Author Topic: Full value rider strategy.  (Read 11943 times)

Re: Full value rider strategy.
« Reply #125 on: 17 June, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »
Humans and animals in the wild, with access to an adequate supply of water, do not die of dehydration.
We survived for millennia before we were literate or exposed to water marketing hype.

Animals in the wild like to find a 'salt lick'.
They seem to have a better understanding of their body's needs than humans.
Maybe that's because they've been around for 30 million years, not a miserable 3 million years.

Every equestrian supplies in the country sell 'Likit' salt lick blocks.

On a bicycle, its the rider, not the steed that needs one.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #126 on: 17 June, 2015, 02:04:29 pm »
If you are hot and cannot drink, sponge yourself with a wet flannel or soak your clothes in water. Evaporative cooling is very effective.
(Oh, and remove your h*lm*t if you are wearing one; scalp sweat needs to dry!)

If you have enough water for that...  :D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #127 on: 17 June, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »
If you are hot and cannot drink, sponge yourself with a wet flannel or soak your clothes in water. Evaporative cooling is very effective.
(Oh, and remove your h*lm*t if you are wearing one; scalp sweat needs to dry!)

If you have enough water for that...  :D

Running short of water is Bad Management. Every rider should ensure there is always some water for drinking/dousing/washing.

I posted about wetting clothing etc in response to rider who was apparently too hot but unable to drink.
(I have run out of water after arriving empty at a control that had no potable cold water. I found a shop PDQ.)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #128 on: 17 June, 2015, 03:03:39 pm »
I know, I was being silly ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #129 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »
i remember pouring water on my head and arm-coolers during early stages of tcr, then realised in the 40'c heat it doesn't make a difference as water evaporates in two minutes and you are left with less water in bidons, but still as overheated as before. saving water for drinking worked better.

Phil W

« Reply #130 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »
Most churches have an outside tap for getting water on an audax.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #131 on: 20 June, 2015, 04:48:17 pm »
I think the debate about the link between cramp and dehydration is one that will go on and on .Personally I tend to suffer cramp when pushing it a bit when not very fit.I once tried to do a fast 100 miler round Carmarthenshire with a very fit friend. It was windy and stupidly I insisted on doing my bit at the front until halfway up the black mountain above Brymaman I got the mother of all cramps in both legs simultaneously.

if I had a gun I think I would have shot myself there and then it was unbelievable.I allways drink a lot so think it was purely due to over exertion.

I often wonder whether there's so much debate because of the simple fact we're all different.

I remember riding a 200 with a couple of other members of this forum, taking on appreciably more water than they did but still it was me that had to stop at a pub about 30km from the end because my bottles were empty and I just couldn't face the thought of even 30k with no more water available. My requirements were obviously different to theirs. Since I've never done more than a 300 and they had both completed SRs and longer rides the chances are at least part of that difference was down to fitness levels etc.

The first time I attempted a long (for me) ride solo I didn't take on anywhere near enough food and water, and paid for it on the hills towards the end. The worst part was on a hill that wasn't even particularly bad, approaching Winchester station. One quad cramped so I decided to stop and rest a while. As I stopped the other quad cramped, and as I lifted my leg over the saddle my hamstrings also cramped, causing me to very nearly collapse in a heap. I must have been quite a sight, on the pavement on my knees trying to stretch out both quads at the same time while not staying still for long enough for my hamstrings to notice and cramp again.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #132 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:35:59 am »
“we're all different.”

If I took a muscle tissue biopsy of you and anyone else here, studied it under a microscope and determined it physiology, I‘d have little but conclusive evidence in order to tell them apart.

They will probably have a different ratio of fast and slow twitch fibres within a bundle. Which, I think, is what you are getting at. The electrolyte concentration to provide effective and efficient contraction will be different.