Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2605268 times)

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24025 on: October 24, 2020, 04:00:16 pm »
Out with the Czeating Czech for a spin southwards-ish.  Stopped at Petworth to see the memorial to 28 people killed when the school got bombed during WW2.  Mass grave, quite harrowing.

Goodish weather turning to drizzle, one bit of navigational mistakery, a couple a rubbish overtakes by impatient twats.  Found a nice cafe in Storrington for coffee and a bacon sandwich. The wind had picked up by then but both it and we were heading north, so just span along.  A rude hill near the end as we approached the 'Sham then into the Sex Oak for a pint and a packet of crisps. 90km.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #24026 on: October 24, 2020, 08:23:12 pm »
Picked up the Shiny bike from Evans service department and tested All The Gears.
Got Quite Wet and massively earwormed- it's a long way to the top, if you want to rock and roll (in Burnhope).
Punishment pass on the 693 so I fought my way round the stupid wiggles on the bike path instead.
Tested the brakes mightily down Longclose Bank and then mud was the order of the day all the way home on the lines. Realised I hadn't actually eaten so stopped at the Farm Shop cafe for hot chocolate. She asked if I wanted it plain, what the heck? Crazy talk- I wanted ALL THE THINGS.

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #24027 on: October 25, 2020, 04:33:54 pm »
Good day out on the muni - 40km of local trails.  I'd forgotten how shit some of the local stuff is when wet, so some of it was too slippery to ride safely and one bit had so much clay that the wheel clagged up and had to be dragged behind me.

I am now lying on the sofa trying to relax my muscles, but keep finding they have tensed up again after five minutes not thinking about it.  Bit weird, but still better than trying to walk.

Pics on strava, coz my image hosting seems problematic:
Family's away, time for a play 😁

« Reply #24028 on: October 25, 2020, 05:00:05 pm »
A gentle 20 miles around the lanes of leafy Bucks. Last time out in shoes and bib-knickers I think. Boots would have prevented me getting wet feet 10 minutes in, having to traverse 15m of 3” deep water (the council have helpfully installed new impervious kerbs both sides, preventing drainage) but the toe covers kept a lot out. And at some point I clipped some dying vegetation with my left shin. Still, enjoyable enough, cold damp toes apart. Now the clocks have gone back it’ll be Friday afternoon before I’ll venture out again, weather permitting. Time to dig out the longs, and the “silk” glove inners.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24029 on: October 25, 2020, 05:48:28 pm »
About 25 miles (in shorts) into what seemed to be a perpetual headwind - time to change to the winter road-bike methinks.
Cycle:End-to-End     Resources and inspiration for the great adventure!
HoE Cycling Club

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #24030 on: October 25, 2020, 06:24:02 pm »
Lovely autumn morning in W.Yorks. Sunshine, fresh breeze, swirling leaves. Out for just over an hour before my dicky neck began to play up, but well worth it.

Lumpy route - nearly 300m of climbing - and the HRM readout suggested spikes up to the high 170s. I don't think so - that would put me well beyond the red zone these days!

« Reply #24031 on: October 25, 2020, 09:19:54 pm »
A short ride to Cookham via ncn50 with bjorn notp stopping at Costa for coffee  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24032 on: October 26, 2020, 06:49:13 am »
Out yesterday for a beautiful autumnal ride. Managed to dodge the rain and route was planned to be into wind on way out so a much easier ride home.

Weather was definitely cooling so went out looking like I was up for a spring classic with knee and arm warmers and an gillet

Notable occurrences were helping to guide a ban of I reckon 6'2" through a 6'6" width restriction. Thought we had better help as the road was starting to back up and he didn't look very confident.

Also the horse riders who decided not to wait 10 seconds for the two guys on bikes to pass before trotting out onto the road we were descending. I actually spotted the second rider who had a hi viz in first, started to slow then spotted the ninja dark horse dark rider already on the road. Being good and considerate cyclists we held back till they were out the
 road

Generally though a lovely ride through some small quiet lanes even if they were a tad muddy in places

Only downside is the guy I ride with who I got into riding and works shifts and doesn't have kids has been cycling a lot so know has the legs on me.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #24033 on: October 26, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
Short ride yesterday, mainly to pick up some bread.  Wasn't feeling right, maybe because my usual warm-up route round the village is blocked by road works, so I was into a stiff climb after 5 minutes. Also, legs were stiff from unusual exercise on Saturday, some perversion called "walking". Anyway, I was back home in just 28 km, and knackered into the bargain.

Hamstrings still hurt this morning. The bread was rubbish, too.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #24034 on: October 26, 2020, 10:55:58 am »
8.5 miles this am before work. I've decided to reinstate a bike commute, even though I work from home now. Lovely ride, actually. Hard because of my time off, but rewarding.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

« Reply #24035 on: October 28, 2020, 05:15:37 pm »
Had a great ride today, just into town on the town bike.  Nice dry weather, a bit blustery from the South.

First I cycled into York centre and saw that it was a seething mass of half-term visitors.  You would not believe there was a pandemic on. 

So I aborted my mission and switched to plan B which meant carrying on out of York to a less busy supermarket where I took on supplies, including a cut price litre of Southern Comfort form Mrs A, Milk, fruit, etc and a bottle of Cahors that I like.  Being unable to find some glue I needed I headed on out to B&Q where I texted Mrs A lest she think me overdue.  Encouraged by her response 'You Must Be Mad' I proceeded to complete my mission by purchasing said glue and turning for Home via the University.

