Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2218120 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22675 on: September 16, 2019, 09:45:39 am »
That's funny. Tim's original photo link worked for me yesterday but not today. Google is not much of a friend.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22676 on: September 16, 2019, 09:50:21 am »
A pootle on the tandem up to Epping Forest High Beach tea hut and return down the Lee Valley. Went blackberry picking in Gunpowder Park (near deserted as usual). Shortly after joining the towpath there was a holler from behind along the lines of "hello audaxers" which turned out to be a couple from peak district/Sheffield direction having their first tandem experience on a hired machine from Broxbourne (I think). Presumably they spotted the mudguard stickers. If you are on this forum, hope you enjoyed the rest of the day despite the slight shortcomings of the bike like slipping seatposts!
We stopped for lunch at Stonebridge lock cafe then an ice cream stop at the Olympic Park gelateria, reassuringly expensive but delicious (vegan) dark chocolate available.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22677 on: September 16, 2019, 11:19:13 am »
Not today, not yesterday, but Saturday. Although in a similar way to Tim's ride, it was also Sunday. Having discovered that the famous Fell Club were meeting at a campsite just north of Gloucester I'd stayed at on the way up to YACF Wellesbourne a week ago, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss to meet them and discover the source of or maybe truth about their fame/notoriety.

But before I tell you about them, what about the ride up? Not much to say about that, as I didn't set out till after four so rode to Partway station (about five miles) and got a train from there to Gloucester. On disembarking at Gloucester, I discovered it was Gloucester Pride day and the city centre streets, in fact even the station platforms, were full of drunks in rainbow colours, some of whom were already on the verge of getting lairy. So I made my way straight through the city pausing only to get some chips, cos I hadn't had any lunch, from the Black & White Cafe, which has nothing in common with its Bristol namesake.* Then out over Alney Island, up the delightfully named Chargy Hill and out to the campsite.

What then of the Fellists (Fellers? Fellons?)? Ah, they initiated me into the black (and white?) arts of fellony and swore me to secrecy! Actually, they were remarkably similar to a YACF camping gathering, just a little older, slightly scruffier and without unconventional machinery, unless you count a Brompton. And with a big pile of books that someone had brought along and was trying to get rid of. Apart from that, the normal ingredients of tea, beer and fire were all present!

It started to get dark and it was going to get cold so I made my way home. Stopped pretty soon to put my arm warmers and gillet on under my jacket. It might seem back to front to put the gillet under the jacket but I find it works well as an extra layer between jersey and jacket to trap warmth, whereas over the jacket it does nothing; the jacket is windproof so it doesn't even serve that purpose. Once I'd done that, I was pretty warm.

The car that had been parked at the top of Chargy Hill, usually a lovely spot to admire the view in all directions, with its headlights blazing, was still there, headlights still on. Presumably a dogging spot, though as I've never noticed any sex and drugs litter there I guess that's okay. Difficult to see the long-horned (Highland?) cattle on Alney Island, even knowing they were there. Fortunately they tend to stick to the grass – I suppose the harder path is less comfortable for their hooves, besides they can't eat it! – and at least some of them have white rumps (they're otherwise black). Getting into Gloucester, I asked the first person I saw about a cafe that might still be open. She recommended a place called Portivo Lounge, but she was wearing dark glasses at night and brandishing a bag of dog poo so I ignored her advice and just got something from Sainsbury's. Besides, I didn't really want to stop too long and get 'cafe legs'.

Followed the canal out of Gloucester – not sure if I've done that at night before, but I didn't do a Basil, so all good! (You really don't want to fall in the S&G, it's far deeper than the average canal – the deepest and widest in the world back when it opened – and at least one now-railinged corner has a sad memorial  :(.) Then blasted down the A38 cos it was night so little traffic and would be warmer than the lanes down by the river.

I had a return ticket – due to God's Wonderful 'Rithmetic it's only 10p more than a single – so called in at Cam & Dursley staion, about half way, but of course no one wants to go to Bristol on a Saturday night so the last train had left at 21:32. And just as well, cos it's a straight and flat ride home, though I really could have done with something to eat in addition to the fortuitous Nakd bar I had with me.

Got back home just after midnight and a few streets from home there was a bloke skateboarding down the street. Pretty normal – except that his skateboard had no wheels!

Home, cup of tea, sandwich, the end.

*The Black & White Cafe in Gloucester is named for its timber-framed building, the Black & White Cafe in Bristol is named for lofty ideals of racial harmony (or something along those lines). The one in Gloucester is primarily a take away (hence chips! :thumbsup:), the one in Bristol primarily a cafe (and drug dealing venue). But the main difference for the hungry cyclist is that the one in Gloucester is still open, whereas the one in Bristol was closed and demolished several years ago!

