Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2426355 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23000 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:23 pm »
20.06 km out to Gerrard's cross and back via  the  chitty chitty bang bang ford and..pinewood studios . Ave 13.7 km  🙂.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23001 on: April 02, 2020, 09:34:02 pm »
20.06 km out to Gerrard's cross and back via  the  chitty chitty bang bang ford and..pinewood studios . Ave 13.7 km  🙂.

That sounds nice.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #23002 on: April 03, 2020, 08:35:46 am »
With some very good weather forecast from Sunday, I just hope we are not going to see a repeat of the scenes from a couple of weeks ago with everyone going out into the countryside to enjoy the weather.

People being irresponsible like that will just knock everyone back again and bring in added restrictions with the potential that no-one can even go out at all or risk being fined.

Please, please do not ignore the Government advice and stay at home.  It will be difficult for sure, but lets try and deal with this pandemic first and hopefully we still might be able to enjoy the Summer.

« Reply #23003 on: April 03, 2020, 09:13:47 am »
On the road at 6 a.m just before dawn.  I go out for an hour, so today that was 13 miles in the lanes and then home for breakfast.  Very pleasant with all the birds shouting at each other.  This time last week it was still around freezing at that time; today it was a balmy 5 degrees.

« Reply #23004 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:33 am »

That sounds nice.  :)

Yes it was a  good little ride..the chitty chitty  bang bang  ford looks nothing like it did in the film these days. The woods in black park appear in a  number of hammer horror films and are still used occasionally in some modern movies   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #23005 on: April 03, 2020, 12:18:19 pm »
Chitty chitty bang bang ford?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23006 on: April 03, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »
short 33km ride, felt cold, couldn't get legs to work......meh!

« Reply #23007 on: April 03, 2020, 03:15:51 pm »

I think cycleman might mean the Genevieve ford.
http://www.donbrockway.com/filming%20locations.htm

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23008 on: April 03, 2020, 03:20:59 pm »

I think cycleman might mean the Genevieve ford.
http://www.donbrockway.com/filming%20locations.htm
Thanks! You and cycleman both have greater movie knowledge than me.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Phil W

« Reply #23009 on: April 03, 2020, 03:37:54 pm »
Yes did a minimal distance loop round the outside of town.

My basic rules were.

1. You can only exit / enter the boundary of town in one place.
2. You can go anti clockwise or clockwise but must maintain that direction.
3. You must circumnavigate the town you live in, doing it in the minimum distance possible. Either a road or off road version depending on bike and options.
4. You must not re-enter the town till the circumnavigation is complete.
5. You should make every effort to avoid any other nearby town.
6. You have a bit of latitude on lanes you pick based on their condition.
7. You can ignore more direct main roads you wouldn't normally ride, even if it may be ok during the lockdown.

Made for a pleasant loop and connected the lanes in a way I hadn’t done as a whole before. As I usually head off further afield. Meant I got a reasonable length ride in and never all that far from home at any point.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #23010 on: April 03, 2020, 04:28:23 pm »

My basic rules were.

Congratulations it sounds like a splendid plan
It has a lot of the elements of a 200km Round Leicester DIY that I planned a few years ago, but never rode.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23011 on: April 03, 2020, 04:40:38 pm »
sounds interesting, and in my case would effectively follow the course of the February Hardriders TT run from the village, starting at the pub at the other end.

Today I followed a short part of that route adn then deviated.  Glorious sunshine, if a little breezy, and I went a little over enthusiastic with the pace and HR, but it was the first time i've been out since my eye screening in late February
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23012 on: April 03, 2020, 05:29:04 pm »
I did about 10 miles on the Moulton.  It's much better as a fixie.  I need to get another LH brake lever and butcher it, because a "real" brake lever rattles insufferably with no cable attached.  Plus it reminds you not to pull it in an emergency  ;)
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #23013 on: April 03, 2020, 06:31:37 pm »

So it seems:
The car is powered by a Ford three-litre V6 engine and has a dashboard plate from a British World War I fighter plane.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13405700
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23014 on: April 03, 2020, 07:24:47 pm »
50k solo from home out to Linlithgow and back.  Roads a bit busier than earlier in the week and worryingly saw one group of 4 cyclists who looked highly unlikely to be from the same household.  Suprised the police didnt stop them as I saw a police car on 4 separate occasions, unheard of in normal conditions.

I suspect we will see a further clampdown after Sunday given the warm forecast. 

« Reply #23015 on: April 03, 2020, 08:04:58 pm »

My basic rules were.

Congratulations it sounds like a splendid plan
It has a lot of the elements of a 200km Round Leicester DIY that I planned a few years ago, but never rode.
The London Orbital audax is 300 km... it would be 200 on the M25! Tbh, if it weren't for illegality, the M25 would be fine, if monotonous, at the moment.

It's a bit boring for my village, sorry, "town" unless you do it as a run...

And Oxford, my university home, has a ring road, so there's an obvious route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2793146736

« Reply #23016 on: April 04, 2020, 09:02:57 am »

My basic rules were.

Seems like a fun game. Not sure it'd work in Sheffield though..

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #23017 on: April 04, 2020, 09:36:50 am »
Minimal distance loop would be fine for me for half of a circle; bit damp for the other half as I live on the coast.

« Reply #23018 on: April 04, 2020, 10:50:05 am »
I used to do the Outer Circle (aka A4040) in Birmingham on Sunday mornings (this was before Sunday shopping ruined weekend cycling).  I think it's 32 miles and it took about 2 hours.  There was a surprisingly fast bit near Erdington and the only real slog was from Stirchley up to Kings Heath (the amusingly-named Pineapple Road).  As I only ever went anti-clockwise, this was right at the beginning for me.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #23019 on: April 04, 2020, 12:34:43 pm »
I note that this is probably the time, if there ever was such a thing (I've been living in Brum for over 10 years and haven't worked up the inclination), to ride the outer circle...

A proper circumnavigation of the Wet Midlands Conurbation is a 200k audax.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #23020 on: April 04, 2020, 05:15:07 pm »
Nice loop down to Largs on deserted roads this morning, a little windy and cold but fine when moving. No cafe's open so Co op for supplies.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46630854
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #23021 on: April 04, 2020, 05:43:03 pm »
Saw Batman again.  This time he was waiting patiently at the pelican crossing next to where the tram terminus isn't[1].  While such adherence to the highway code is classic Batman, it didn't appear to be thwarting him in the pursuit of an arch villain.

[1] One of those classic landmarks you get given by people who've lived somewhere for decades.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #23022 on: April 04, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
Just over 10 miles of very similar loop to the last two. I extended it very slightly this evening to establish a very important fact: the fish & chip shop over the road is serving. This will be patronised in the near future.

Regarding cycling all the way around my town, given that it's Saarfend, I might manage it if it was low tide and I had a Fatbike, or high tide and I put my bike on one of these:

Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23023 on: April 04, 2020, 06:53:32 pm »
Just over 10 miles of very similar loop to the last two. I extended it very slightly this evening to establish a very important fact: the fish & chip shop over the road is serving. This will be patronised in the near future.

Regarding cycling all the way around my town, given that it's Saarfend, I might manage it if it was low tide and I had a Fatbike, or high tide and I put my bike on one of these:

But but but... you've lost your Tilly hat! You can't go to New York bareheaded!

Phil W

« Reply #23024 on: April 04, 2020, 07:05:04 pm »
Now there is a dated photo