Mrs. TKP minding the bikes whilst I went in search of the toilets. I was only gone five minutes, including the time to take the photo, but when I got back I found her chatting to some young Adonis clad in lycra and sweating profusely (him, not her). Honestly, is there no shame to this woman? It turned out that he and his friend were doing LeJog for charity but had seriously misjudged what was involved. Having reached this point from Lands End in six days, riding full suspension mountain bikes and carrying all their camping kit, they realised they had no chance of reaching John O Groats in time to make it back for the start of University. Hence their business at the railway station, buying tickets to Fort William. Cheating? Well maybe, but full marks to them for having a go and not simply bottling out because they didn’t have time.

Fully refreshed and humbled we made for the other side of town to join the Lancaster Canal tow path. We had noticed on the way up as we came into Carnforth from the south side that the canal is indicated as a recognised cycle route between the town and Lancaster. I love canals. I love the peace and quiet and the lazy pace that they induce. There is always something interesting to see, from the beautifully decorated barges and waterside gardens to the constant spectacle of water birds and flora.

Just a few miles down the water we spotted this fine fellow for example. He seemed in no hurry to move on and I wished we’d had a better camera to capture him with.

The state of the path left a lot to be desired. Our wrists and backsides were suffering from the constant shaking and some wise fool had deemed it necessary to put speed bumps either side of every bridge. But nothing could dampen our spirits on a day like this, even the tell tale signs that we were entering Lancaster. There were car wheels in the canal, rubbish on the tow path and graffiti on the bridges. Particularly sad to see in such an otherwise idyllic setting.

The canal crosses the river Lune via a spectacular high aqueduct, unfortunately, although cyclists are encouraged to use the tow path, the only way off and down from the canal is via a long and steep flight of stairs. Bumpety, bumpety bump we went.

Retracing our route through the city we were soon heading for Glasson Dock via the cycle path and a well earned tea break at the lovely café there. Although it felt like we had left Lancaster behind us now, we were, in a way, still connected to it.

The dock at Glasson was commissioned because ships found it difficult to navigate the Lune as far as Lancaster and the ‘port’ was built in the late eighteenth century to resolve the problem. It is still a working port now and it’s nice to sit outside the café and watch the ships being unloaded rather than it being a museum piece. They also do a very mean Eccles cake there too. We exchanged pleasantries with a silver haired motor cyclist, more of a hells granddad than angel, sharing a common delight in this exceptional spell of weather after the summer we have had.

We were on home territory from here on, there are very few roads in this area we haven’t used on our day rides. Through Scorton, where there are always a few bikes parked up outside the Priory Tea Shop and up the last real hill of the day. These chaps by the side of the road provided all the excuse required for a closer look and a much needed breather.

Southbound traffic on the M6 made us realise that this really was the best way to
travel home from holiday, we would probably reach our destination long before many of these poor souls.

Maybe we were tired, maybe it was the light head wind, who knows, but progress now seemed tedious. Turning west out of the wind helped a little but we finally got the push we needed from a large juggernaut and a coach pursuing us along a narrow minor road. OK, they weren’t really chasing us of course but it felt that way. There was no chance of them passing and we just upped the pace for a mile or two. It got us to the Ship at Elswick a little bit quicker and more than ready for that last drink. We sat in the garden sipping our beers and marvelling at how lucky we had been, four glorious sunny days at the back end of one of the worst summers on record.

The familiar military communications centre with it’s multitude of masts and antennae was on the horizon now, indicating that we are now only a few miles from home.

The short sharp climb into Kirkham was tough on tired legs at the end of the day but then it was a pleasant enough flat ride to Freckleton to complete the figure of eight.

Glad to be alive? You bet. Just over two hundred glorious miles covered in four days, a bit more that our normal average but worth every turn of the pedals. Arnside is one place that we shall definitely be returning to.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:21:32 pm »
Well, that was a good read on a rotten wet day. Ye Olde Fighting Cocks looks like a place to be investigated.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:26:18 pm »
Well, that was a good read on a rotten wet day. Ye Olde Fighting Cocks looks like a place to be investigated.

What he said  :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 05 October, 2008, 09:18:48 pm »
Thanks - I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.  And what a great ride.

Arnside & Silverdale is one of those corners of the map I've always managed to miss, since I'm usually distracted by the grandeur of Lakeland.  I camped at Bolton on the Sands earlier this year, and cycled past it up the A6.  Another missed opportunity.

Oh, and I'm glad you mentioned Carnforth Station's claim to fame: it's my one piece of local knowledge.

Really Ancien

« Reply #21 on: 05 October, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »
Arnside Silverdale is an interesting place, it's one of the few places in England where you get limestone pavement at sea level, so it's very interesting botanically, especially at Gait Barrows, It's a fairly damp part of the world which makes the woods quite interesting. You would have passed this one opposite the convent on the road from Yealand Conyers to Warton.
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1022011&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1022011&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Damon.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: 07 October, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »
Nice video Damon. I love that type of woodland, it's just so lush and rich. Yet another reason to go back to that part of the world at different times of the year. We really must get back there for the starling roost in November.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 08 October, 2008, 11:03:01 am »
I used to have a partner who lived in Morecambe.  She wasn't much of a cyclist, but she was a walker and a very good climber.  One of her favourite places to walk was around Siverdale.  Lovely to explore - totally unexpected.
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 10 October, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
That's where I grew up. Is there a tear in the eye smilie?

If I'd known where you were going I would have told you to avoid the County*, but you did get to the New Inn and the Fighting Cocks  :thumbsup:.

* I might have told you to avoid the Star Wars bar across the road after dark as well.