Author Topic: Cycling Back to Happiness  (Read 1879 times)

Cycling Back to Happiness
« on: 06 December, 2013, 10:55:08 am »
Thought this might be worth sharing. Apologies if you've already read it elsewhere.

Early on in 2013 I began to feel a bit down never really having suffered with personal mental health issues before. I posted it about then (on the other place) but shrugged it off as I took delivery of my new bike, the days lengthened and I prepared for LEL. Come October, LEL and SR completed and the nights drawing in, the depression returned with a vengeance.

Mostly this was related to a stressful work environment, in fact thru October I was 'dealing' with the stress by drinking after every shift as I couldn't switch off any other way. This was obviously not a long term solution and I was hanging on for a week’s annual leave at the end of October. I didn't make the holiday before bursting into tears in the middle of a clinical area (I'm a Charge Nurse in A&E). I felt terrible and seriously thought about resigning on the spot. I even gave up on my Imperial Century a Month challenge nine months in!

The holiday was a temporary reprieve but ultimately work was still a major issue so, after long chats with my wife, on return to the UK I went to see my GP. The few weeks since then have been a bit of rollercoaster to say the least. He signed me off work, started me on antidepressants, we agreed some counselling and he has reviewed me at fortnightly intervals since. A few days after first seeing the GP I was knocked off my bike by a pedestrian, ending up with facial bruising, dental damage, 40 min memory loss and a poorly bike. I'd been cycling trying to keep positive and active. Cycling was temporarily halted but at least I was alive.

At this point sleeping was terrible, I felt negative about everything all the time (awake or asleep), I was having trouble interacting with my 7 year old who in turn started to keep her distance and my wife and I were in different beds as I was so restless. Can't work, can't sleep, family life in turmoil, stopped driving (didn't feel safe), not cycling - I felt I was being stripped of my life! My wife, family, work colleagues and friends were all really supportive but the first two weeks on meds things didn't get better but worse (often the case).

The bike went for repair and once my eye was open I started cycling on another bike. Just short distances to start with but it got me out of the house and gave me something I could actually enjoy for a while. Three weeks in I was back up to 30 miles on my newly repaired bike and last week managed 50 miles without too much difficulty (although I felt tired keeping up with cycling buddies on the hills). Sleep in still an issue and I've just started a short course of night sedation. However, my mood is now much better, work is not such a focus and I plan to return in the New Year.

For me cycling has provided some reprieve, motivation, exercise, enjoyment as well as a yardstick to measure progress. I've not always wanted to get the bike out, particularly on cold wet days, but have always felt better after making the effort. I couldn't have got this far without a great GP and medication, counselling and my wonderful wife. Cycling has been a great help for me thru this period. If I didn't already cycle I might have found something else. However, I can't overestimate the positive impact it has had for me.

So, I suppose what I want to say to anyone reading this who might be in a similar situation is: Things can get better, seek help and don't struggle by yourself, medications can be a useful aid to get you in better mental state to address problems, counselling can be very useful and, whatever you do, keep as active as possible - preferably on a bike.

:)
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Re: Cycling Back to Happiness
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2013, 11:05:46 am »
MAC, I saw your earlier posts - and your ones about DIYs, which is positive!  Didn't realise you were having such a hard time and I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Peter

PS  The blue shirt suits you better!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2013, 11:38:37 am »
Glad to hear that you are making a recovery.

It's all about overcoming the "ICBA" feeling and getting out, isn't it? once riding, everything improves.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2013, 11:57:43 am »
Thanks for posting, MAC. Well done, and all the best with the rest of your recovery.

I find it's often more than just overcoming obstacles to getting out. At times, I find an entire ride extremely difficult, and don't enjoy any part of it. But I do always feel better afterwards, without fail.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »
NHS A&E is a very unhealthy working environment; rather few of the colleagues I met frequently on the exam and interview circuit have had careers uninterrupted by major health issues.
Keep cycling! It kept me going while I could.
I have no regrets about having taken early retirement though.
Hope you have a smooth recovery from your recent off.

