Author Topic: Cheap sat nav needed  (Read 1177 times)

Cheap sat nav needed
« on: 24 May, 2016, 09:13:45 pm »
Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago I had to make a reasonably short trip in an area that I was not entirely familiar with. I thought I could remember the way, however, I ended up going via a nearby town that I didn't need to.

I decided to put google maps on to navigate but I couldn't hear the voice prompts due to wind.

So, two things "what's the cheapest" questions please:

1. Satellite navigation for a bike, preferably in the style of entering a postcode and it plots the course (just like a typical tomtom for a car)
2. The other style, where you upload a route to the device and it plots your position relative to the programmed route, preferably zooming to a useful size!

I've been a bit reluctant to buy anything in this area as most of it seems quite expensive. I've wondered about a hands free earpiece so I can hear the prompts, but I /think/ that would interfere with the bluetooth'd heart rate monitor.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Ed

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Cheap sat nav needed
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:43:39 am »
Buy a cheap pair of "sports" earbuds, those with a curly bit of plastic that goes around the back of the ear.  Only use one (I have a hearing aid so can only use one, anyway), in your preferred ear and plug them into your phone.  That's what I do when I don't have my GPS with me and need to navigate.

Earbuds like this are what I mean:

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Cheap sat nav needed
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:02:37 pm »
I've been a bit reluctant to buy anything in this area as most of it seems quite expensive. I've wondered about a hands free earpiece so I can hear the prompts, but I /think/ that would interfere with the bluetooth'd heart rate monitor.
It shouldn't interfere. Bluetooth does support connecting to multiple devices at once, so it should all just work as usual.
Probably works best if you have a fairly recent phone - I think this has been improved in more recent Bluetooth versions, and more recent Android versions etc.

Or you can get Bluetooth headphones that also monitor your heart rate, though they are rather expensive, and not sure how well they work.