At the Uni an entire brightly coloured peloton emerged 300m ahead. Surprisingly I was shortening their lead despite a slight uphill grade and having considerably more shopping than they did.  I caught them just as they reached the Fulford Road where they went left and I headed for Millennium Bridge where I met up with them again and followed at a distance until the Racecourse where they headed for the Tadcaster Road.  Very likely novices under supervision.

Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #24036 on: October 30, 2020, 08:41:22 am »
Dear wind. Please piss off.

Another dark and windy one last night. Dragged a few more out and we all dragged into the wind with the plan of headwind out tail wind home. That didn't happen as seemed to be headwind both ways.

Roads were quiet and a Tesla driver reversed quite a way down a country lane to a place we could safely pass which was nice

Other then that my usual waxing lyrical about dynamo lights as I lent someone my back up battery LED rear light as his died shortly after we had stopped for him to change batteries on his front, will let him off that as he knew was low so replacement was already mounted so only a quick plug unplug.

We also had some glow sticks for fun as well its dark and there isn't much fun at the moment.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24037 on: October 31, 2020, 10:46:37 am »
Just off to bikepack Wessex Ridgeway.

This could be a bit of moist break  ::-)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #24038 on: October 31, 2020, 11:19:46 am »
Just heard that restrictions might put the kibosh on the cafe stop tomorrow. Flask of hot chocolate and cake in the saddlebag it is then! I might strap a brolly to the crossbar too...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #24039 on: October 31, 2020, 01:56:31 pm »
First lockdown ride under the "1 hour within 1 km of home" rule: 18.6 km with 186 metres of climbing, which ain't bad if you consider that I had to slow for the same half-dozen intersections about 40 times and disentangle myself from the clutches of Jean-Claude, the limpet-like village depressive who likes nothing better than to share his despondency.  I finally got away by pleading a slow puncture that I hadn't got time to fix.*  I managed 52 minutes out of the hour all the same.  If I do this every day for the next month I just might get (a) fit or (b) dead, delete as appropriate.

* excellent excuse which I'm putting into the public domain, so feel free to use it.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24040 on: October 31, 2020, 08:24:06 pm »
Planned a 100 mile hilly route to our static caravan in Selsey.  It was epic, water everywhere, leaves stones and twigs lurking round every bend.  But great to get out and will be able to drain down the caravan tomorrow in case there are frosts over the month of lockdown.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

« Reply #24041 on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:46 pm »
Today, we drove (*checks van odometer - dammit, it's reset*) a long way, in order to ride our mountain bikes 18km.

There was bridge action:

and a dog in a onesie

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24042 on: November 02, 2020, 12:33:09 am »
Just off to bikepack Wessex Ridgeway.

This could be a bit of moist break  ::-)

Bailed after day two...

It was wet.
Wet chalk surfaces are like ice; came off.
4x4's had created channels > 1' deep in places - shootings's too good for them.
It was wet and windy
Struggling to make 8Km p/h against the headwinds from SW
"And will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountainscyclists of the earth?" - Yes, blown off twice on the Imber Path. ::-)
It was windy and wet

At that point I decided it was Type III fun, dropped off the high ridge, and hightailed it home.

Might try it again next year.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #24043 on: November 02, 2020, 01:26:30 pm »

I feel your pain.  Well done for sticking it out as long as you did.

Meanwhile, I haz dun another state-enforced 1k/1-hour time-trial, managing to get 57½ minutes on the bike this time and do 22.2 km/145m at a respectable lick, back and forth between two points ~2.5 km apart on the same 2 roads N times, with a bit of a hill at each end. Rather more fun than doing random loops around the village: more of a challenge. Only ointmental fly was the wind, which was great going one way but 'orrible going the other. And of course I finished with ~800 metres straight into it, arriving at T42 Manor with heart beating at around 110% of what the cardiologist says it should.

Pigged out on pasta for lunch and am now pleasantly drowsy.  Wake me when it's over.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #24044 on: November 02, 2020, 07:15:38 pm »
4x4's had created channels > 1' deep in places - shootings's too good for them.
Yes.
Next year's going to be another year and a better one.
Let's go for a ride to the Old Sawmill, Valentina, Buzz and you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #24045 on: November 02, 2020, 07:17:29 pm »
and a dog in a onesie

Umm. Errmm. Some dog owners are odd.
Let's go for a ride to the Old Sawmill, Valentina, Buzz and you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24046 on: November 02, 2020, 07:21:24 pm »
Trundled the Brommie down to the office to pick up the work car prior to some site supervision over the next couple of days.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24047 on: November 02, 2020, 09:53:28 pm »
Yes a one way DIY 200km to Kings Lynn to take advantage of that stonking sw / ssw wind. Arrived before sunset then watched sunset over Great Ouse before catching a near empty train home. That’s November RRTY ride done.

« Reply #24048 on: November 02, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »
30 or so miles with the CTC yesterday. A fabulous route taking in a lot of the old, Long Eaton based Derbyshire Pie Run routes but also much that was new to me.
Really good to get out with some folk especially on an otherwise solo weekend.
We somehow avoided almost all the rain.
Nice.

« Reply #24049 on: November 04, 2020, 02:37:01 pm »
My first day off under furlough having worked through the whole of lockdown MK1 decided to split days with my team

Cold start although was colder on the school run but a rare sunny and pretty wind free day. Absolutely loads of other bikes out including a few groups I'm guessing we're making the most of the last day being allowed for a while

Seemed to be an inordinate amount of roads works and traffic lights on smaller roads but I thinks that's because they're building lots of houses in these villages so more utilities needed.