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:37:39 pm »
Well done MAC. I went through a similar thing last year, and as a fellow (now former) Registered Nurse, I can fully empathise.
I found the greatest cure was my decision this year to leave nursing and give up my registration - what a relief that was, like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. It's been financially very hard, and may not be an option for you of course.
Sadly, I've been unable to ride my bike since an Audax at the end of June, due to an ongoing physical illness. However, I'm ready to return to some form of care work again; only this time as a part-time Care Assistant. A lot less money, a lot lower status, almost as many working hours but also a lot less hassle!
I'm hoping to maybe get back on the bike in the New Year too, and your story has inspired me. I've also learned that living with a lot less money needn't be a bad thing.
Good luck and hope you continue to improve.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:53:24 pm »
Glad to hear you're getting better and hope you carrying on riding in that direction.
once riding, everything improves.
Even if not on the ride, certainly afterwards. I think this just about sums up the whole forum.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »
Thanks for all the nice comments all. It's good to be in a place I can talk about it  :thumbsup:
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Ruth

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »
Apologies for the thread hijack, MAC, but I thought the thread title made this the most appropriate place to post this link.

It's an article written by someone I worked with until fairly recently, a lovely chap, and I'm sure I saw him out on his bike not long ago on my 'regular' circuit.

http://www.sportive.com/cycling-training/514108/dealing-with-depression-as-an-athlete

« Reply #9 on: 07 July, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »
It's a good article.

Depression is rarely logical. Sometimes the triggers and causes are pretty damn obvious (someone died, loss of a job, a pet, etc).

Sometimes a person can't cope with very ordinary pressures in daily life. I'm a person reluctant to take medicines unless absolutely necessary, but for some people they can be a lifeline. I'm currently embarking on an experiment to see if I'm one of those people.  I can't claim to be enjoying the experiment so far, but I am getting a sense of a fog lifting. Feels like for the last 4 years I've been living each day in crippling mental exhaustion and I've just had a long refreshing sleep.

[edit] meant to add the bit relevant to the thread title. I'm not sure 'cycling back to happiness' is going to be my route to recovery. Might be more 'doing sod all'. I don't normally cope with relaxing.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »
Glad to hear that you are making a recovery.

It's all about overcoming the "ICBA" feeling and getting out, isn't it? once riding, everything improves.

+1

I find that the inertia of getting off the sofa to go cycling gets worse, in a downward spiral, until you suddenly find a few weeks have passed and you haven't ridden.

I don't ever remember though, thinking "I wish I hadn't made the effort to come out cycling". 
I'm always happy that I got out on the bike, even if it's an aimless bimble around the locality (actually that can be my favourite cycling).

It's definitely worth trying to break that initial inertia.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2014, 06:13:53 pm »
When I was working, at one point I was having a hard time through rubbish management decisions. I went to see the doc about something else. Knee I think. He was talking to me and then said "you're depressed". No! I said. But turned out he was right. Work sent me to see their expert and he agreed with my GP. Evidently it can creep up and you do not know anything about it.
All gone now of course. I think. :-\
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
I actually find my own locality to be a pretty depressing place to cycle round. The geography of Southend/SE Essex is such that water gets in the way in whichever direction you go, unless it's the A13 or A127, neither of which is conducive to cycling. The borough is neatly divided into two by the railway, which comes in from the north, and in a straight line from that, all the way to the sea front, the pedestrianised high street. There are therefore only 4 bridging points from the east to the west and they are all very busy, and one of those is the sea front, on which the council has done a half-arsed job of trying to discourage motor vehicles. Unfortunately we live on one of the other three roads, which is very narrow in places and with ridiculously narrow pavements, but still used by quite a lot of heavy lorries, whose wing mirrors are only inches from your head when you walk along the middle of the pavement where it is at its narrowest.

There are "cycling facilities" in the form of a few dedicated or shared use paths around the place, but in most cases they serve little more purpose than a hamster wheel in terms of their usefulness when trying to get anywhere more than about 4 miles away. In order to get a good day out on quiet lanes yesterday, I spent £13 on a train ticket to Marks Tey, 80 minutes away by train.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.