Linked Events

• Brompton Worlds: 28 September, 2008

Author Topic: Brompton World Champs and cycling at Blenheim Palace  (Read 2687 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Brompton World Champs and cycling at Blenheim Palace
« on: 14 June, 2008, 06:23:43 pm »
Sounds fantastic.

Blenheim Palace: Bike Blenheim Palace

As well as general riding round the wonderful park - not normally allowed - there's the Brompton Worlds, in which you have to race said small-wheeled commuting machine while wearing a jacket and tie.

Mr Gates - this is right up your street.  I think I have a nasty pinstripe suit that would be ideal...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Brompton World Champs and cycling at Blenheim Palace
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:16:03 pm »
 ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »
Arse - I'll be in Paris with Mrs Z, and sadly not with the Brompton because she doesn't have one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:09:57 am »
Arse - I'll be in Paris with Mrs Z, and sadly not with the Brompton because she doesn't have one.
There's an easy and obvious solution to that one !
Rust never sleeps

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2008, 11:41:01 am »
Bumpy bump.  We'll be there with the Oxford Cycle Workshop / Cyclox / bike polo contingent.
Unless it's raining.
Anyone else?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2008, 11:50:47 am »
I'll be on holiday - real bummer as this sounds like a whizzo day out.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2008, 10:22:13 pm »
I'll be there. Playing polo.
I am nothing and should be everything

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:24:54 pm »
I'll be there, probably with my Bickerton.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »
Well that was a cracking day out.

Engineering works meant that I was over an hour late at Blenheim, so I missed the CT timetrial and just saw the end of the British Cycling roadrace, held on roads in the grounds, but I was in good time for the main event of the day, the Brompton World Championships.

I wandered round inspecting the machines, but there was far more to see amongst the participants. The rules stipulate jacket, collar and tie, but that leaves plenty of scope for variation. Amongst the participants I saw:
- A gent in pin-striped jacket and waistcoat, and matching pin-stripe shorts, with above-the-knee turnups
- A Scotsman in a kilt
- Someone with a bowler on his helmet
- A rider in a gorilla suit (with jacket, collar and tie)
- A chap in a superhero outfit who seemd to wheelie all his way round
- A Frenchman with chequered helmet, tie and knee-length socks.
- etc etc etc

My Bickerton caused a bit of interest, and several people took photos of it. I also met a fellow Bickertoneer, and other people reminisced with me about their Bickertons.

There was a huge difference in ability amongst the riders - it was only two laps but the fastest riders lapped the slowest. Nevertheless everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, including the dog who spent the ride in a box on the back of his master's bike. I think I heard there were about 450 starters. For the vast majority taking part was the thing.

There was a bit of a delay before the prize presentation (presented by the 11 Duke of Marlborough). Second place in the men's race went to Roberto Heras - yes that Roberto Heras, 3-time Vuelta winner - no wonder there was a difference in ability. The winner was Alastair Kay. The winner in each category won a Brompton.

I had a quick look round the exhibits, watched some bicycle polo, rode round the course, then rode back to Hanborough and submitted myself to the railway system and its replacement bus services.

If it's on next year (and I understand it might well be), I'd be tempted to buy a Brompton just so I can take part.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur