Author Topic: Unable to remove cleat  (Read 1798 times)

Unable to remove cleat
« on: 09 March, 2016, 06:42:44 pm »
I have Time Atac cleats on my cycle shoe and was unfortunate to have rounded off one of the hex bolts.
Does anyone have tips of how to remove the cleat?

Re: Unable to remove cleat
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:48:10 pm »
Drill it out. You can get special bits

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
If you haven't got one, buy a cheap 1/4" hex drive security bit set - probably about a fiver from Screwfix or Leyland paints or other slack-in-quality tool vendor.
Choose a sacrificial six point star bit, that's a little bit too big to fit into the mess you've made.
Hammer it in to the mess hole and proceed to unscrew using the 1/4" inch driver.
I've successfully used this method a number of times.
If you're lucky, you'll come away without having trashed the security bit.

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:05:50 pm »
If you haven't got one, buy a cheap 1/4" hex drive security bit set - probably about a fiver from Screwfix or Leyland paints or other slack-in-quality tool vendor.
Choose a sacrificial six point star bit, that's a little bit too big to fit into the mess you've made.
Hammer it in to the mess hole and proceed to unscrew using the 1/4" inch driver.

That's an interesting solution, I'll try that myself next time.

It's happened to me a couple of times I just used a hacksaw/grinder to cut two flat edges on the round head so you can get a purchase with a spanner/pliers/mole wrench etc.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »
Use a junior hacksaw to cut the cleat into bits that can be removed and use mole grips on the offending bolt once the cleat has gone.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:29:52 pm »
Take the Mythbusters option.

<Jamie> 'When in doubt - C4!' </Jamie>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:08:31 am »
With some shoes you can replace the metal inserts that the bolts go into, if you cant's get a bolt out cleanly. I've done that with SPuD type shoes with stripped threads. Places like SJS have them.

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:48:20 pm »

Thank you for all who made suggestions for solving my dilemma. A good ol' junior hacksaw that
was lying in my tool box sorted things out.

Thanks again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »
Go back in time to when you fitted the cleats, apply copper grease to the threads and fill the bolt heads with hot glue or similar.  Now you just have to prise the plug out with a sharp object and insert a hex bit/allen key.

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:02:58 pm »
I have applied copper grease (and remembered not to over-tighten the bolts).  :-[

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »
Go back in time to when you fitted the cleats, apply copper grease to the threads and fill the bolt heads with hot glue or similar.  Now you just have to prise the plug out with a sharp object and insert a hex bit/allen key.

Or go back a bit further and just don't fit them at all.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:20:07 pm »

That's an interesting solution, I'll try that myself next time.

It's happened to me a couple of times I just used a hacksaw/grinder to cut two flat edges on the round head so you can get a purchase with a spanner/pliers/mole wrench etc.

It's a general engineering solution to a wide variety of problems.
The correct tool does not fit -> use the next-best thing that does, aided with a hammer.

For example, working on an old car with nuts and bolts that are badly rusted.
The correct socket will no longer fit on the hex.
Solution: Use the next-smallest size socket ( try the old Imperial ones too ), and belt it on with a hammer.
The rust will flake away, and the smaller socket will drive it's own grooves into the 'good' metal.

Of course, the outcomes can be variable.
Best outcome is the nut comes off.
Otherwise, it shears.
Or the sacrificial socket becomes a permeant part of the vehicle.