Author Topic: Garmin Firmware 3.5 - WARNING  (Read 4321 times)

Garmin Firmware 3.5 - WARNING
« on: 16 November, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
So I had a what the hell moment and updated my Oregon firmware from 3.3 to 3.5.

Today I did a DIY 200k, on a 100k last weekend there were no problems, yet today it went through eight batteries in 11 hours! I had to stop and buy more.

The manual claim a battery life of 16 hours, the only difference I can see is the firmware, so I urge caution in "upgrading".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Garmin Firmware 3.5 - WARNING
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2013, 08:42:18 pm »
Have you checked to see if there is something running in the background which is eating all those batteries?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »
That's almost certainly the problem (a thread somewhere running amok, or power-saving measures not being invoked properly), but I don't think the user has the level of control needed to debug or influence such things on an Oregon.

Some resetting with extreme prejudice might help, but you're going to need a lot of patience or an ammeter to tell...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »
Check if the backlight is actually switched off. It might not be noticeable if its on, but it will use up battery quickly.
Also try disabling the compass.

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »
I shall try all those things, but I'm a bit skeptical, to blow through a set of Energizer Lithium Ultimates in under 3 hours, without the back light being on is pretty scary!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2013, 09:26:41 pm »
Maybe set to the wrong battery type? If its set to NiMH and you are using lithium batteries, it would switch off early, while there's still charge left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2013, 11:09:20 pm »
Maybe set to the wrong battery type? If its set to NiMH and you are using lithium batteries, it would switch off early, while there's still charge left.

That's certainly worth checking.  It's the sort of thing you forget about that might get jibbled during a firmware update.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2013, 01:49:18 am »
This might be a long shot, but did you let the unit shut down and restart in its own time or do you "force" a restart, i.e., restarted the unit yourself? If it was a force re-start then there is a good chance the update was not completed correctly and hence is causing you problems ( I am guessing this is what caused my firmware update issues as I was inpatient with the time it took to restart).  I now suspect this may have been in part the cause of my issues with my Oregon 600 which included really poor battery life.  Once I got the firmware re-installed and allowed the unit to restart in its own time it has been reasonably stable.

Maybe something to look into anyway.

EDIT: You can download the firmware file to reinstall it at http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Firmware#x-Firmware%20History-3.50 and further advice etc is available at http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/

Andrew

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2013, 11:12:44 am »
fuaran & Kim - That thought occurred to me after it drained the second set of Lithium Ultimates, so I checked, it was set to NiMH and I changed the setting to Lithium, but that didn't seem to have much effect.

Aushiker - There did seem to be something a little odd in the Firmware updating process, I'll give reinstalling it a try. After all, a battery life of under three hours would make the thing unusable on hikes, never mind Audax! If I were to use it on anything over 600k I could face bankruptcy :)

Additional - I just used the GCD procedure to "down-grade" to Firmware 3.3. It will probably be the weekend before I get a chance to really test the device out again, I don't think just leaving it turn on by the window will tell me much about real world battery life expectancy.

Aushiker - BTW, I did read your Blog post when I was researching the Oregon, but I was enamored of the larger screen and so decided to give one a try. Time will tell if I should have gone with the eTex instead   :-\

Aushiker

« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:20:20 pm »

Aushiker - There did seem to be something a little odd in the Firmware updating process, I'll give reinstalling it a try. After all, a battery life of under three hours would make the thing unusable on hikes, never mind Audax! If I were to use it on anything over 600k I could face bankruptcy :)

Have you had chance to put the firmware downgrade to the test?

Andrew

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »

I always thought this, but eventually had it on good authority (can't remember what!) that the battery type setting does nothing except alter the fuel guage.  Certainly on the Etrex.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »
Which Oregon it, the new one? (following with interest)

« Reply #12 on: 01 December, 2013, 08:31:28 pm »
I finally found time for another 200k and took my Oregon 600 out for another test. This time with firmware 3.3 reinstalled there was a distinct improvement, but I still didn't get near the claimed 16 hours.

The temperature was mid to low 40's, so a bit cold and it certainly slowed me down, but not that bad if you're a battery. This time I was using the Garmin rechargeable battery pack and I got a low battery warning after 11:16 and when I went to save the file at 11:52 the unit turned itself off instead. If I had been using it as my primary data recorder I wouldn't have been happy about that.

I have the following settings:
Touch Sensitivity Set to Normal
Backlight set to approximately 50% Brightness
Backlight Timeout set to 15 seconds (minimum value)
Map Speed set to Normal
Magnetic compass Disabled
GLONASS Disabled
WAAS/EGNOS Disabled
Tracklog set to 'Auto'

So a definite improvement but still a bit disappointing, I don't doubt if I'd used the high powered disposable batteries that I had last time I would have got more time out of the 600, but since I'll typically use rechargeables I thought I should try them out.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
Not an Oregon user but if the manual says 16h and I get 11h30 I'd call that an "oh well, what did I expect  ::-)" sort of moment.

