Author Topic: Cheapest Folding 700x23c Tyre ?  (Read 1893 times)

LEE

Cheapest Folding 700x23c Tyre ?
« on: 21 August, 2008, 11:05:05 am »
The recent aquisition of Rogerzilla's Orbit has opened up a new skinny-tyred world of questions.

I reckon it may be wise, looking at the size and pressures of 700x23c tyres to carry a folding spare tyre as well as a tube (I am used to 25x1.5" Schwalbe Marathons and even they can fail)

What is the cheapest folding 23c "get me home" tyre available ?  Nothing special, I wouldn't run it at max pressures, as long as it's quicker than walking.

Re: Cheapest Folding 700x23c Tyre ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:08:58 am »
I've never carried a spare tyre, there is no need for normal riding.
If your worried, have a look at this Evans Cycles | Park TB1C Emergency Tyre Boot | Online Bike Shop

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:20:31 am »
I agree with Turussa (although many Audaxers carry spares, and I seriously considered it).

For the extra weight of the spare, you could use sturdier tyres on the rims. And if you use a really cheap spare, you run the risk of ruining that one too!

So the tyre boot seems like the best all-round, statistically risk/hazard/probability assessed, strategy.

I think.

p.s. I think Mike Dyason does some stupidly cheap tyres, if you insist!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:23:45 am »
I've never carried a spare tyre, there is no need for normal riding.

I only carry a spare tyre on 400km+ Audaxes (or 300km rides that go through remote areas like the Elenith) where you could be some distance from a cycle shop or many hours from one that is open (not many open at 1am). A tyre boot may not last the 200km or 10 hours cycling until a replacement tyre can be found. That's my take on Audax "self-sufficiency" anyway. All of the tyres I use are folding, so next time I need to replace a tyre I use the one I've been carrying around for ages.

I do carry a Tyre-boot on all rides though (it weighs next to nothing).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:26:14 am »
The weight of a folder, carried, is pretty trivial on a long audax - the weight on the rim of a heftier tyre would be more significant.

But I agree that for day rides, and longer rides in habited country, a boot (or 2) is perfectly adequate if you use a standard tyre size.  If you have a fast bike with skinny tyres, lugging a spare around kind of goes against the ethos.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:37:13 am »
It's the space it takes up as well as the weight, and, by the way, cheaper tyres are bulkier and heavier than more expensive racing ones.

I agree with Turussa.  You need a special reason to carry a spare tyre, and the Park Tyre Boot (or booting with found materials) will fix 99% of problems with tyres for long enough to finish your ride.

If very concerned abut reliablity then you can use a tougher tyre.  For a compromise tyre I recommend Vittoria Rubino Pro.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:39:03 am »
It's the space it takes up as well as the weight

But this is a benefit as it's bulky but light! If I didn't carry it then I'd just fill up the space in the rack-bag/Carradice-Barley with something just as big, but heavier.

The tyre I'd recommend (GP 4 Season) is the tyre I use all over the fleet, but they aren't cheap at an RRP of ~£30.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:43:33 am »
During my 'travelling light' phase I completely trashed a tyre descending off Devils Staircase on the Elenith.  20 Park tyre boots wouldn't have even come close to fixing it.  So I was very grateful that the next rider down was carrying a spare folder and was willing to give it to me.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:46:25 am »
During my 'travelling light' phase I completely trashed a tyre descending off Devils Staircase on the Elenith.  20 Park tyre boots wouldn't have even come close to fixing it.  So I was very grateful that the next rider down was carrying a spare folder and was willing to give it to me.

Another reason I carry one is I'm often Lanterne Rouge on the longer rides (especially on hilly events). :)

I guess it comes down to this:

If the ride means something to me, in that I really do want to finish it, then I'll carry one. This also means a DIY 200 on the last day of the month to keep my RRTY going.

If it's just a 100km blat around the Surrey Hills, or 30km round Richmond Park, then I'll take a tool kit and rely on the tyre boot if necessary.

If I'm just nipping down to the shops (2km round trip) I won't take a tool kit at all. I can push my bike home in 10 minutes.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:51:29 am »
You've got to get a smaller bag! :D

Seriously, very special rides, I can understand taking a spare tyre, but otherwise I think it's OTT.  I speak as someone who carries an embarrassing number of items on the bike - but they're small items.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:04:56 pm »
I reckon it may be wise, looking at the size and pressures of 700x23c tyres to carry a folding spare tyre as well as a tube (I am used to 25x1.5" Schwalbe Marathons and even they can fail)

It will wear quicker, but before it's worn out, I don't think a 23mm tyre is any more likely to fail than a wider one just because it's narrower or uses higher pressure.  They are often more delicate than a tyre you would typically use in a wider size, but they don't have to be.

In fact sidewalls are more likely to fail from under-inflation, so you shouldn't worry about the high pressure too much.