Author Topic: Oh dear!  (Read 733 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Oh dear!
« on: 23 March, 2015, 07:57:12 pm »
Went out for a short ride t'smornin about 7.30am, and was struggling a bit on Blodders. felt like the brakes were on . So i stopped and spun both wheels, nothing wrong there then. then came home after about 32km. As i moved the bike I noticed the rear wheel moved side to side. And so it was, about 1/2" . Its a campag 9 speed hub, with the two part axle. Any way, I flipped the bike over to take the wheel out, released the qr, and then noticed the axle lock nuts were loose, and the axle had undone itself. now this i find hard to understand. i thought they were tight, but not only had they loosened, but also unwound aswell. how did it do this with the qr skewer done up?, the qr threads are not stripped.So I tightened them up and put it back in, but noticed a harshness when the wheel was spinning and the crank was about 11 o'clock. So took wheel out again, and spun the sprockets and it was very harsh and gritty. Off with the cassette, and off with the axle/freehub body, All looked clean and well lubed, then I noticed the cause of the noise. Where the pawls sit in the recess of the freehub, the surface area directly behind them on the outer surface was rough, and sharp, as if it had been acting as a pawl itself. So i filed these smooth again, an also smoothed off the underside, cleaned it all up, and put it back together. Spins loverly now, no grinding or roughness. So I'm wondering if the damage was caused by the axle spreading, thus the freehub sliding out of the body almost, or somehow , the other way round. Still can't understand how the axle could unwind and spread the rear triangle, without breaking the skewer. ???

Re: Oh dear!
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2015, 11:14:34 am »
About 2 hours after you did your unfortunate ride I also ended up with a bike leaning on a farm gate, multitool in hand. This time the problem was a cracked seat post (alloy) bending backwards and nearly off. I tried to twist it out but (as I expected) it snapped off completely to leave the stump inside the frame. Several hours of filing will be needed to get that out.