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22678 on: September 17, 2019, 09:16:34 am »
Yesterday, an unintended 120k that would have been 40k shorter if I'd had any sense, since I've been pretty inactive the last week and was less than fit.  Just because of that I did around 45k with a lot of masochistic climbing before lunch, whereafter the weather was too beautiful to start home again so I did another 20k before realizing I was truly knackered and crawling homeward by the easiest route available; only to be forced up a narsty hill again by roadworks.  Got home more or less in one piece and have not yet died.

Saw a sign warning joggers & cyclists not to wear hi-viz during buzzards' nesting-season - they attack from behind and go for the head and nape.  Have to get a black titfer for next year.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22679 on: September 17, 2019, 09:28:31 am »
Followed the canal out of Gloucester – not sure if I've done that at night before, but I didn't do a Basil, so all good! (You really don't want to fall in the S&G, it's far deeper than the average canal – the deepest and widest in the world back when it opened – and at least one now-railinged corner has a sad memorial  :(.) Then blasted down the A38 cos it was night so little traffic and would be warmer than the lanes down by the river.

Our Rhine/Marne canal isn't all that deep but the tow-path has its scary bits. The most amusing one I was through yesterday had a guard-rail between path & road, a metre of tarmac, a metre of grass and then the water. Fine when there's nobody coming the other way.

It's not entirely surprising that in France you're not supposed to use cycle paths at night.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22680 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:44 am »

Our Rhine/Marne canal isn't all that deep but the tow-path has its scary bits. The most amusing one I was through yesterday had a guard-rail between path & road, a metre of tarmac, a metre of grass and then the water. Fine when there's nobody coming the other way.

It's not entirely surprising that in France you're not supposed to use cycle paths at night.
Cycle paths or tow paths? Or maybe both?

A metre would be wider than lots of the S&G tow path, though not the bits within Gloucester itself that I used the other night, and as for tarmac...

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22681 on: September 17, 2019, 10:23:22 am »
Both, I suppose.  The one along the canal was touted as a wonderful new cycle path when it was opened.  Back then you could do around 50k on it with nary a bump. Nowadays, 'nuff said.

« Reply #22682 on: September 17, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
Off work this week, the kids are at school, Mrs B's at work and the sun is shinning, good opportunity for a long ride.

Or at least that was the plan; a few miles from my planned lunch stop at Rothbury I stopped to take a photo at a Ford (see the splendid Ford gallery), and while rummaging in the saddlebag realised I'd forgotten my wallet :facepalm: I still managed a very respectable 55 mile outing but there's no way I could have ridden my planned 90 mile route on nothing more than a bowl of wheetabix.

« Reply #22683 on: September 17, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
I should start keeping an emergency £20 note in my puncture kit.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22684 on: September 21, 2019, 01:38:11 pm »
A nice 53km solo slow poke rendezvous ride to meet my local cycling club at the usual sat morn cafe.

First proper road ride for my since my abdominal surgery in July (laparotomy for twisted bowel), so I figured a nice steady solo run was just what I was needing.

I joined up with the club run for a short while on the way home, then tailed off to take a slow & steady run home. Certainly I found the new +17 degree stem a lot more comfy, than my old 100mm +6 degree one.    :thumbsup:

My last cycling club run was on the 7th of July, I had no cake, and I ended up in hospital with the twisted bowl the next day!  :o Cakeage was consumed today, so fingers crossed no ill effects. 

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #22685 on: September 21, 2019, 07:14:57 pm »
Went out to Little RIbston (between Wetherby and Knaresborough on the B6164) to watch the 2019 Yorkshire Paracycling International head through.

4 different types of machine were in use (DF bike, DF Trike, Tandem (Blind/Visually Impaired stoker, sighted captain!) and Hand Trike) with several classifications for each machine for both men and women. Some amazing athletes were riding and competing hard for Tokyo 2020 Paralympic qualification points.

I believe the word "Inspiring" may have been used by the (small) crowd gathered by the barriers in the middle of the village. Every rider got applause and a cheer, no matter where they came from. Cracking day out in pretty near perfect weather (apart from the headwind home, but you can't have everything!!  ;) )

On the ride home I bumped into a couple from one of the other clubs from York and we had a mini-paceline going down the B1224 to Rufforth, before peeling off onto the newly surfaced Bridleway into Knapton (and York). The bridleway has been surfaced with the right-hand side (heading to York) done with tarmac (for the cyclists) and the other side done with earth and sand (for the horses).

Total distance for the day: 51.10km.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional Circuit Commissaire

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #22686 on: September 21, 2019, 07:43:56 pm »
With tomorrow's forecast looking decidedly dodgy, I brought forward my usual Sunday run and went up to the Windmill Coffee Shop above Millhouse Green. Set off in chilly fog, took off a layer when the sun broke through after about an hour, and stopped to take a photo. I was first cyclist to the café, but there were a dozen or so by the time I left. There were two or three e-bikes, including that of local hero Brian Robinson, (TdF stage winner in 1958?), well into his eighties now, but still enjoying a ride with his mates with the aid of a few electrons. Super views on the way home, where I learned from Strava that I'd ridden 61 km, gained 938m, and even done a PB up the Millhouse climb. Wonderful.  Pity summer has to end.

