Author Topic: Wiggins to quit road racing after 2014 season  (Read 1958 times)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Wiggins to quit road racing after 2014 season
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:09:30 pm »
Are you sure it says it on that link? I can't open BBC sport links at work but that appears to be a tennis url ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »
Bradley Wiggins to quit road for track at end of next season

Britain's Bradley Wiggins says he will quit road racing at the end of next season in order to return to the track.

etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23754381
Pen Pusher

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:17:37 pm »
So says the interview in The  Times. Apparently Mr Wiggins is planning to (quite literally) build up for a last hurrah on the track in Rio and that spells the end of his road aspirations. After a period of denial he knows the games up and it's time to move on.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »
That makes perfect sense for his career. The training for the grand tours takes a huge commitment that with his family he is less willing to take. He is a good grand tour rider, in the top echelon but not the very best (Nibbles and Froome are the men of the moment). With the focus on the worlds TT he will not do well on the road scene except as a superdomestique doing it for training. Finish off in Rio on the track and close the curtain on an excellent career that he bows out of on his own terms.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »
Yep, makes perfect sense.

He had a 2 year window of opportunity to win the TdF.  He got unlucky once and then pulled it off with his very last chance of success the following year.
Winning Olympic gold the week after made it a year that can never be equalled.

Dave Braislford's numbers must suggest he can still compete on the track or he wouldn't contemplate it.

It would be the perfect end to a wonderful, historic, career if he pulls this off.

Hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2013, 05:56:01 pm »
Makes sense.

The alternative would be to gradually slip down the classification and for people to make unfair comments about how 2012 was a flash in the pan, which he only one because of the weakened field/course/team etc etc. 

A dimming of the starlight, a bit like Cadel Evans, who I spent a lot of the TdF urging to put the gurn on, but he just didn't have it this year.

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2013, 08:55:55 am »
Hour record?

I can't think of many people more suited.

Can he time it like Chris Boardman, and make it his glorious swan song?  It's something I'd love to go and watch (along with half the country I expect)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2013, 07:55:24 am »
The hour record is crying out for a patron to restore its glory. Not Wiggins though, I think another Olympic gold medal is what motivates him.