Author Topic: Another car vs cyclist interaction  (Read 3424 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: Another car vs cyclist interaction
« Reply #25 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:27:39 am »
On a couple of my regular routes there are short, sharp hills, with blind summits and turns after them. Quite often people go past anyway, so I do make a point with the people who wait to wave them past when I can see over the crest that the road is clear.

I generally get a thumbs up or a flash of the indicators.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:32:44 am »
More on the tandem than at other times (maybe because we are faster than individually, and this is frequently underestimated by drivers ::-) ), I, or my lovely stoker, have used an outstretched palm to warn drivers not to overtake until we can see the way to be clear.

I find that a stoker doing 'jazz hands', or putting her hands on her head, gets a message across effectively.  The observant among you will see that Superstoker pedalled most of Freewheel with his hand behind his back, a practice he uses at other times as well. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:58:50 am »
[...always used to puzzle me...

a) Most Spoonerisms are apocryphal — he never said 'em.

b) If it was 'up train' it wouldn't spoon.

Pete

« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:15:35 pm »
a) Most Spoonerisms are apocryphal — he never said 'em.

b) If it was 'up train' it wouldn't spoon.
Very much OT .... One which may be non-apocryphal, is that Spooner is alleged to have, in real life, upset the salt on the tablecloth during dinner, and then to have poured wine on the salt.  A sort of Spoonerism-by-action, rather than verbal.  There's no reference to this in Wiki.

« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:19:35 pm »
I thought the recognised calls were "CAR UP!" and "CAR DOWN!" depending on whether the car is going the same or opposite direction to you

I left out the respectively since I cannot seem to learn which is which. It is probably because I am left handed.
Easy.

Car up (... your bum)
Car down (... your throat)
 :)

« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:37:36 pm »
I have long ceased any attempt at offering assistance to car drivers via hand signals to their advantage.They usually do not understand or misinterpret your intentions & resort to some form of abusive response.
It is clear howver that they all appear to understand the hand action for w*nker,d*ckhead & F. off. ::-)

Sadly this is less a reflection on drivers than on our own behaviour as cyclists.  Clearly most drivers expect anger and nastiness from us, to our shame.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

fuzzy

« Reply #31 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:39:51 pm »
I thought it was car up (up ahead) or car back.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 24 September, 2008, 01:10:22 pm »
No.  Car up (or down) the line.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #33 on: 24 September, 2008, 04:32:21 pm »
Grub, he mistook your hand gesture, and missed the first syllable. So instead of Wang-car, all he heard was Car.

What can you do, eh?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #34 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:42:05 am »
Read this out at work, to get the "bloody annoying cyclists" comment. All the usual stuff....shut him up by asking when was the last time he heard of a cyclist killing a car driver.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2008, 07:13:39 am »
Since I first rode in a group, (CTC Sunday rides) I rationalised the directions of "Car Up" and "Car Down" by making the assumption that the group is always riding uphill!  Which is true about 75% of the time.

How am I meant to indicate behind my back to other riders when I'm on a 'bent? My arms don't contort that way, so I point right over my head with my left hand to indicate "Moving out".
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 25 September, 2008, 07:36:29 am »
Since I first rode in a group, (CTC Sunday rides) I rationalised the directions of "Car Up" and "Car Down" by making the assumption that the group is always riding uphill!  Which is true about 75% of the time.

How am I meant to indicate behind my back to other riders when I'm on a 'bent? My arms don't contort that way, so I point right over my head with my left hand to indicate "Moving out".

Bloody 'bent riders with their funny ways, confusing everyone else!   ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 25 September, 2008, 09:42:03 am »
Read this out at work, to get the "bloody annoying cyclists" comment. All the usual stuff....shut him up by asking when was the last time he heard of a cyclist killing a car driver.

Though I was tempted towards that by a woman in a Volvo who thought it was OK to try forcing me under the wheels of a JCB.  I think I'd be forgiven.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #38 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:01:17 am »

Does he not know of Mr Larrington and his love of Vienetta?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.