« Reply #22687 on: September 22, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »
Last sunday on a week-end with friends, too many drinks on saturday night, a bad night sleep, I set off at 7am before dawn. The temperature was mild, everything quiet, a very nice moment. I reached the sea shore by sun rise. Next was a gentle stroll along the coast, some head wind, but a fantastic time. Summer is over now, I'm glad I could nick this bit before it went away.

« Reply #22688 on: September 22, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »
Having met, we agreed to cancel a group ride and go our separate ways, due to a dire afternoon forecast by the Met office. This included a 90% chance of downpours with thunder and accessories between 1.00 and 4pm with this causing some driving hazards. In the event there was a short shower in the morning for a about five mins and some heavyish rain for a while around 2:30pm for half an hour or so. Ho hum, what a waste. Apparently Autumn is to arrive next week.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22689 on: September 29, 2019, 11:15:01 am »
Sunny today after a week of rain. Set out for coffee hole, tree down across cycle path, lifted bike over, dodgy sacroiliac went pop again. Did another 5k, pain too much, turned back. Had to lift bike over tree again.  Home with 35k on counter and a grudge against the whole bloody world. Sun's still shining. Fckit. :(

ETA not no more it isn't, it's tipping down. ;D ;D ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22690 on: September 29, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »
67km with my local cycling club today!  :thumbsup:

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #22691 on: October 01, 2019, 07:34:59 pm »
Managed a 10 miler late afternoon between the downpours to pick up a couple of freebies from a fellow YACFer. Had it not been for this incentive I don't think I'd have made it out of the house today.   
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22692 on: October 05, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »
Treadled across 'Ull today, forecast for a Sunday ride here is "aquatic". Sorted phone at phone shop, chatted to interested public about my trike.
Had a tasty cholesterol fill at Neise's Diner, sugar overdose at the Rolling Pin, Hedon, and arrived warm and exercised home about two-ish with about forty miles behind.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22693 on: October 05, 2019, 09:42:32 pm »
Did the usual London - Windsor - London run with the mob. Unfortunately it seems my rear tyre now has a humongous bulge in both sidewalls after only fitting it in July. Though to be fair I have actually sewn it back together after a very bad slash... Oh well :(
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #22694 on: October 05, 2019, 11:59:39 pm »
Went out for the 1st 200km audax in at least 8yrs!
Was actually 221km but was a good ride (Nick Wilkinsons 4 counties perm done in reverse).
Front derailleur cable decided to pull through the outer at around the 100km mark but the bike still rolls along at 35-40kph on the smaller front ring.
Stopped at 170km to turn strava on as the gps battery was empty, stepped off the bike to double hamstring cramp. That was an interesting couple of minutes  ;D

10hrs out and moving time of 7hrs42m, happy with that  :D
Also just noticed this ride has taken me past last years mileage total and also over the 10 miles per day avg for the year  :thumbsup:

My knees ache!!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #22695 on: October 06, 2019, 12:04:32 am »
10hrs out and moving time of 7hrs42m, happy with that  :D

:thumbsup:
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22696 on: October 07, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »
Quick 48k to stop the mitochondrion population joining the snows of yesteryear. Coffee & apricot tart at halfway. Miserable weather, clouds coming apart at seams and stuffing falling out. Now basking in afterglow while rigor mortis sets in.

« Reply #22697 on: October 11, 2019, 11:32:38 am »
To Marlow and back so that fuzzy at saddle Safari could fit a alfine 8 hub gear. I have stopped in a cafe in Bourne end before finding a hill to play on the way home  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22698 on: October 11, 2019, 03:07:43 pm »
Managed th6 1i 7 OK. I have lost approx 1mph ave speed but the gears are much quitier than the dual drive.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22699 on: Yesterday at 07:45:10 am »
As I was off to a football match in Wolverhampton yesterday afternoon, I thought I would take a ride down the disused railway line path which runs from that City down towards Womborne/Himley. Having checked photos of the route I thought that my CX bike would be suitable but in a second of madness, decided to take my MTB instead.....

Well it turns out that an MTB was not the right bike for the job.... no, I needed a Fat Bike as the path was so muddy that I spent most of the time slipping around and came close to coming off a couple of times. Thus: NOTE TO SELF: stick to riding on the road, its much more fun and less dangerous than heading off road!

In the end, I gave up after 3 miles and turned around to return to the football ground. I will return next summer when the path should have dried out but currently, its not a route for me although there are lots of nice things to see along the route including an excellent bridge that I will post a photo of in the correct section in a bit.

Oh.... and the football was good with Warstone Wanderers winning 4-3 on penalties after a Nil Nil draw against Hanley Town Reserves.
Cats to the left of me, cats to the right of me, cats sitting on my keyboard making far more sense than I do.