Author Topic: front mudguard QR clips. why?  (Read 932 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
front mudguard QR clips. why?
« on: 05 July, 2014, 08:06:29 pm »
P'raps I be being a bit dim, but the little black wedgey qr blocks , what are they for? Yes I know WHAT they are for, but being a logical thoughtful sort of chap, I got to thinking what if you ran over a drinks can, as you do, and it folds neatly around the tyre, what good is the qr going to be. yes the stays will pop out, but the can will still jam up in the mudguard and still cause an endover, whereas without the qr the says would stay put, and cause said can to be jettisoned, hopefully.  ???  Are they just to appease the 'elf and safety brigade. ?

Re: front mudguard QR clips. why?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »
IMO, if the obstacle jams up against the stays which then pop out there is more chance that the obstacle can fall away rather being dragged up between guard and tyre potentially causing a full front lock up and jettisoning you over the bars.   

More chance, no guarantees...

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »
Stays mounted modern-fashion, at the drop-outs, will tighten against the tyre if they are forced upwards - as the mudguard crumples. The QR systems stop this.

An alternative and older solution is to be careful not to over-tighten the eye-bolts at the mudguard so that they will slide out under pressure. Or ask for mudguard eyes part-way up the fork-blades, retro-fashion.

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:24:30 pm »
This CTC article explains it.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:33:10 pm »
I used to use thick leather mudflaps on my 'guards. I was glad of those QR blocks from time to time, as the 'flaps were quite rigid. If I went down a kerb that used to catch the bottom of a 'flap, out would pop the stays from the QR blocks instead of doing anything more serious. I now use elbow patches as 'flaps as they are far less rigid and still do the job.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2014, 09:38:53 am »

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2014, 11:00:53 am »
I used to use thick leather mudflaps on my 'guards. I was glad of those QR blocks from time to time, as the 'flaps were quite rigid. If I went down a kerb that used to catch the bottom of a 'flap, out would pop the stays from the QR blocks instead of doing anything more serious. I now use elbow patches as 'flaps as they are far less rigid and still do the job.

I like the of using elbow patches.

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2014, 06:35:13 pm »
Not to mention that even leather ones are a fraction of the price of a Brooks example. Easier to attach as well, I simply glued my cheapo leatherette ones onto the 'guards, so no fasteners to worry about.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.