Googling the Garmin rechargeable pack it seems to be just a pair of NiMH AAs rated at 2000mAh.  These are not going to be as good as the absolute best available ones. 
A pair of Sanyo black Eneloops has more capacity than a pair of Energizer Lithiums (though the ED - energy density - isn't as good since they weigh twice as much) and for any regulated load that can run at 2.4V they are the things to use.  A pair of lithiums in a plastic holder is the best choice for spares in the bottom of the luggage, because they are lightweight and have a very long shelf life.

« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2013, 09:23:43 am »
I've just invested in some Sanyo black Eneloops rechargeable batteries for next season, it looks like one thing to take from this is the Garmin rechargeable pack isn't worth the £18 I paid, if you already have a battery charger. The Sanyo batteries can be had for under £12 for 4!  :facepalm:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »
Good call.  I've been testing AAs for nearly 20 years now (sad I know) using a routine that hasn't altered over that time, for consistency.  Though it's no longer a 'real world' test as it was when I started out - the real world having moved on a bit!

But whatever way I measured it, the black Eneloops were more than 10% better than the best of the rest - and for some applications more like 20% better.
This rather fuzzy pdf is a reprint of my report in Arrivee a couple of years ago.

A caveat is that whenever you buy a 4-pack of cells, you are taking a gamble - especially for things that use 4 cells at once like front lights - because any set of cells is only as good as the weakest one.  For a 4-cell light (given how critical this can be, ie does it get you home or doesn't it) you really need to buy an 8-pack and find the best 4.  For 2-cell devices like GPS, it's great if you are able to identify the best 2 out of the 4-pack, and mark them as a pair.

Energizer Lithiums can be 'better' in some specific areas:
* being half the weight - for ultimate runtime per weight carried, 4x Lithiums are usually better than 2x Eneloops - though even then it depends on the device - it's true for Garmins for example, but it wouldn't be true for Hope front lights.
* in applications where a very low voltage is still usable - such as bicycle rear lights - then primary cells and especially Lithiums, make a lot of sense - they'll carry on running long after a NiMH will have fallen off the cliff.
* for backup purposes - because their shelf life is very long.  For example, on long trips I cycle with a backup GPS stored in my bag - this has lithiums fitted, for light weight and long life - it's had the same pair in for about 4 years now.

Aushiker

« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2013, 01:58:20 pm »

Googling the Garmin rechargeable pack it seems to be just a pair of NiMH AAs rated at 2000mAh.  These are not going to be as good as the absolute best available ones. 

For anyone considering using non-Garmin batteries and wishing to recharge in the unit, the Oregon 600 at least has a switch in the battery compartment which is triggered by the Garmin battery pack. Just putting in a couple of batteries into the unit will not trigger the switch and will not at least activate the in-unit recharging; the batteries will work but as batteries.  I have got around this myself by using a piece of on old credit card to create a bridge.

Regards
Andrew

Andrew

« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
Hi
I've just come across this forum whilst doing a search relating to a Garmin Oregon 600, I use my Oregon 600 for walking, I had the same problem after I updated the firmware to 3.5, before the update the battery life was around 16hours using standard Duracell batteries and that was with everything turned on,
Touch Sensitivity Set to high
Backlight set to approximately 50% Brightness
Backlight Timeout set to 2 mins
Map Speed set to fast
Magnetic compass enabled
GLONASS enabled
WAAS/EGNOS enabled
Tracklog set to 'Auto'
 after the firmware update the battery life went down to 4 hours, I changed the batteries to lithium and changed all the settings to reduce the battery usage and still got around 4 hours usage.
I got in touch with Garmin as it was still under warranty, they advised to reset it to factory settings, it didn't work.
I got back in touch with them and they said it was a corrupt file during the update. The only why to sort it out was to send it back to them, I did and I got a new device sent to me within 2 days.
I updated the firmware again to 3.5 and all it fine with it, but now I get around 20 hours out of  set of lithium batteries with everything turned on.
If your still having problems with your device I suggest you get in touch with Garmin to get it replaced.

« Reply #18 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »
Interesting, I've just updated to 3.6, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. If problems persists I'll take your advice.

« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:40:51 pm »
Hi
I updated to 3.6 last week.  So far no problems with this update.
I've just remembered that garmin told me not update the unit whilst connected to the internet using WiFi
Please keep me updated I would like to know out come.
Regards

« Reply #20 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »
Finally got a chance to repeat my 200k. With flooding and a puncture it took 11 hr 25 min, at the end of the ride the Oregon saved the file without problems and was still showing one bar in the power display.

It would seem that the new update (Firmware v3.6) is an improvement in power consumption  :)

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2014, 10:20:13 am »

I've just remembered that garmin told me not update the unit whilst connected to the internet using WiFi

Regards

That seems a bit of a problem for many people - do they make this clear in the initial update instructions?

I remain ultra wary of updating my Etrex20 after an update went wonky and it was only sorted by a call to Garmin Tech support which advised me to do something which the update instructions specifically told me not to do under any circumstances.

My Etrex 20 misbehaves sometimes and even very occasionally freezes but since I can always sort this by switching on and off or just popping the batteries out and back in again I'd rather live with the devil I know.