Author Topic: Contact lenses  (Read 3249 times)

Re: Contact lenses
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:35:21 am »
I don't really see the point in contact lenses for cycling - I can't bear to ride at speed without a decent pair of specs to protect from wind and dust, so I'd just end up wearing clear goggles over contacts.

Yep, that's what I did/do (well not goggles exactly).  I always wear eye protection when cycling (even when not wearing contacts), keeps flies, grit, rain etc out of my eyes, and of course UV protection.  And I found standard spec tended to have swirling vortexes or wind at the edges that caused dry eyes, whereas the Oakleys I have (old Mumbos) with their swept lenses got around that.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:51:38 am »
I made the point up-thread that with contact lenses you can peep over the top of rain spattered glasses (used for eye protection) with no problems whatsoever and still be shielded from the wind; hence why some people prefer them over optically correct glasses, even when they are wrap/swept and photochromic glasses.  And you don't suffer from the steamed-up situation that arises when you venture from the cold to the warm cafĂ©.

There is no right or wrong answer for this one; horses for courses.  As long as people are happy with their choice then so be it.

« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:57:51 am »
Indeed, I've never had a problem with glasses on rainy Audaxes, even at night (and I tend to do more night riding than most others). I just pull my cycling cap down to keep the majority of the rain off the glasses.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:59:42 am »
Hmm, this thread has convinced me I should try dailies. Currently I use monthly disposables, which are a bit faffier as I have to wash them. There's also a noticeable difference in comfort towards the end of the month.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
Indeed, I've never had a problem with glasses on rainy Audaxes, even at night (and I tend to do more night riding than most others). I just pull my cycling cap down to keep the majority of the rain off the glasses.

Drizzle is worse than rain...