Author Topic: anyone going for a first SR this year?  (Read 21030 times)

Julian

• samoture
Re: anyone going for a first SR this year?
« Reply #125 on: 01 October, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »
Well done, Andrij!  :D

frere yacker

« Reply #126 on: 01 October, 2008, 03:40:55 pm »
Maybe next year you can fit in some hills  :demon:

'Grats and all that.  SR in your first season is good gunning

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #127 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:47:41 pm »
I managed to get my first SR this year and it wouldn't have been possible without this website.  The 400 and 600 were both organised on the forum and the vast majority of the audaxers that I know, were first encountered on 'the other place'.

Although I did a few 100km rides last year, this was my first year of longer rides and I set myself a target of getting my Randonneur 1000.  After completing a 300 in June I realised that an SR could be possible.  So here's how I got it:

March - Kingdom of Fife 200
June - Snow Roads 300 (2.25AAA pts!)
Aug - Kingdom Come 400 (perm)
Sep - Twilight 600 (perm)

So what do I do now?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #128 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:50:13 pm »

Yes, my rides have tended to be a bit flat.  I like it that way.  Then again, I know I need to work on my climbing - that's one of the plans for the winter.  Then I may be able to tackle some of the rides I'd like to do next year...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #129 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
[Then again, I know I need to work on my climbing - that's one of the plans for the winter. 

Actually, I think your climbing is pretty good.  Climbing is mostly about finding a rhythm and some mental strength - you have both of those.

The problem last weekend appeared to be that you started each hill (big or small) as if it were a big hill.  If you have some speed going down the little hills, then your ride would have been much easier as you would have avoided having to work on the up-part.

It's really simple: power to weight ratios.  You have the power, but a heavy bike really took its toll at the end.  If the weight south of the saddle was less (and possibly north as well) then your climbing will be quite awesome.

« Reply #130 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:37:49 pm »

Yes, my rides have tended to be a bit flat.  I like it that way.  Then again, I know I need to work on my climbing - that's one of the plans for the winter.  Then I may be able to tackle some of the rides I'd like to do next year...

You might be surprised how big a difference a lightweight road bike makes.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #131 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

You might be surprised how big a difference a lightweight road bike makes.

I know this to be true - on my Thorn audaxing bike, I grovel up Bastard Hill in Richmond Park in the middle ring or even drop down to the granny if I'm not feeling like making an effort.

When I took my beautiful new carbon confection out, I didn't need to drop down from the big ring to the bottom (this one has a compact double, not a triple).  Even allowing for sheer bloodymindedness (I was in a bad mood) there's no way I could climb that hill on a 54 tooth ring on the Thorn, even though that's a road bike rather than a hybrid.  :)

« Reply #132 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »

I know this to be true - on my Thorn audaxing bike, I grovel up Bastard Hill in Richmond Park in the middle ring or even drop down to the granny if I'm not feeling like making an effort.

When I took my beautiful new carbon confection out, I didn't need to drop down from the big ring to the bottom (this one has a compact double, not a triple).  Even allowing for sheer bloodymindedness (I was in a bad mood) there's no way I could climb that hill on a 54 tooth ring on the Thorn, even though that's a road bike rather than a hybrid.  :)

Ah yes, a Thorn. The road bike equivelent of a rubber tank.

If you've got the dough Andrij, I'd go titanium for long distance if I were you.

border-rider

« Reply #133 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:44:38 pm »

If you've got the dough Andrij, I'd go titanium for long distance if I were you.

seconded

If you don't want to spend van N or Enigma cash, look at XACD.  Thorns are very worthy n'all, and if I were touring the planet I might look at one.  But for audax, save yourself pounds (of weight)

« Reply #134 on: 01 October, 2008, 11:11:07 pm »
I did one 200 last year so this is effectively my first year of audax

05/05 200 ECCA Festival, High Easter
14/06 400 Asparagus and Strawberries
20/07 300 Fairies Flatest
27/09 600 Teethgrinder's Middle Road Perm

I think I need to tackle some hills now as I have been a bit cautious about increasing distance and hilliness at the same time.  Did some other 200's with 'New Forest On and Off-Shore' being my favourite. 

I'm still not convinced my Brooks B17 is ever going to get 'arm-chair' comfortable, dreading to think what my backside will feel like if I manage to complete LEL on it.

frere yacker

« Reply #135 on: 02 October, 2008, 07:31:49 am »
The great things about hills is that the scenery can go all the way up to 11.  Personally, I think AUKs miss out a lot if they don't put their grimping boots on.

« Reply #136 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:30:02 am »

Hills can take your mind off potentially "boring" miles, too.

« Reply #137 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:54:31 am »

Hills can take your mind off potentially "boring" miles, too.

Yes, pain's good at masking boredom.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #138 on: 02 October, 2008, 11:46:41 am »

seconded

If you don't want to spend van N or Enigma cash, look at XACD.  Thorns are very worthy n'all, and if I were touring the planet I might look at one.  But for audax, save yourself pounds (of weight)

Thirded (?) I picked up a Litespeed Firenze frame which had been stripped of its bits (ooer!) and built up a nice comfortable jobbe. Even with 120 psi in the tyres it smoothes everything out nicely 

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

frere yacker

« Reply #139 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:14:06 pm »
Keep it real, stick to steel  ;)