Author Topic: Post honeymoon shock  (Read 1074 times)

Post honeymoon shock
« on: 12 August, 2015, 05:36:36 pm »
Hello,

This is something I never do, as I appreciate that I do a fair amount of events, and this place is full of people who trot out 500k before breakfast. However, after a fortnight of sunbathing and relaxing after finally becoming a wife last week all of a sudden next Saturday I have to ride 310 miles from Newcastle to London in the Ride24 event.

I've prepared as well as I can leading up to it, I've done countless 200k and 300k rides every weekend, also done an SR with the Severn Across and Mark's 600k of Welsh impossibleness. Plus training twice or 3 times a day, both cycling and running. My mileage has been huge in preparation, good job really as I've done no long rides for a fortnight. I did get up every day before 6am to train for a couple of hours every day on my honeymoon though, so dedicated :)

I'm doing it because my school friend Amy went through the tragic experience of stillbirth to her daughter Lily Mae. I never ask for sponsorship for anything usually, I haven't for years. But I'm so proud of the charity that Amy has set up as a result of something so awful, that I really wanted to do something to help.

So for this ride, as riding through the night is something I find very difficult (I need my sleep as anyone who has seen the state of me on the long rides will testify!!) I would love it if people could sponsor me and spur me on to keep riding when I want to get in a car or on a train or lie on the floor and have a nap.

My justgiving link is here
www.justgiving.com/HeatherMackayRide24

Thanks for reading
Lots of love from me

Re: Post honeymoon shock
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2015, 06:02:54 am »
All the best for your ride, Heather. 

The Lily Mae Foundation is helping people deal with such a tough issue that is rarely discussed or understood (in my experience).  I didn't know until I saw my birth certificate when I was 14 or so that I had a sister, Elizabeth, who was stillborn.  My mother had never been able to speak of it. She told me about her then and we never talked of her again. So sad.

I hope you get lots of support for the Foundation and "enjoy" the Ride24 (or at least the sense of accomplishment).  :thumbsup:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2015, 09:08:08 am »
Thank you so much, and also for your generous donation xx

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »
You've met your target!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2015, 06:55:07 pm »
Yep and very grateful to everyone. Meeting the official target doesn't mean sponsorship has to stop tho ;)

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2015, 06:44:29 am »
Time to increase the target?
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:17:12 pm »
Thank you lots to those of you who have so kindly sponsored me. Having a proper reason to finish is some incentive for sure!!!

Am up in Newcastle ready (ish!) to ride back tomorrow :)