Author Topic: I have a confession  (Read 1288 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I have a confession
« on: 15 July, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
The dark side is taking over. 

I've been having thoughts of recumbent trikes as a nice utility solution and selling the majority of my DFs.

I'd already been having these thoughts, but they've been reinforced by a chance encounter with a trike-ist near Oxford Street this morning.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LMT

Re: I have a confession
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2016, 05:20:22 pm »
Don't see why not.

I had a Catrike Expedition for a little over three years, fully fitted with a full set of panniers, fantastic in all weathers, done about 22000 miles with a mixture of commuting, actual bike rides and pottering about. In that time (apart from tyres) the only thing that needed replacing was the chain, cassette and a frayed brake cable. Don't know if I'd want one now living in London as I don't think it would suit the commute but if I was out in the sticks I'd give it some thought.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2016, 05:59:48 pm »
The combination of "recumbent trike" and "utility solution" isn't one that I'd think to play on Mallett's Mallet, unless 'utility' meant hauling a very heavy trailer of stuff (at which they're second to none).

Of course your utility may vary.  If getting it in and out of the house isn't a problem, and you can bear to leave it locked up around town, then it just comes down to what they're like in traffic.  Personally I prefer an upright bike for that sort of thing; flat-barred hybrid or some sort of folder.  Though I've often thought a CLWB bike - perhaps with electric assist - might work quite nicely as a commuter machine.

Of course you've got headwinds where I've got hills, so that's a massive point in favour of the dark side.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2016, 08:52:22 pm »
Getting in/out of house no probs, and Ely is hardly a hotbed of crime.

Traffic into town, two tractors and the odd farmer in a Landy

What's a typical 2nd hand price (26" or 700C rear wheel mandatory)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens