Author Topic: Using Mysql with OpenOffice base - SOLVED  (Read 900 times)

Using Mysql with OpenOffice base - SOLVED
« on: 03 October, 2008, 10:44:38 pm »
I’ve downloaded Mysql and installed it on Windows XP.  I already have a database, which was set up under Linux on another machine, and the files have been successfully imported to Windows.  I can use this database at the Windows command prompt and perform all the command line functions in Mysql, at least the ones I’ve learned so far, just as I can under Linux (except it all performs so much s l o w e r !).

I would like to use the Mysql database from OpenOffice Base, and have tried using the database wizard to set it up, but am having trouble with it.  Can anyone take me through the necessary steps?

Re: Using Mysql with OpenOffice base
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Solved this myself, with help from this excellent post on OOo Forum.org (scroll down for Jym Dyer's post).

The only bit I had to search around a bit for was what to put in the 'Server URL' field of the database setup wizard (item 4.d in Jym Dyer's post referred to above).  He says 'Enter the database's hostname (just the hostname, not an URL) in the Server URL field.'  In the end I discovered that I needed to put just 'localhost' in that field!

I've now got my database working under Base almost like it was under Access.  The main difference is how s l o w it is?  Any ideas why?