Author Topic: Damn! Beaten in the Tour de Commute!  (Read 2475 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Damn! Beaten in the Tour de Commute!
« on: 01 October, 2008, 10:04:18 am »
Now I am not fast. My 5 mile or so commute takes around 22 or 17 minutes depending on the direction, and all over Edinburgh there will be riders scoffing at such pace. But on my route I am never passed. Well, maybe once this year, but the guy had obviously put everything into it and I sailed past again when we started going uphill and I heard the unmistakeable sound of a lung being coughed up.

And the RLJers, but amost without exception they're caught again.

So this morning I rode the first mile or so to join up with the (very good) off road cyclepath that runs for a good 2 miles or so towards the centre of town. As I join I notice a guy on a road bike to my left, but there's space so I swing right. About 100 yards on he sails past. Trek road bike, lycra longs against the cold, backpack covered in a bright yellow waterproof cover.

Bloody-mindedness kicks in and I accelerate to match his pace. I'm going 2, maybe 3, mph quicker than I normally would, but holding the gap around 10 yards until we reach the one (light controlled) road crossing. He glances round just after stopping and our eyes meet. The gauntlet is laid down.

He powers over the road, swings round a jogger and clicks up through the gears. My acceleration is more gradual, but where I'd normally be happy to cruise at 17mph I'm now spinning at 21mph, holding a steady gap of about 20 yards that he opened up in the leap from the lights. But I know the uphill is coming. Half a mile steady climb through a tunnel. I've lost count of the number of people I've picked off here.

But not this time. Bugger he's quick! At the top end the opening is narrowed by a railing and he pops round a slower rider just before reaching that point. I slow, courtesy overhauling testosterone with my legs thankful. Out of the tunnel and on the flat it's clear he's maintained the rate and suddenly has about 60 yards on me as we head through an estate to come out on the main road. And then I have him in my sights again, traffic lights my friends.

There's another glance as I roll up behind, but for now a truce is called as we both see the next lights are red as well. The roll away is sedate. At those lights both he and another cyclist take an early green. This forces me to pull away quicker than normal, but into stride immediately and again I have a gap I can hold. And here it becomes clear that in traffic I might have a slight edge. He does move out of the cycle lane to pass other cyclists, and does so confidently, but incrementaly I am catching.

But then disaster! He puts another cyclist between us just as the cycle lane disappears and the traffic builds up. I'm stuck behind and gaps aren't opening up for me to take my usual spot on the right of the traffic. When it does finally happen and I leap out I get 100 yards down the road and an ambulance siren sounds from far behind. Making as much distance as I can I pull in so as not to cause an obstruction (unlike the car now in front of me) but by the time I'm up to speed again the hare is nowhere to be seen.

I catch another red at a juction where he could have gone any one of four ways.

Damn you Trek-boy. We will meet again.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Damn! Beaten in the Tour de Commute!
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:09:24 am »
*nods in recognition*

A wonderful vignette - worthy of the pages of citycycling ;D
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:10:45 am »

Bloody-mindedness kicks in and I accelerate to match his pace. I'm going 2, maybe 3, mph quicker than I normally would, but holding the gap around 10 yards until we reach the one (light controlled) road crossing.

Never mind. His bike was probably electrically assisted and you never noticed. Erm.

That crossing was blocked this morning by a blonde woman in a red car - the traffic was queueing back all the way from Peffermill Road and it was far more important that she waited 6 feet further forward than she leave the crossing clear as she sat there waiting. I was so tempted to see if I could ride over her, but I figured riding into her wouldn't have the same effect. I should put her in the rant thread.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:11:03 am »
*nods in recognition*

A wonderful vignette - worthy of the pages of citycycling ;D

Rumbled...  :-[ (though I miiiiiight have enough material already this month)

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:13:49 am »
Nothing wrong with a little ding-dong...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:19:05 am »
Nothing wrong with a little ding-dong...

Unfortunately he 'dinged' me and I didn't quite have enough 'dong'. Erm. And I forgot to look at his socks!  :P Seriously though, he was clearly a stronger rider and I think I was putting more in trying to keep up than he was putting in to stay ahead. I seem to fall into this gap of faster than the average commuter, but slower than a proper rider.

Kirst, that's happened to me there plenty of times. One time the traffic was completely stopped but the crossing had been left clear. I rolled up and nothing was coming the other way and just as I was about to go across a bloke pulled forward into the gap. By now traffic had appeared the other way and I didn't have time to go round his back and across so had to hit the button and stopp all the traffic.

Muppet.

I gave hime the 'Stare of Death by Embarrasing Disease'.

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:25:10 am »
Put a bigger gear on.... Ambush him...  :demon:

PS Maybe he didn't like being chased? It seems he may have been working hard too.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:36:09 am »
After a month's slowish touring, I had a rather nice commute in this morning.  I set off with plenty of time (unusually) and I was trying to reacclimatise to traffic which doesn't sit half a mile behind me nodding encouragement.  With no imperative to get to work fast, a touch more caution than usual, and the memory of gentle, fun riding rather than daggers-drawn commuterrorism which is the norm, I allowed myself to be passed about fifteen times.  Sorry chaps, this morning I didn't fancy taking the baton.

Especially since I was swanking about with my brand new messenger bag and I needed the extra time to make sure everyone saw it.  :D

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:41:55 am »

Unfortunately he 'dinged' me and I didn't quite have enough 'dong'.

One of those 'boy' things.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2008, 03:18:05 pm »

Especially since I was swanking about with my brand new messenger bag and I needed the extra time to make sure everyone saw it.  :D

Very pretty!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2008, 03:55:59 pm »
Swanker! :P
Getting there...

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »
I overtook a boy from the boys school today who was on a road bike. He didn't look too impressed.  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2008, 04:33:50 pm »
I overtook a boy from the boys school today who was on a road bike. He didn't look too impressed.  ;D

Isn't that the cycling version of a boy pulling a girl's ponytail or a girl putting his initials inside a heart on the back of her exercise book?  Do you have your eye on this young man?    ;) ;D  I think your father should be told...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »
I reckon it's just because gears are quicker than fixed  :demon:

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:03:19 pm »

I shan't take the bait...  O:-) ::-)

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:03:49 pm »

He also said you were wearing black socks...

« Reply #16 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »

He also said you were wearing black socks...

Chut! He doesn't know that I am chasing him...  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »
And the rub that Anth hasn't mentioned yet, is the other rider, the quicker one, was wearing white socks !!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:13:58 pm »
Ouch, Grub!   ;)